Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First timer!

LaYSaY787LLaYSaY787 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Folks! This is all so new to me. I am 23 and just found out in May that I have scoliosis. In what I thought was a 30 degree curve is really 50. Previous Drs had just been reading the X-Ray on a disc and not on actual body size film. After seeing one of the top Orthos in my area, he suggests the posterior spinal fusion surgery is the best option for me. I am told my condition will only get worse with time and increase the pain. I all ready have difficulties in my day to day activities and I just really cant imagine things getting worse! This is so much to consume in such a short time! I am very dissapointed in my Primary DR to have missed something like this. I have alot of concerns for my future. Things such as pregnancy or ten years from now after the surgery. Will it be as great as the surgeon says? I was planning a wedding up untill this news of surgery and will now be postponing it to recover and because of the cost. I have been reading these forums and it seems like you all have alot of encouraging things to say! I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

• Oh LaySay...Welcome to Spine-health!! You are right in that this forum is FILLED with caring, understanding and precious people!!

I am so sorry that you are having to face all of this at such a young age...and postponing your wedding...:(...I am truly sorry!!

I have no experience with what you are going through...just a yucky back here...but I just wanted you to know that I will be saying healing prayers for you and if you ever need to talk or scream....just PM me...I am a very good listener!!

You will be in my thoughts!!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please be sure and get a second opinion! you will find this to be a big benefit to you in the long run!! the more information you have the better.. and confirmation is always best! please have a good look around and check out your condition.. we have lots of info and plenty of new friends to make.. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thank you so much both of you. This is the 4th Dr I have seen on this. I plan on educating myself as much as possible on this, I will post updates though!! Thanks again for your time!
  • Hi, and welcome to the Spine-Health support forum. So glad you decided to joint the discussions!

I can hear the consternation in your words over not having this diagnosis come to light sooner and am so sorry to hear that you're postponing your wedding to have scoliosis surgery. I can't speak directly to your concerns but can add a bit of encouragement. Two months ago I had a 2-level posterior spinal fusion at L4-L5-S1 to correct for scoliosis. I am 62 years old and my scoliosis is degenerative in nature and not as severe as yours but it had caused my spine to change shape enough that my L5 nerve root was being pinched and causing increasing leg pain. I had an S-shaped curve, with the larger curve being above the surgical site and even though that curve benefited from the lumbar correction, it will still likely need to be corrected at some point in the future.

What was to have been a 5 hour surgery turned out to take 6 1/2 hours because my bones are soft and this necessitated modifying my vertebrae instead of forcing them into alignment with the rods/screws. The good news is that aside from some residual nerve pain in my leg from disturbing the nerve I am feeling great! I'm off all pain meds except a little Lyrica for the nerve pain and I'm weaning myself off of that. My surgical site doesn't hurt at all and I am now out of the rigid clam shell brace and in a corset for support when I'm doing more aggressive activities. I feel so good that I literally have a hard time remembering I just had major surgery! I do all the cooking, grocery shopping, housework, and even cut 3 wheelbarrows full of wood for our wood stove last Thursday. My surgeon knows how active I am and is in full support of the things that I've been doing. Well, he doesn't know I cut wood but have no doubt he won't have a problem with that either. He has said I can do pretty much anything I feel like doing--and I feel like doing everything, and more, than I did before surgery.

Your scoliosis surgery will be a BIG one, no denying that, but that doesn't mean you will automatically have to check out of life for a year or two. For one thing, you're young and no doubt have strong bones--a big plus for you. I'm here to be a voice of encouragement to you, and once you're on the other side of this surgery I'm betting you're going to feel so much better overall. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Thank you Inchworm! Reading your story definately helps me with all of this. I am in a way anxious to get the surgery done and over with so I can start healing, and hopefully be able to do the things I cant do now. I still have a couple of months until that time, but everyones kind words and advice has definately made this easier for me. I am thankful my Dr told me about this website!