Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having a tough day!!

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

On my 2nd week PLIF and still in so much pain!! Getting discourage I don't remember it lasting this long the pain. Seems like I have days where I can say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel then I take a few days back. :/

Maria~

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10
advertisement

Comments

• So Sorry MLT might want to ask your Dr about pain management I had My Surgery Oct 21st so I can relate I still do not sleep well wake up with leg pain .My nurse told me to take 2 pain pills at bed time I am On hydrocodone 10/500 I can have 6 per day so I take 2 when I wake up 2 in afternoon and 2 at bedtime and she also told me to try to take a sleep med at bedtime now to try I tried unisom lastnight no work lol so I am getting a different brand tonight I researched the top 5 and ambesleep was rated #1 so I am going to get that today I hope you get some relief MLT hugz to you
  • You have been through a lot over the years! One of the hardest things after spine surgery I found to be was having the patience to endure the long recovery. I don't need to tell you I'm sure that you are so early in recovery. Hang in there and keep us posted. Being here will help support you through those depressing moments.

Best to you,

Marianne
  • Thank you johnb3207 I having my husband go to the store this am to get me something. I feel soooo sleep deprived Night time is awful. I also haven't gone to the bathroom not sure if this is adding to the pain and discomfort! I been taking a stool softener but nothing.

Marianne, thank you to you as well it can be very depressing and today I'm having one of those days. My husband is a huge SUPPORTER :) I can see how tired he is and that is really bothering me today. I talked to him and says he is fine. I think it's just the guilt I'm feeling today. I have to kids the ages 5 and 7 they have been great. I have been dealing with one family member who just doesn't get it.

Maria
  • I'm so sorry to hear about the pain you're still in but seriously, you're still very early in your recovery and to still be in pain still is normal. Marianne is so right - patience after lumbar recovery is very difficult because it seems to take so long to feel better, but you will. It definitely seems like a two-steps-forward and one-step-back situation during recovery.

I don't know what you've tried for your bathroom issues, but peri-colace worked very well for me post-op and miralax is also good. I think the combination of a laxative and stool softener works best under the circumstances with pain medications.

As for sleep, some members have said they take benadryl so you might ask your doctor about that.

I also understand that it makes things more difficult seeing those around you that are also affected, but you need to concentrate on you right now and getting better. Two weeks is a very short amount of time post-op, so hang in there and try to measure your improvement in weeks, not days. The recovery road is a long one and I know you'll get through this.

We're here for ya any time you need us, though there's not much we can do but confirm what you're going through and give you support, but we'll do that all you need.

Take care, Maria.
    Cathie
  • not sure the spelling But I am on the stool softener also can have up to 3 per day I take 2 at bed time
    and every other day I tak a pack of Miralax with
    a half cup or cup of water no taste and this seems to work for me and yes this will make you very uncomfortable MLT .with bot it should work for you
    I hope so .I switched to benadryl capsules last night the pharmasist told my fiance that all sleep aids use benadryl anyway so I got equate brand last night I still did not see much improvement but i was in some pain and not comfortable so maybe that was it will try again tonight good luck big hugz to you
  • =)) Gosh Cath I just posted perty much what you said I should have read what you wrote before I posted lol
    oh well great minds huh to funny hope this cheered you up MLT I hate pain But i thin I am getting used to it
    kinda a bummer huh
advertisement