Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

appointment news

lavenderthistlellavenderthistle Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Appointment with the PA today

The X-ray showed 3 compressed discs, the most compressed should be causing numbness in my thumb according to the PA. She said my cervical spine was lined up well, the three discs on the bottom look rather squished down.

I have another appointment. Next Monday they are doing an MRI to see why I'm feeling numbness where I shouldn't be. The numbness is in my last 2 fingers, because I don't feel pain normally she can't decide if it's coming from my neck or elbow. She is having me sleep with a towel wrapped around my elbow in a desperate attempt to prevent me from sleeping oddly. She said the finger involvement could be cubital tunnel syndrome, thus the MRI and towel thingy.

She said that there was arthritis...is that the same as the narrowed disc space? What generally happens from here;is this good news or not so good news? What exactly does "rest" mean in this case?

LavenderThistle

advertisement

Comments

• Hello Lavender....Well it sounds like she has got you on the right road to narrow things down!

I am sorry that you are going through all of this but I will keep you in my prayers!! I am sorry that I dont have any advice or info for you...I wish I did!!
  • So far so good...she's recommending therapy for one month then a check, if it doesn't help then they talk surgery

degenerative changes C4/5 C5/6 C6/7 nerves are being compressed at C5/6 and C6/7 Still no explanation for numbness along ring and little fingers. My chiropractor said that was due to the scalene syndrome, I am not sure if spine center people recognize scalene syndrome as a real thing.

I've had therapy for knee issues but never for neck issues...I think this might ache a bit :) oh well at least it's good news
  • Thistle,

Howdy! I'm glad to see that your doctors are staying on top of everything for you. Has your doctor set you up for an NCV/EMG yet to isolate what nerves (and from where) are being affected?

Having been down that road, if they are feeling that your Ulnar (pinkie and half of your ring finger) is trapped in your elbow, the NCV/EMG might confirm neuropathy from your elbow. One of the conservative treatments they had me do until they figured surgery was needed (see my profile), I bought a comfortable but fairly rigid brace for my arm to sleep in. I was told to avoid crossing my arms, leaning on my elbow (like when on the phone), resting my arm on chairs etc.

They are probably focusing that way due to your MRI doesn't appear to have involvement of your C8 (C7/T1) nerve in your neck. Please let us know what you find out. Until I *did* start losing my C8 in my neck, the surgery to transpose my Ulnar was a 99.9% success. I say that because the only feeling I did not get back by a year out of that surgery, was the very tip and outer corner of my ring finger. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.