Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

denied ssd

bergbberg Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I just got the letter today,and here Im getting ready to get a ct/myelogram on tuesday for continued pain,screw sticking thru vertibrae,failed fusion which means Im going to need a revision surgery.If it were not for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.I really need something to change for the better soon the stress is really starting to get to me.

• sounds like alot of stress for sure
    just try to stay calm and get thru your myelogram this wk...its not a painful test...
    sorry to hear about ssd denial how long did you wait to get that...i was denied ssdi i didnt have enough credit hours so they were sending it to ssd and i havent heard anything in long time....
    not sure were your from but most attornys will take ya on and take there percent from when you get back pay...
    so perhaps after you get your test done call around and get an attny to handle that for you....that will give you one less thing on your plate..
    wow how long have you had a screw sticking thru vert...
    i hope you get to a differant doc for another opinion and not one that did first fusion..
    keep posting ,,its good to vent things and ppl here have been thru most everything, so i'm sure you will get some great tips and most of all support that you really need
    hugs and i wish you the best for your test....make sure you follow the instructions they give you.... lay flat after test and drink alot of caffene....
    tc and let us know how it went..
    mary or watergirl
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • The screw has been like that all along none of the doctors ever said anything until I brought it up to doctor number 4.I finally swallowed my pride and started ssd in september what good that did me.

Thanks for caring
  • Berg,

Greetings! Sorry to hear you were denied. Now for the next step, are you going to get a lawyer that specializes in SSD cases? Some folks get them right out of the box, others wait to see if they are denied. They are limited on how much they can recover from you once approved.

I was with the federal govt. and had to retire under disability, and though I *could* have done it on my own, to be sure all was correct and squared, I did hire a lawyer on mine (SSD is internal). Don't give up, okay? This happens to like 80% on the first go around.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • berg, please don't give up... Speak with someone about the documents you submitted to support your claim, sometimes it helps to know which documents they need that will help you move toward a positive decision.

First things first. Do your doctors support your claim for Social Security disability? It can help if one (or more) will write a specific letter in support, detailing your diagnoses, treatment you've had, treatment you still need, and that your condition is not expected to get better, only deteriorate (if that's the case). More important than that, you need one of them to fill out a Residual Capacity form that shows what you can do and for how long during the day, and what you can't do.

When you filled out the forms detailing what you can/can't do during the day, did you try to paint a rosy picture (i.e., "I try to wash the floors and do the laundry... I can take care of my own personal care without help...", things like that)? A lot of people are uncomfortable with detailing the whole truth because in their minds it makes them look like a slacker, and we almost all try to do more than we should because that's just the way we are, and the way we were raised. You need to get past that thinking when it comes to filling out these forms, though.

What kind of supporting documents do you have in your file? Are there copies of reports from an MRI, CT, myelogram, or other procedures? Did you detail the doctors who have treated you regularly? Social Security is looking for a record of continued care on a regular basis, not a single visit here and a single visit there.

There are good websites out there that can help you understand and work through the process. You can also use an attorney who specializes in SSDI cases; they are paid only when your claim is approved. They will receive 25% of your back pay only, to a maximum of $6,000. I used one, but I would recommend after my experience that you use a local firm. Just my $.02 on that.

Make sure you immediately file for a reconsideration of your case. You can build on the file you already put together the first time around, and a new disability claims rep will review your file at that time.

If you feel your case is getting stalled somewhere along the line next time, don't hesitate to contact your U.S. senator. I did that, and within one day of filling out a form giving them permission to start a congressional inquiry, my attorney received a call from Social Security, I ran a notarized copy of my birth certificate downtown to their offices (they somehow neglected to request it previously, or notice that they were missing that piece of information), and two days later I received the decision on my award. I'm in no doubt that my senator got things moving for me, and I'm very grateful for his help.

Most of all, don't lose faith. I just went through this process myself, and was reaching the point where my husband and I would soon have to start the process to lose our house. I received the word that I got a fully favorable decision about 10 days ago, after 8-1/2 months.

Good luck with this. Please keep us updated about your case, there are people here who've been through the process and who care.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Make sure to get an attorney who only does SS. There may be some good ones in your area, and that may take some research. But there are a few good national firms that can help as well.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos