Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSDI tuition assistance

TeddyDogTTeddyDog Posts: 58
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Matters of the Heart
I am not really sure where to put this so I guess here is as good as anywhere.

My son is turning 18 and is going off to college next Fall. I have been on SSDI for about 4 years. Does anyone know if there are any types of grants or tuition assistance for college students who are the children of people who are on SSDI?

Thanks in advance.


  • Oh, and we live in MA.
  • When I was in College I went to the Guidance Counselor's office and they found me a grant. Also if it's a particular occupation you can find grants online if he wants to be a Teacher or Carpenter and check out their website. Hopefully others will have some ideas for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You might want to PM SpineAZ (Karin), as she has a lot of info regarding SSDI.

    She might run across your post first, and post a reply.

    If not, I would suggest PM'ing her.

    Good luck,

  • Have you gone to the states SSDI Website yet? http://www.ssa.gov/boston/MA.htm

    You may have luck getting an answer through there. I did see where they talk about the children's benefits stopping at age 18 after completion of the 12th grade.

    Like Charry says, you may have some luck looking into grants.

    Good to see you on the forum today.

  • Often there is tuition assistance for low-income families. So if your spouse doesn't have a high paying job this might work in your favor. Often the school websites have info on tuition assistance.
  • Thanks to everyone....I should have been more specific.

    We have researched grants and scholarships throught the FAFSA application, through my son's and wife's place of work, Federal/State grants, and private grants. Hell, I am even exploring grants from Iceland because he is 25% Icelandic. What I am looking for is any information specifically designed for the kids of people on SSDI.

    We are not low income, have three cars, we own our home, etc, etc.

    Again, I appreciate all the help but am only really looking for SSDI scholarship information.
  • Sorry but I know as of 20 yrs ago SSDI did not help with schooling. My dad was on SSDI, when I attended college. I received no extra help. My cousins who's father died, when they were little. Went on to college, and they didn't continue to get benefits, or tuition help from SSDI.
    Like I said this was all 20 yrs ago or so. Things may have changed.
Sign In or Register to comment.