Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

If you've ever been in pain put your hand up. Feedback welcomed

SteveSSteve Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
We all know that being in abject pain can really affect the way we live our lives. Emotionally, physically, professionally, etc.

Some progress.. I recently searched "pain advocates" on Google and found myself on the phone with a very nice lady from one of the many non-profits out there (a very good resource for pain sufferers.) She told me that I needed to embrace yoga, stretching and other things that I just couldn't wrap my head around. Never the less, it stayed in my head. How could I improve my position? How do I rewrite my future? After wracking my brain for a while, I decided to accepted the fact that my pain wasn't going to get much better than it currently is, although, of course, I still search for a cure and better therapies for my SCT (T-11-T-12). Being "Sick and tired of being sick and tired," I'm not satisfied with being medicated into last Tuesday anymore. I've just learned to be happy with the level of comfort that my current meds afford me (current meds not currently being afforded by current ins. co.) Working on that though. If we let pain define us, it becomes our identity. We must become bigger than our pain, but how? I'm not sure, although, I live with that challenge daily, except of course, when the pain is so strong that I can't think of anything else?

So how can we be bigger than pain? Again, I'm not sure, but I would love some suggestions. I know this, I owe it to myself, my loved ones and my future to find out.

So... Any thoughts?

• Sorry, I jumbled up some paragraphs. It was kinda disjointed and hard to read. But surprise, I was in a lot of pain tonight as I wrote it. You guys can relate, I'm sure.
  • it wasn't hard to read, i heard you loud and clear. yah, for me too, accepting chronic pain has been quite the journey, and it is not yet over. just hang in and do what you can do. see you around the boards
  • Hello Steve...yes I agree your post was clear as a bell!

I know that we have all went through this at one point or another...I am going through it all over again since the car accident night before last...How do we do it?? THAT is the $64000 question!!

I always tell myself that ANY day I get out of bed is a great one!!!
  • I didn't have any problem reading your thread either and understand completely.

It's not just the pain either that we deal with, it's the other stuff too that comes along with it like the post I just made about being cold all the time because of my hardware and the weather.

I guess for me, I just keep going. I think about the pain, but divert my attention to other things like walking my puppy, playing online games, applying for jobs, grocery shopping, movies, books, whatever.

It's like you just get used to the pain, you know it's going to be there, and on those days when it's "normal" pain, you just go about your business and try not to think about it, but take your pills so you can keep rolling along. Some call it pushing through the pain, but I call it just living my new normal life. I may not like my constant companion, but I also know it's going to be there so I keep going and just take it with me wherever I go and whatever I do.

But on those especially bad days, which are fewer and farther between for me because I usually know what sets them off, I baby myself and take the day off from life. I do whatever I want whether it's napping, sitting in my recliner with a heating pad and a movie, or whatever.

Pain doesn't define me, it's just something I have that is always in my mind, but pushed to the back burner. And it's nice to have the meds that allow us to be more normal than if we didn't have them to help.

Take care Steve.
  • Well said Cathie!!! You are soo right!! :):)
  • There is a lot of merit to Yoga and stretching.

I put one foot in front of the other each day in order to have a life as comfortable and rewarding as possible. I made up my mind that I wasn't going to just sit around and watch life just pass me by. People have been enduring pain as long as people have been alive. I always think "why is it that the pioneers of days gone by, could have the same or similar issues with the spine and yet survive and flourish?" For one I think that sheer determination and not knowing that they could be suffering less. Becoming adaptable and willing is a big part of it for me. I hope that you find your answer soon.

• I know I wont find the $64,000 answer, but for now, I'll take a bunch of $6,400 answers, and each post enriches me.

I try not to tell people about my pain, since they are powerless over it. They just wince, kinda knowingly, and say I'm so sorry. I do however, explain the syndrome to the people closest to me. I say imagine for a moment that your in pain. Imagine your expression and how you lose your peripheral vision. When one is in pain, you lose your peripheral vision both literally and figuratively. We become myopic. Things around us either disappear or go out of focus; including but not limited to loved ones, hobbies, current events and the like. When it is at its worst. it can be like seeing life through a peephole.

One $6,400 answers for me is maximizing the good days. I make a list and get only I know when it is right to finish it. Having grown up with a very strong work ethic, it took a long time for me to distinguish between being lazy and needing to take a time out, or day out for that matter; an option that sadly all of us can't do, either because of work, children and the like.

Thanks again.
  • My goal after my recovery from my TLIF I want to get my butt in really good shape and stay that way for the rest of my life. As for the yoga comment I swear it is what got me into my first surgery years ago. I would never do something like that without professional help. my overall goal is to be a healthy person and stay off meds...lol! Don't believe it right now but trying to have faith.

• Objectives...goals...hope. Just as Angela says. That's what keeps me going. Gotta have something to aim for. Gotta try everything to help ourselves and it distracts from the pain.

Yoga and Pilates are great BUT you need a very good teacher if you have "proper" back issues. I would also reccomend private lessons for the first few to ensure you are not damaging or over straining yourself.

• Are very important to get us through the day and through life. But, the important thing is not to make unattainable objectives, baby steps are the key. Of course, always try and push yourself that much further, but know your limits and don't over do things.

I personally found yoga helps so much with my sciatic pain. I have a wii fit, it lets you know if you're not balanced or standing properly, and you don't have to embarrass yourself in public, lol. There are many of the stretches that aggravate my neck, so I just stick with the moves that don't hurt, but try one of the others every once in a while to see if I can.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • After having about 10 surgeries in the past 2 1/2 years I found that I have to take the good days and run with them. I have never really given up hope that I will have less pain in my life. In less than a month I will have my second fusion. Am I stupid for trying again? No. Cause if I dont try, I will never know if it would be the one thing that could give me my life back.
    I have had alot of disappointments, but, You just gotta have faith that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I guess maybe because it is all I have, to grasp on to. That and family. I am only 50 and feel that I have way to much time left not to set goals of getting better, living life and reaching for that next level!
This discussion has been closed.