Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I just loosing my mind?

MissPiggy1MMissPiggy1 Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
I feel I am at a point I am literally losing my mind. I can't remember things my husband asked me to do for him less than five minutes later what he asked me if I got it done. I am so afraid of this happening to me. My mother is in final stages of alzheimers and its a very sad disease. My doctor just says its the medications for pain I have been on for the past six to seven years. I get so confused. Driving is the only thing I feel I can do and not feel confused, I don't get lost and I think clearly.
Sometimes I forget things at work and everyone knows "Marlas on another memory loss". I write things down but when I read it back it makes no sense and really bad trying to explain to my husband which has been so patient with me and slowly getting irratated with me. I take my meds as prescribed and nothing more.
The arguing is getting more frequent with less and less patience from both of us.
Any suggetions?
I know I've written something similar to this in the past, but its gotten worse.

• What are you taking? Have you spoken to your doctor to see if you can make some changes? I know part of the reason I stopped working was because of short term memory loss. My husband has come to accept that I have no memory and is surprisingly accepting...of course he does love to tease me.
  • I take:
    600mg Neuronton one 3X daily
    300mg Wellbutrin one daily
    5-325 Percocet written one 3X daily and only take on midday.
    4mg Zanaflex written one 2X daily but only take one @ bedtime
    Knee surgeon changed me from Zanaflex to 500mg Robaxin @ bedtime.
    Plus I take vitamin supplements
    Stresstab with Iron
    600mg Calcium
    500mg Lysine
    Vita D
    Vita C
    I eat fairly healthy except extra 30lbs
    could quit the diet sodas and a nightly bowl of ice cream(I blame my husband for the ice cream)
  • with the doc. I found when I was neurontin and lyrica (at different times) it was particularly bad along with the pain meds.

Hang in there.

• I would bet it's the neurontin. That stuff affects everybody differently. I know people that take it like you with no problems, but I know if "I" take it, I forget everything, I am whoozy in the head, it is bad! I only take one at night and MUST take that early in the evening because it does help me sleep good, but if I take it too late, I am still feeling the affects in the morning when I'm trying to get rolling for work. I just cannot get going! I do forget, I'm slow, lethargic - ask your doc if maybe you could try just taking that at night for a while and see if you notice a big difference. I'm betting you will! Take care, good luck - Marion
  • Thank you for your responses. Five years ago a few months after my laminectomy my neuro put me lyrica for almost a month I gave it a fair try. I was just plain "dumb"! I had less energy than ever, and we always got in arguements. I was taking it for depression, it depressed me alright.
    I found out a couple of weeks ago that my neuroligist let go his phyician asistants. So maybe I have been getting meds that I shouldn't. I go back in three weeks to see him, so maybe I can something to change for me. This "zombie" mind is no longer allowed.
    I've always been active and full of energy, loved to go to work, we sold our fifthwheel, boat, and quads because I gave up having fun. I want "ME" back!!!!!!
  • I say that all the time, I just want to be and feel like “ME”! I told my husband last night after my doctor appt., It is so good to just feel decent and like ME! I have been struggling (low on meds for a few days) and I can sure tell the difference – so can he. We still have the trailer, quads, and I have my horse, but I never ride any of them. I still camp, have taken my horse just because he likes to go and I don’t want to leave him home alone, but don’t get to ride much at all. I few short jaunts up and down the dirt road or on a ¼ mile trail. Sucks! No more taking off on him with lunch, a few beers and being gone for hours. I miss that more than anything I have had to let go of and it still pisses me off everytime I think about it! IT IS NOT FAIR!
  • That has to be an awesome feeling to take off and ride. My mom said my first words was I want a horse. Any chance I had I would ride even rent an old nag if that's all there is. It would put me in severe pain I'm sure, but somethings are worth the pain to have a few moments of something you always enjoyed.
  • I'm on the same dose of neurontin as you, and since taking it, my memory is not the greatest, to say the least after. Actually, it was funny, as I was reading your OP last night, my mom called. I knew there was something I was going to ask or say to her, but forgot what it was, and told her that. She called later on to ask for my sister what I wanted for christmas (we draw names, and my sister drew mine). I suddenly remembered that's what I was going to say to her earlier but had forgotten, that I had an idea for whomever drew my name. Well, do you think I could remember what is was that I was going to tell her that I wanted? LOL. So, my sister is just going to have to figure something out herself, because I have no clue what it was now... It was just kind of ironic that this happened while I was reading your post, lol
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Yep, they'll zap your memory and give you a fuzzy brain. But also be prepared for how well they work on pain, my efforts to give them up have generally not gone well. So, I've accepted the fuzzy mind!

I get a lot of word finding issues, and it bothered me a LOT at first. Now people just wait, or else I say "sorry, I lost it, we'll have to continue this conversation later."

As for wanting the old you back, I definitely sympathize. I came to the realization earlier this year that the old me is never coming back, and I need to make do with the new me. Finding activities you can enjoy even with your injuries is a big one.

Have you ever read about paraequestrians? My favorite discipline is dressage, and recently at the World Equestrian Games (WEG) one of the girls who placed well in para dressage was a girl with no legs. She did not win, but she had an incident where her horse spooked and almost unseated her. She recovered beautifully- can you imagine? With no legs? How inspiring.

Reading about para riders in all disciplines really reminds me that I'm not in this alone. I have considered whether I'll be able to ride enough to find out whether I classify for a para classification.

I haven't ridden for the past year- I have my dressage horse on the market, he is too big and strong for me anymore anyway. I still have my daughter's pony and hope to be on him as soon as my doctor gives me the OK. Right now I can't even bend over to make his beet pulp! My husband and daughter are doing it all.

Anyway, just babbling. Sometimes the new you needs some new inspiration. Isn't there anything you ever wanted to do? Write a novel? Learn to paint? Don't give up!
  • Starting to say something like 'Susie, are....you..........? Darn, I forgot what I was going to say. I try to laugh it off and hold back the tears, not from being embarrassed but I don't have a clue what I was going to say/ask and it had to be something simple but important enough to talk about.
    My husband gives me simple requests to do while I'm home on disability and didn't do a thing because I was too embarrassed to tell him I couldn't remember and didn't want to call or text because I know he still doesn't quite understand I'm not forgetting on pupose. I think he FORGETS to write it down for me.
    In time this too will pass. Please
This discussion has been closed.