Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This nightmare never ends

bergbberg Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
For starters I injured my back at work in 2006 W/C jerked me around until 2009, then they finally denied me which meant I could go to my own doctor and get this fixed.My doctor does an ALIF L4/L5 on me in 10-6-09 and has me go back to work after 10 weeks,light duty only.My job was construction I was fired after 5 months because I couldt work full duty.They were real nasty to me the whole time.Anyway at my 3 month checkup with a big smile on his face my doctor tell me that he is closing his practise to become a professor, as if I should congratulate him? His last words to me were that the xrays dont look good and he wouldn't be surprised to hear that I had another surgery in 6 months.The doctor he referred me to wouldn't see me beause of W/C even though I had a denial letter.After many phone calls I found a doctor who would see me.He turned out to be a dud,I had maybe a 30 second medical evaluation with him before he up and leaves the room before I even knew what was going on.He didn't even bother to tell me if I was fused or not,this was at my 6 month for me.I had to find out in the lobby that I wasn't,my heart sank at the new right there in front of everybody.After many more phone calls I found yet another doctor,now were at 9 months he has me get an mri and ct scan his radiologist said I wasn't fusing but he said he thought I was.In either case he said he wouldn't do anything as long as the hardware is holding and to give it more time.He then sends me to a pm doctor to get a pain stimulator.I went and talked to the doctor and decided not to have it done,my thoughts on it were if im still fusing as he said it would be like putting the cart before the horse.So now here I am at 13 months with all the same pain and I find yet another doctor ,this make number 4 he has me get an xray and tells me it doesnt look good which I figured by now.I brought a copy of my xray from surgery and had him verify what I thought,I have a screw sticking thru my vertibrae,not good.Now Im scheduled for a ct/myelogram on tuesday and on wednesday I'll get the results and go from there.And today I get a letter from SSD I was denied.Gee my life is peaches throw on some more.

• It never ends, does it? That first doctor had no right to leave you hanging. I'm not sure if there's any legal recourse for medical abandonment but it sure seems like that is what he did. Appeal your SSD decision, if you re-apply instead of appealing, you'll lose all the back pay you'll get when you finally get approved. It is so hard when we try something, especially as serious as the surgery you had, only to fail/end up with the same or more pain. Be proud of yourself for trying. Try looking for doctors on sites that other patients rate the docs. Of course, not all of the reviews will be accurate but it could help you get a better idea of who you're about to see. I hope you find the strength to stay strong. Keep getting it out on this site, it's unhealthy to hold it all in. I'm always here to listen and I hear you. Be good to yourself, treat yourself with extra kindness and give yourself permission to be human. I hope things start to get back on track soon and that you find the help you need and deserve!

Much love and understanding, >:D<

• Thank you Lisa for your kind words.I do plan to appeal SSD with an attorney this time.As far as my first doctor abandoning me that's exactly what he did,I never would have gone to him had I known beforehand.I'm done with being mad at him/them ,I just want this all to end my stress level is thru the roof.
  • im so sorry you are going through this, its good you are able to let go the anger and move on from your original surgeon. its a process , isnt it.
    lets hope you get some answers from your myelogram and get some plan in action

please keep us posted , i wonder if as you say its the screw thats been pressing on your nerve all this time
    take care hugs
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry for all you've been through. I hope that the myelogram will show the reasons for your continuing pain. I know how frustrating it is.

Good luck and let us know what the findings are.

• The frustration at losing your doctor so close to the surgery. He should have let patients know he was making this move, unless he was trapped like many are with contracts to larger entities. In which case he may of had no choice but to not say anything until he was at the point that he had turned in his paperwork to leave. Doctors can be just like us and screwed as to what they can safely say when.

He may have not even known the doc he sent you to was not going to help you as often these doctors send you to people they have heard of through their grapevine or went to school with etc,

I still think you got a raw deal with all your searching to find a doc that seems to be helping you now.

You did well in waiting to do an SCS trial as those are best saved for last ditch efforts. When there is something unstable or say a screw like you mention you want to have those issues addressed before you move on to an SCS trial. If your pain ends up being medically controlled with meds I would still suggest you wait. My partial shoulder replacement did not stabilize pain wise and function wise till a few months past the 2 year point.

I hope the ct, myleo, show what is actually causing your pain and gives you a direction of hope.

As a side note, my PCP has MS and I am really hoping he will retire before I need to see him again.

For years I was impressed with how he persevered, now he is at a point that I find his lack of abilities to be a distraction at any office visit. I like him as a person, I just don't feel he is capable anymore. Since I don't want to change clinics I am somewhat stuck.

• Thank you all for your caring comments,info.I will let you know what the new doc says.I just wanted to add the first doc became a professor for the same people who fired me,how ironic.
  • Sounds like something we'd do here in the government.. It can be very frustrating that is for sure! Finding a decent doctor can be hard, one that listens and really hears what you deal with in a day and then is willing to help you to make it as good as it can be. I would imagine it's twice as hard with no or little income too. I hope you find some answers soon, but it will probably be later than sooner. I think lots of us are still searching after years of this BS! :) Take care, Marion
  • Just wanted to wish you luck!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I had my ct/myelo done,that wasn't exactly what I would call fun,no problems though no headaches.The test showed I'm not fused,nothing new there.Both screws are loose,the one screw sticking out of L5 doesn't seem to bother anything.the pain I'm having seems to be caused from the non fusion.
    My new doctor is setting me up with a external bone growth stimulator,I've been trying to get one since my 6 month mark with the last doctor.I'm just waiting on the insurance to aprove it.
    I also went to have a IME done,I swear those doctors sold their soul,I wish I knew some thugs just so they can feel what its like to be in pain
  • Oh Berg I am soo sorry that you are having to go through all of this!! That just sucks!!

So do they need to remove the loose screws? Do you have an idea of how long it will take the insurance to decide?? Sorry for all the questions...just concerned!!

I will keep you in my prayers!!
  • The screws won't need to be removed,I don't think they could be, safely anyway.The plan is to get the bone to grow then the screws won't move around anymore.As far as the stimulator the rep that called me said it takes anywhere from 48 hours to 2 weeks,the sooner the better I say.

Thank you for your concern

• I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this, but I'm really glad you didn't give up and continued to search for someone who could help you. I hope the external bone growth stimulator helps you a lot. I was referred to a PM for and SCS also, but I "just said NO!"

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Give up? NEVER!!! I want my life back.

Thank you Isteller
  • How I feel for you and especially your comment of just wishing to have your life back. Personally I was caught in the politics of insurers v's medics and still the pain went on. Sorry I have no words of wisdom to help but I truly can understand your frustration and hope the system can help you asap. One thing that this site has taught me is that when you get into that place of despare there will always be some special person who will listen and let you vent, it truly helps. Big Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • I just wanted to say hi and let you know how sorry I am for all the awful experiences you have endured. You have been through hell & back and I admire your strength and I pray that you get your bone stim very soon and start fusing finally!

• Just knowing that their are others that can relate to what I/we go thru really helps alot.

I'm usually a very private person,I never let anyone other than my wife know what I'm going thru or how I feel.The outpour of compassion from all of you is very much appreciated.
  • So welcome. I'm glad you have found another outlet to share your feelings, here at SH!

I too try to keep my daily suffering contained within my home, I down play everything to others (even family members). Some I just don't want to worry, like my parents, others (like co-workers) I don't want to be the lunch room topic of conversation!

Here you can be you Berg, we GET you! We are you!

Wishing all a comfortable level 3 or better Sunday.
    God bless.

• I can only imagine the frustrations you have been through but as someone else said, you were relentless in your quest to get good care. I am glad you are. I am just starting this nightmare and I am already very frustrated with the doctors. You are my role model :<)

This discussion has been closed.