Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need to Vent

essmoe29eessmoe29 Posts: 317
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, everyone! Now that I've introduced myself, with a not-so-brief rundown of my back pain experience, I need to vent. My gripe? Tendency on the part of some doctors to pooh-pooh a need for MRIs (which in my case resulted in further deterioration of my spinal condition). Before I started going to a comprehensive spine center here in St. Petersburg, Florida (I can't say enough about the place - as I mentioned in my first post, it's fantastic), I'd stopped seeing doctors for it because of their refusal to order an MRI (and I wasn't getting permanent relief from what they'd done). Since disk herniation is progressive, I seriously wonder if encroachment on the neural foramen and nerve root ("pinched nerve"), as my MRI report said, could have been avoided if the doctor who turned down my request for one in 2007 had agreed to order it (and my symptoms have worsened since then, with recent onset of inability to raise my right foot and big toe, and now I need to see an orthopedist as well). So right now I'm about ready to throttle the doctor who refused to order the test! Thanks so much for letting me blow off steam.

• Hello Ess...thats what we are here for...Vent away!!!

I would need to vent too if I was in that situation!!
  • I am not sure what you mean about the progressive nature of disk herniation. Although of course deterioration progresses as we age, DDD is not considered a progressive illness, and surgery does not generally show a benefit long-term over conservative treatment in most cases of simple DDD.

• What caused your herniation? disc disease or an injury? Generally a herniation caused by injury will get better or remain the same without treatment. If you have deterioration of the spine that is causing compression then it would get worse. But an xray or CT would show that just as well.

Most of us can look back and say "what if?". But that won't change anything and only leaves us feeling worse. If I could go back and change something it would be to not get in my car that afternoon or to have that kid get his brakes fixed....

Try to stay positive. And work from where you are today. :)
  • DDD is still not considered a progressive disease in the sense that it isn't really a disease at all. And although disks continue to degenerate with age, symptoms generally do not steadily progress.

Please read the article on DDD here on Spine Health, which explains it well:

Certainly disk herniations, whether from injury or DDD, are not considered progressive and the standard treatment for herniated disks reflects that.

All of our spines are degenerating all the time. Age is a degenerative disease of the spine. But evidence suggests that aggressive treatment of herniated disks does not prevent future degeneration, as long-term outlooks for surgical and conservative treatments are about the same.
This discussion has been closed.