Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stupid drivers

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Well, after my left arm/hand finally calming down to a "comfortable level" from last week, on my way to work this morning I almost get hit by some idiot in his pick-up. He went to move over into my lane, obviously without looking. So I slam on my brakes, as he was going to hit the front of my truck with the back of his, and now I'm right back to where I was, except now my back is worse, too. The worse thing is that he had his little girl with him, she looked to be about 5 years old. How do people drive so carelessly with their kids in their vehicles? He pulled into the same place I was going (Tim Horton's, of course, lol) and cut me off AGAIN in the parking lot!!! I swear, had I not been in my uniform, I would have got out despite the pain and given him an insight as to the pain I'm feeling...

So, I stopped into work (it was only a couple of minutes away), told them I was going home, and had to endure the 25 min drive back on our horrible roads, and more idiots behind the wheel. My hubby was upset when I told him, and he asked if I got his information. I said no, because he didn't actually hit me, because I had slammed on the brakes and swerved. Would that matter, if they don't actually hit you? Is there action you can take against people like that?
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• Sorry to hear that bad driver caused you to miss a day at work. I know if you suspect a driver is under the influence or careless driver you could call the police about him but I'm sure it's not the first time he's done this careless driving and I hope they catch him one day. I wish everyone could have an upfront camera that police have in their police care to show these bad drivers. I hope you feel better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry;

I'm pretty stiff and hurting that much more today, amazing how just the smallest of jolts can cause so much pain.
  • I'm sorry to hear this and can certainly relate. No, the law won't do anything to someone who almost hits you. I got rear-ended two days before my fusion. It was just the icing on the cake. Even when you're not hit, but instant tensing your body does to prepare you for the impact will cause you an awful lot of pain. I hope you manage to relax and get to feeling better.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • This has happened to me several times and you are so right just bracing for it and the impact of slamming on brakes does cause a lot of pain. I have nearly hit someone before because I couldn't see them thanks to my husband hanging his uniform up and blocking my blind spot, so I get that accidents do happen, but I also think a lot of people just don't pay attention. I've always been afraid to drive and things like this, getting rear ended and the almost getting hit makes that fear so much worse. I'm broken enough I don't need some idiot hitting me and helping that along. I hope you are feeling better.
  • I take information of incidents on a regular basis. When I see something blatant. It not often, but it happens, as all of us know.

Date, Time, Lic plate, Colour of veh, How many in car, and a narative of what took place.

The last time this happened, it was a senior, who almost killed me and my wife.

I reported the thing to the RCMP, along the lines of, "I am concerned that this driver had a problem, that I could not determine. I wonder if you might check them, so we both know that they are OK."

RCMP came back 4 months later, He asked for a retest. But the guy needed a Dr signature. Dr would not sign it, for a retest. Dr knew that if he signed off on the guy being fine to drive, under the meds he was on, he would be liable too.

On a personal note - it is the reason I am so cautious!
  • Me, too, Centurion, me too. I'm always situationally aware when driving, and mostly hyper-vigilant, but that comes with driving a lot overseas. So far since moving here 2 years ago, I've been side-swiped and rear ended, and narrowly avoided quite a number of other incidents. I was once heading through a green light when a little old lady decided to turn left on her red light. Almost t-boned her, was so close I could see her blue eyes that matched her blue hair when my truck stopped within an inch of her car. What does she do? Looks and continues on with her turn!!! She could have been rear ended from the other side!! It was a little old lady who side-swiped me, too, I was already in the left turning lane when she decided to move over to turn as well. I got the finger even though she left a big scratch down the side of my truck from her mirror. And, she didn't bother to stop either. The guy who rear ended me didn't leave much damage either, we were in backed up traffic to get off base after work, so just moving inch by inch. It was however, my 2nd day back to work after surgery, so that one really hurt. Someone asked me later if he was drunk, apparently he's a big drinker. The guy on Friday, though, was younger than me, and had his little girl in the front seat of his truck, so he was just a plain idiot. I was so tempted to get out and yell at him, but I was in uniform, and I didn't want to scare the little girl. He doesn't know how lucky he was, lol. You have a good idea though, next time, because inevitably there will be a next time in this godforsaken city, I'll take down the info and report it as erratic driving.
  • I live in Montana, and these people don't know how to drive here either. They think if they have 4 wheel drive on ice it means that they can drive like maniacs. I can't tell you how many times I have seen or avoided accidents by people who drive like crap. Ugh. I understand your frustration.

Sending you gentle hugs and healing thoughts.

• I just about hit a stupid driver this afternoon.

Last Tuesday we had rain in the middle of the night, which turned into snow that morning, and the tempature plunged. Everyday since then it has snowed. So the roads are really bad, with ice under the snow, and the City is really behind.

So I'm headed home, the road is one that the city hadn't got to. I'm about 10 feet from a hotel exit when this retard comes out the exit, turning left on to the road I am on, without looking. I put it in neutral, softly pressed the brakes and hit the horn. I was only going about 25km per hour, and I started sliding. There was no way I could stop in time. The guy hit a rut which stopped him, if he hadn't I would of smashed right into him. He's lucky a car wasn't coming from the other direction since he stopped in the rut closest to the middle of the road. A car coming from the other direction would not of been able to miss him.

I can't understand how anyone would turn on to a road without looking to see if there is a car coming!
  • It's a shame that the holiday season brings out the worst of bad drivers and turns otherwise good drivers into knuckleheads.

Everybody's got too much on their plates and instead of keeping their focus on the roads and the cars around them they are thinking of their "to do" lists ..... it's just crazy....so everybody be on Rudolph "RED" alert this holiday season and mind your manners on the roads!

Take care and glad you're okay Kelly!

This discussion has been closed.