Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help, I want to cancell Friday!

LisaRachelLLisaRachel Posts: 286
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Guys,

I'm getting really scared now. I can't believe my surgery is in 3 days. I'm so worried about my pain level and my mobilty. The other thing is I'm about to get my perioud and worry about blood loss. I have so much tension build up that I need to get my period now! I have bad pms:( I can't stop worring about the complications that could happen in the surgery! I'm going to my family doctor today and will talk to her about all this..

Thanks for letting me vent and all your support mean so much to me..

Lisa - can't stop crying

• Take a few deep breaths. My understanding is that the blood you lose during your period is actually very little. Ask your doctor about giving you something to postpone it if you are really concerned. Also see if she will give you something for the anxiety.
  • Oh, I know how scary this is. I don't really have any words of wisdom on how to make you feel better, but maybe see if you can get something from your doctor to help you relax a little, like xanax or valium to take until Friday. My surgeon prescribed xanax for me before both surgeries.

Hang in there. It will be ok. You've got a great surgeon, confidence that he knows what he's doing and all that will happen is that you'll go to the hospital, go to sleep and the next thing you know you'll wake up in your room.

I may be wrong, but I think with most spine surgeries, there isn't a lot of blood loss. At least that's what my surgeon told me. I would mention that you're about to start your period so they can be prepared if you need a transfusion, but I doubt it's a problem.

Concentrate on the donut, not the hole. You're doing this to make you better and although I know that recovery is not easy, it'll go faster than you think. You can do this, you're strong and you've made it this far - you can't give up now.

Take care Lisa. We'll be here for you all week. Please keep us posted. Oh, and cry a big one if you need to.

• Thanks!! Do you guys know why I can't see any other posts? there all locked?
  • Hey hold on in there >:D< Try not to worry about it too much! We all go through this, but you will be fine im sure :D Dont worry about what ifs or maybes I) :? Just stay calm :) Let us know how it goes though, will be thinking of you O:)

Angie >:D< :H
  • Be careful of what you ask your primary doctor for. If they prescribe you any meds before you take them, be sure to call the surgeons office to insure it is safe for you to take prior to surgery. As far as worrying about blood loss the doctors will be monitoring this during surgery so you should have no worries about this. It is normal to have pre-surgery gitters, so try and do something today and the rest of the week that you enjoy. I always find lightening some candles and putting some music on helps to lighten the air, so to speak and relax me. Before you know surgery will be here and you will be on the other side. Good luck on Surgery and be sure to post a update as soon as you can.
  • your blood count(hematocrit) when you go in that day, so that is a non issue.. :-)

Lisa, it is a big surgery, and I know you are scared, but do try to relax as much as you can. When you are anxious, your body release chemicals that cause your heart to race, and your blood pressure to increase. It is your job over these next couple of days to keep that from happening, and get through the surgery with ease.

Listen to your favorite music, get enough rest, etc...

Many prayers to you!

• I agree about the music and candles.
    Pamper yourself a bit,
    and eat some of your favourite food.

Once you are on the road to recovery, the relief from this pre-surgery anxiety is so good. Then you just have to rest, follow all the rules that you have been given and allow your body to do the rest.

I will look foward to your posts telling us all how much better you feel. :-)

• I joke now, four months post ACDF, that there should be a river in my back yard with all of the crying I did before the surgery. This is not something that we would choose unless we really needed it. Remember why you are doing this and focus on the fact that in time, you will heal with the goal of feeling better and getting your life back. It is not an easy road to be on, especially in those few days before surgery. I too agree with deep breathing, soft music and candles or whatever else will help bring you a sense of calm. Also prayer is of utmost importance. You can do anything through Christ who strengthens you. I'm sure you've endured other difficult times in your life and now they seem like a blink. This too shall pass. My prayers are with you. Stay strong and focused on your goal.
  • Thanks.. Looking at the comments always makes me feel better. I wil try to relax and rest. My stomach is all messed up, it must be nerves. If my perioud does come on Friday the good thing I won't feel the cramps! I have endo and the pain is awfull :(. I know by, next week I will be writing and telling you how I am, but right now it does not seem real...
  • get some valium to help with your anxiety. We will be praying for you.

• We are all with you..and it's hard to get down to those last few days, music is a great thing to try..My worst time was the ride to the hospital and I remember for my surgery they gave me something during the pre-surgery wait time to relax me, I didn't even ask for it (maybe my BP reading was why) but it helped alot.
  • I almost experience a "high" sensation once I got to the hospital on surgery day. I guess it was because I knew I was finally doing this and the nurses (at least mine) came to me very quickly, with great and positive attitudes and things moved along very quickly. Like Soprano, they also gave me something in an IV that relaxed me prior to surgery.

Take care and I can't wait to see your first post-op post.

PS Oh, and I did mean to say that if you're considering getting some meds to calm you down before surgery, ask for them from your surgeon, not your PCP.
  • Lisa,

Candles, music, incense, a funny movie... All these things help, good food is also nice to add to the mix! I agree with the others, give your surgeon a call, and let him know how anxious you are getting, and most likely (as many go through this I am sure) he will prescribe something that won't be a problem for surgery, but will help you calm back down.

I like your attitude about "if" you get your period on the day...no cramps! (G) There ya go! Just try and relax, and in no time, you will be once again on the other side and sharing your post op with us! Support *HUGZ* :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • After i got done with last minute stuff, and gave my son instructions, in case of an emergency, i drank a few beer's and watched the 3 Stooges, on T.V.
    Those guy's are always good for a laugh.
  • Feeling a bit better.. Went to my family doc, had a long talk with her and brought home a few precriptions. I'm a little worried because she checked my temature and it was up a bit! She gave me antiobiotics to last till Friday. my family doctor has more experience with meds then my ortho..

Thanks for the hugs and hearing me vent. I will have my iphone so, hopefully I can update you guys....

Love to all, I'll still be hanging around till Friday..

• Lisa,

Glad to see you're calming down a bit. I am sure for your last surgery you had the jitters going pretty good. Hope your temp goes down - might be part of the stress and such. *HUGZ*

• Thanks Brenda,

She gave me some ativan to take the edge off. Now, I need to get my period!! I was looking up if there is some sort of dance helping it to start! I know once that comes I will feel better... Hoep your ok. xoxo
  • Lisa,

Wish I could give you mine. I'm on the ending side of those - it only lasts a day - *if* I even get it! (G) Did you ask your doctor if they could block it this close to your cycle, or it needs to run its course? You really don't lose much blood believe it or not during your cycle. Think about it, if it was of significance, they wouldn't let us girl types have surgery during "our friend" right?

Just try and relax, and think good and positive thoughts for Friday. You know you have us here thinking of you, and sending supportive thoughts your way woman!!! *HUGZ*

• thanks! what a way to be lying on the table bledding! not very sexy!
    again, thanks for the support..
    P.S I'll be thinking of you guys too and how I can't wait to give the update..
  • Everybody!!!! All together now!!!
    Jump up now and do the LR-Period Dance!!!
    Woop-Woop!!!! Sha-la-la-la-la!!! Woop-Woop!!!
    Everybody!!! All together now!!! Dance!!
    :D =)) :))( =))
    Hope that helps! If it doesn't help, I hope it at least made you smile!!
    Good luck on Friday!!!
  • hahahahaha that was great! you made me laugh! I will sing it all day!! for gods sake! let me get my perioud.....
    thanks for the song! I needed that laugh..
    2 more days :(

I'm staying positive. I'm lying in bed with my kitty who is such a cuddler. I'm going to see a fun play tonight with my best friend "Percila Queen of the Desert" so, that should be fun.

I have to start washing my body with special soap they gave me at my pre-op! Have any of you had to that?

Keep the laughs and support, It means so much to me..

Love to all.....
  • Hope that all the advice from fellow spineys and medication from your doctor has helped you to relax. I sang the period song for you...hope it helps. Wishing you all the best in your surgery. We will all be thinking of you and waiting for your first post op post.
    All the best
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Lisa Looking at all the post you sound much better than the first one which is awesome ....I havhad 3 back surgery's first 2 were just go in trim disc and 5 weeks ago had my L4 L5 fusion done and looking back
    I was nervous each time this one was the worst but
    had I known I would not have worried that much the pain was not as bad as the first 2 and this was major
    they control your pain very well ..And they keep you very comphy do not be scared to ask for anything ....
    the worst thing was just getting bothered every 2 hours to walk and I mean that was the worse I do understand the nerve thing though it is unavoidable
    and it happens to all of us but you will be just fine
    I will pray for you Fri Lisa its ok to be scared just tell them to talk to you .I told my nurses to talk to me for 2 days about anything and they did and we are friends now so that is good ...big hugs to you Lisa
  • keep singing my friends Or I'm am going to hurt someone!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I found out I have to be at the hospital for 7am. I'm the only case that day! Yikes

Love to all..
  • So glad you got anti-anxiety meds to help you relax. My husband had to use the special soap to wash up before his knee surgery also so it's pretty routine now to protect you from infections.

LOL out of Control is out of control. I'm doing that dance also! My first laugh today. =))

I'm praying for you Lisa and good you have the special attention of the Surgeon for that day. We will be waiting for you to let us know how well your surgery went and hope they keep you comfortable. >:D< Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You will have a lot of us thinking of you and praying that all goes well. :-)

I agree with Charry that you will have all the surgeon's attention that day and he/she will be nice and rested and not trying to hurry along for the next patient. That can only be a good thing.

Have a good, calm day tomorrow and we will be here waiting to hear how things go. :H
  • Just know we're all sending you positive energy and warm thoughts. Again, relax, treat yourself, and then let the experts do their job! *HUGZ*

• Just thought, ask your doctor if you can have somthing to stop it! :? Sometimes though stress delays it! Thinking of the stress, can your surgeon give you somthing before to calm you down, (just a thought as they do this in england) We are all thinking of you, and keep us posted! What time you scheduled in for ? >:D< >:D< >:D<

Angie O:) :D >:D<
  • Thank you my spiney friends! I can't believe it's tomorrow!

I went to see a play last night and had the best time!! It's was fun and up-lifting, even standing up half the time! There was a song called "I will survive" thats what I'm going to think about about in the operating room just before they knock me out!

I truly want my life back, I hope this surgery give it to me or at least get me out of friggen pain! Going in to this surgery I will think this! After I'll deal with things that come up that might happen.

I can't express how I love you guys on SH! I spoke to my family " the ones who I like! about this group and how much support I feel.

I hope everyone is well and I will report back ASAP.....