Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

work conditioning

luverlicslluverlics Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Exercise and Rehab
In Dec 09 I suffered a back injury at work. I have not had any surgery. Dr said my mri wasnt bad enough to warrant it, mri showed mild cord covering compression along with protruding/bulging discs and a small anular tear. all in the l3-s1 area. I have had lower back pain/pinching with pain, heaviness, weakness, tingling, pins and needles, and buning that radiates down my left leg to my foot and effect the distal 3 toes. (S1 issues)The back pain has eased some but leg issues still persist but were tolleable. I
started work conditioning 4 weeks ago. Its 6 hours a week. 2hrs a day 3 days a week. The outine consists of treadmill, stationary bike, stretching, some light weight machine work for lower body and upper body strength exercises. Nothing is overly strenuous. The first week went great. Some achy muscles from lack of activity, In the second week I noticed an increase in leg symptoms throbbing, aching buning pins and needles. Usually occuring the worst about 30 min o so after the exercising. the symptoms are not resolving at all. i have used anti-inflammatories, ice and heat. Is this nomal for the first few weeks with nerve root injuries. the maching work was stopped when the symptoms started.
injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12

• Hello,
    The key is to be guided by your medical assessment and not be too hasty to find that illusive cure, we all wanted to be much improved and knowledge and experience here suggests that it takes longer than we all initially expected with varying results.

The importance is longevity and keeping going week in week out, the important thing is to keep you pain under the radar, which is difficult as it come after exertion, take the time down until you feel less pain and works back up slowly.

Each day will be different and some days will prove more favourable than others, if you are doing what is being asked of you, you can do no more and any exercise with increase the pain of perception of it for some time and only you know when this is acceptable or not, while working hard.

Nobody is going to rush into surgery when this is not recommended and that in itself could create more long term problems that you have now, you do have time on your side and the opportunity to try and seeks ways of managing it more effectively seeing what works for you as an individual with that pacing notion as a paramount indicator.

What do you need to do to meet your objective, is this level of commitment sustainable and do you have any relief for this strategy, if it does not work give it tame and change to things that do work and be adaptable as you are and kind to yourself.

Do you envisage that work will be possible.

Take care and keep posting, many here have been where you are.

Take care John.