Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatic Nerve Pain!!!!!!!!

hinoblehhinoble Posts: 33
Hey all!!

I have been diagnosed with a Mild Lumbosacral degenerative disease, largely confined to L5-S1. I have numbness and burning in my right leg from my foot that radiates to the right side of my hip and buttock (right side), and my left leg feels like weak dead weight. Apparently the herniated disc has caused the sciatic nerve to flare up big time.

Just had my 2nd steroid epidural and the burning and pain has increased in my butt and leg. Even my chiropractor has run out of options. This crap is driving me nuts because I cannot sit for long periods of time. My EMG tests states that I had no nerve damage which is good.

Anybody out there with similiar issues and found something that works for them. Any advice is most appreciative.

• Yes, I've used Prolotherapy Injections to strengthen the ligaments in my lumbar thus reducing backpain and leg pain. I'm not 100% painfree yet but expect to be soon and should avoid the knife. You can search youtube on "Prolotherapy Lecture" for more info.
  • I have no "good" ideas - sorry :(

My sciatic pain was driving me nuts!!! When there nerve finally after 4 yrs "dies" off ( it's really just pinched/compressed now ) I was soooooo thrilled.

Yes I lost some use of that leg and use a cane now, but would never trade it back for that pain.

I have had offers from Drs to "fix" it and I said NO - go figure ;)

Hope you find some help :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Sciatic pain. I've had relief from getting a nerve block in my hip and I also take Cymbalta which helps with the leg and foot pain. I hope it eases up for you with the epidurals. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had relief from neurontin and lyrica (but side effects were too much for me from lyrica) and I couldn't live with neurontin for the rest of my life either so I ended up in surgery.

• Thanks for all the info. I had a MRI of my cervical and thoraic spine today. Waiting for the results from the doc. He looked at my earlier MRI that showed a mild herniation L4-L5 S1 and said it looked fine and said it may be a disc further up. Are there any discs further up that would cause burning and numbness in the foot and leg?

• MRI Diagnosed with Multi-level degenerative disc disease L-2 - S1 with lower facet hypertrophy and neural foraminal narrowing. I have numbness and burning in my right leg that begins in my calf and radiates to my right foot then radiates to the back of my R thigh then my R hip and buttock finally resting in a painful knot on the left side of my lower spine. EMG is normal. 1 year ago the pain was largely in my lower back and buttock and hip. Have run the gamut of Ice packs, Physical Therapy, Chiropractors and natural healing -No injections, and no meds at this time because I receive no relief. Currently on special diet, exercises, supplements. Real relief if I stand and walk. Pain increases with sitting more than 15 minutes or laying without maintaining lordosis for long periods. "Tapping" on acupuncture points provides temorary relief. Looking for ideas myself -