Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My introduction

sue in ohiossue in ohio Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello to all of you! I am a 61 year old retired school teacher, married 41 years to my soulmate, two sons ages 35 and 40, and 4 wonderful grandchildren ages 9,7,5, and 4. I developed fibro in 1994 following the sudden and unexpected death of my then 36 year old brother. I also had chronic myofascial pain.

In 1998 I had a spinal fusion in the L5 area due to a disc breaking up, and collapsing into the sciatic nerve. I have never regretted that surgery as it helped me a lot. Since retiring from teaching in 2003, I was off all pain meds and exercised daily. Then a few months ago my pain in the low back got much worse and my hip pain was keeping me awake at night. Xrays showed that I had some degeneration in the L4 and L3 discs, but not that bad. It also showed arthritis in both joints of the scaroilliac joint which along with adhesions along the sciatic nerve from where they scraped bone fragements during my fusion, may be causing the hip as well as the low back pain.

I am scheduled for an MRI with contrast next Wedensday to see what may be going on that did not show on the xrays. I have panic attacks when it comes to medical proceedures so I have refused an EMG and injections (unless they knock me out first). I have been a member of a couple of online support groups for 7 or more years and they are like my family. I am a group researcher for a Christian chronic pain group online as well so I pretty much buy every book out there on chronic pain and I also subscribe to The Fibromyalgia Network Newsletter which is super and very useful in understanding my illness. I found this site while searching for info on injections and such for back pain and I have been learning a lot reading here.

I think the emotional side of chronic pain, especially fibromyalgia, is giving me the most problem right now so I am working with my psychologist on that one. I went to him today for hypnosis for my claustrophobia with my MRI coming up and he taped it so I can listen to it each day and right up till they put me in the machine. Hypnotherapy is very relaxing and really helps with stress which is my number one enemy.

sue in ohio

• It's great to have you here with us. I had a L4/5 fusion in 08. I can relate to your pain in the low back and hip areas. I'm currently seeing an ortho who today referred me back to the NS who did my surgery. He feels I've developed stenosis at the level above the fusion.

Hope all goes well with your MRI. Keep us posted.

Best wishes,

• Hllo Sue and Welcome to Spine-Health!! I agree that a great forum can become an extended family!! I have been on this site for years, old and new forum, and I LOVE my "Forum Family"!! There are some awesome and knowledgable people on here...you will love it!!

I had a multi level fusion done back in 08' that did not help so I do understand where you are coming from!!

Have a look around and I look forward to getting to know more about you!! :)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.i am an older person as well. getting older seems to have it's own problems!! LOL!! i am so sorry you are not feeling well and they don't quite know what is wrong.. i know your MRI will go well. the tube is just for a few minutes and you are a strong person, i just know it!!! good luck to you and please feel free to stop by anytime. we have a lively discussion group in most all the forums, check out the "Fibro.... forum" it may offer you the most help and support... please feel free to have a good look around and make yourself at home.. you will make friends in no time and there is plenty of information on your condition.. good luck to you! Jenny :)