Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd surgery date

asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all,

Well a brief update, since my ACDF on August 3rd that seems to be healing quite well with just minor discomfort in my neck at times. Arm and shoulder numbness are pretty much gone and my spinal cord which was in severe danger is protected so this seems to be a great sucess.

Now for the sequel, in part two the surgery will focus on L-4 to S-1 where most of my severe pain emminates from. I have nueropathey in both legs and feet. Severe left lef and hip pain. Can't stand for over 10 minutes without terrible pain, sitting normally causes pain so I have to lean. Sleeping positions is a hassle, and walk has become more and more difficult. I have been on pain meds for 3 years which do help a great deal with my pain but add to my depression and rob me of personality and drive to desire to do anything.

I am requesting you all's thoughts and prayers as i go to another surgery. My surgery date is December 14th and i have to be there at 5 AM so i assume the surgery will begin at 7 AM. I am some what nervous about this and what the outcome may be.

You all have been so helpful before and I thank you again for the previous support. If you can, please give it to me once more. God Bless you ALL and i keep you all in my prayers as well.

God Bless

• will definately be in my thoughts and prayers. Soo sorry that you are going through more issues...with your lumbar region now. Best of luck to you in your road ahead, to pain free/less days.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Good luck!! Your second paragraph described me exactly before my fusion (13 days ago). I was really nervous, but it all worked out. They had some trouble controlling my pain at first, but once they got the meds dialed in I felt really good. I'm 13 days post-op and am doing great. Matter of fact I took my longest walk yet (a shade over 1/2 mile), I have not been able to do that for months! I hope that you have the same great results that I have had.

Best wishes, and warmest regards,
  • I can definitely relate, although the time between my ACDF and my TLIF were much longer than yours and my TLIF was only one level.

I was also pretty nervous before surgery, and that's perfectly normal, but with a good surgeon like you had for your ACDF, I'll bet everything comes out fine.

Being a lumbar surgery this time, be prepared for a bit more pain and healing time. Make sure you're ready at home with a raised toilet seat, silk PJs or sheets, a walker and grabber tools.

I'll be thinking of you and will say a prayer that this one goes as well as the other. You've got my support Al, along with all the other spineys here.

Take care,
  • Well, I know the spineys would come through as always with all the encouragement, support, and prayers anyone could hope for.

I also want to thank you all for the very helpful tips so I can be prepared and know what to expect. That really helps take the fear out of it.

So nd2078 you said something about pain issues until they got you dialed in correctly, if you can explain further what the problem was and the solution I'd love to avoid that issue. They can be skimpy on pain meds at times.

God Bless you all and thank you.

AL S
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad you're doing well since your ACDF. I'll be sending prayers and best wishes to you for a successful second surgery. Hopefully it will take care of the severe symptoms you've been having. I know it must be very hard to face another surgery so soon but also understand the excitement you must feel hoping to be rid of the continuous pain.

Good luck my friend. I know it will seem like a terribly long time until Dec 14 but it will be here before you know it.

Take care and I'll be around to cheer you on hopefully. Sorry I've been so wrapped up in my recovery lately that I haven't been corresponding with you like I should. I'll try to do better.

• I'll be thinking of you for Dec. 14 for your lumbar surgery. Two surgeries in one year seems a lot. Good you're healing well from your neck surgery. I hope you get relief from your next surgery. Saying a prayer for you and wishing you a successful recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • An issue I had with pain and medication in the hospital was that I was on a morphine drip line. I could press the button for medication every 8 minutes or so. This was the only pain medication I was on.

The first night (I didn't get out of recovery until 9:30pm) I would fall asleep for 45 minutes or so and wake up in an enormous amount of pain and call the nurse. The pain was so bad because I was asleep and couldn't press the button to administer my meds. So they decided that they'd put the pump on a small constant drip to control the pain while I was sleeping, but I could still press the button for more pain relief while I was awake. That was a good solution to my problem.

That might be something close to what Nathan was talking about, I don't know, but just make sure you tell the nurses if you're not getting enough pain relief. It's their job to keep you as comfortable as possible while you're in their care.

• After I left recovery I was alright, but after I got back to my room the pain started increasing. I told my nurse to call the Doc, but I caught them at shift change, so mainly it was just bad timing. It took them awhile to get their $h*t together. I mostly chalk it up to the hospital, I've had several issues with myself and other family that have been treated there. It is not my favorite hospital by a long shot.

• Hi Al, just wanted to offer my support and prayers to the others on this post. I am sure you are nervous, you would not be human if that were not the case but this could make such a difference to your life. I hope it goes well and you heal soon.

Maxine :)))
  • Al,

I'll send you thoughts and positive energy that all goes well. Since you too have neuropathy, I'm gonna live vicariously through you to see if it (the neuropathy) goes away. Fingers are crossed for ya Al!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I can't tell you all again what the messages of support mean to me. I have become what feels like a useless blob of pain and pain pills withering away. That's what made this decision for me. I pray this will relieve enough pain to dramatically cut down the need for pain pills so i can't start living again. i am not trying to sound dark at all, I have many many blessings that I am thankful for. I am just saying how this all feels to me. Just depression, lack of energy, and pain involved in the simpleist tasks. Can't drive long, stand, sit, or even walking gets hard.

Well in any case I would be interested in hearing if any else has felt this way and how you got out of it. I do feel the pain pills make it bearable, but I strongly feel they take away alot as well.

Please let me know if anyone relates to what I'm saying. Also once again, thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers.

Your brother in spine hood.
    AL S
  • Howdy Al,

Hell ya I can relate brother! I haven't had surgery *yet* on my lumbar - it's coming in the next 12 months or less. From what you've described of the pain, the pills, the neuropathy, I so relate and understand. *HUGZ*

I avoid taking Darvocet and will sit in pain as I hate that it basically makes me so tired, the day is done so I sleep - boring! My direct back pain (mechanical) is increasing daily, and my Lyrica doesn't put a dent in it, nor Lidoderm patches seem to be knocking it down. Lyrica helps the leg pain (neuropathy) big time though...

Depression. Well, I like to think with me I am more on an intermittent 'bummed' mode, but just washing a few dishes, or sweeping, or loading the dish washer kills me! My standing without leaning on something is down to 5-10 minutes. It gets old fast, especially when there are things going on that you want to be involved with - nature walks (nope, too uneven, too long), shopping (nope, too much standing and very slow walking), chores (can spread them out, but too long and painful), ahh never mind, you get the point. I'm with ya! You are NOT alone Al, okay? Support *HUGZ*

• Thanks for that Brenda, I was just wondering how others are dealing with this stuff and espicially the unwanted effects of pain medications. To me, there is definately a huge downside and what you descibe for activites is me totally which makes me feel like a slug.

As to the nueropathy i tried several medications that did nothing and then I saw a neurologist who i feel is a smart cookie because he prescibed medication called OXCARBAZEPINE 300mg 3 x a day. What since I had tried so many so called great drugs already and still suffered horribly even with standard pain medciation I wondered if it would be even worth my co-pay of $7.00 to fill it. Well I got home and took it and miraculously within 30 minutes the neuropathy was relieved by 70%. I couldn't believe it and that was 7 months ago and it's still doing a great job with little or no side effects like norcotics which I have to take for my regular back and leg pain.

Neuropathy for me was layerd over the other pain issues and seemed to come on very quickly. I went to the ER 3 or 4 times because I just couldn't handles this additional pain so this was truly a miracle for me at least. It doesn't work on anything but the specific nerve type pain involved with nueropathy, but I might have gone insane if that didn't get relieved quickly at that time, it was just so horrible and relentless as I'm sure you all know.

So if nothing is working well, just give it a try you may be very surprised. Oh, there was one minor side effect. I felt some dizziness for the first few days but compared to the pain it wasn't an issue.

God bless and thanks for your input, I need it I have been feeling quite alone and hopeless. I feel like so much of my life is over and my wife has to many burdens which makes me feel even worse.

Hope to hear from you again and let me know if you happen to try that medication if your doctor feels it would be right for you.

Take care,

Ole broken down Al ;)
    AL S
  • Brenda!!! Hehehe.. Al, I too get my down moods, believe me! My hubby was wonderful on my last appointment with my NS - the news wasn't good. I was having a private (silent) pity party as we drove home. My hubby sees this and asks what wrong, you're too quiet. I sniveled that "you didn't sign on for this $hit." He then zinged right back..."In sickness and in health - yes I did!" That actually zapped my tears away! :)

So far for me, Lyrica (max rec. daily dose) is keeping umm... 80-85% in check. My back pain (mechanical) is killing me of late. I wash 3 or 4 dishes and I am leaning over the sink, or seeking a chair where I can lean forward. Today in our RV, I cleaned the bathroom from head to toe, then did some dishes and cleaned the mirrors and windows (inside), and I was wanting to die! Pain level 10? No, I doubt it, but 8 easily. I laid down, folded myself up, wiggled around and the pain backed down. We BBQ'd dinner tonight, and I had a heck of a time getting into position to sit, and worse to get up! No walk with the hubby tonight.

Please don't feel like a "slug", we aren't, but too we are probably HARDER on ourselves than our loved ones many times! We do what we can and go from there. If anything, my hubby gets mad at me when I push to hard to "accommodate" him!!! Ps.. My neuropathy came on very quickly after my L2/3/4 hernias showed up. I am still confused as to why they call it neuropathy vs radicular? The pain matches the Dermatome to a T!!

"Hope to hear from me again..." Hehehe... Of course you will darlin!! :) *HUGZ*

• Ok, you're right, my wife says the same things as your husband and I thank God that I am so blessed to have a loving, support, and patient spouse.

I know I haven't been spelling or typing the best, but my focus is even getting shot down, could be the pain pills I guess. I do agree with you about the nueropathy, mine came on so quickly which is not typical for nueropathy. I say that because the docs called it that and it descibed what I was feeling so I went with it even though they would say it usually doesn't come on so quickly, mine did, almost just boom and it was there with a vengence.

I guess my big fear right now is the surgery not working and me becoming stuck with this pain and thus pain meds for good. He told me he had other thing he can do if this doesn't solve the problem which is my biggest fear next to not waking up.

Thank though, what you said helped so much and i truly appreciate the support. Well the 14th is coming and when the pain is bad I am ready to go right now.

For now everything I do seems like a monumental effort or I am in so much pain after small tasks, and or exhausted which is what gets to me so much.

I had the ACDF back on August 3rd, but I've heard the lower back is worse as far as post op pain and recovery. I'd like to know what to expect in that area as well.
    Thanks again and i wish you and your husband a wonderful Thanksgiving.

take care and drop a line if you get the chance.

AL S
  • on the way for you, Al. As you know from your neck surgery, recovery is not a piece of cake, but you'll get there eventually. It took me a full 18 months before I began to feel normal, but now I'm feeling great.

Best wishes,
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Alex,

Sounds like our spouses are similar in that they look out for us - and see things *we think* we hid from them! My hubby can tell when he walks in the door that I "overdid" something!! (G) If you do a search on Google for "Spoon Story", you might want to show it to your wife, my hubby loved it!!

As for your spelling and such, (chuckle) haven't seen too many! See, you're picking on yourself when you don't need to darlin!! *HUG*

My ACDF was Aug 09, but thanks to dissimilar hardware in worse pain and situation than before my last surgery! Well, not true...the nerve damage has been stopped? I have a revision in the future (my hubby wants me to go to another surgeon), so not thrilled, but it is looking more and more likely. I don't drink sugar in my coffee, but something is added of late! Try to roll with it Alex. Yeah Chronic pain is a bitc*, but we have to play the cards dealt as they say. :)

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. *HUGZ*