Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI Brachial Plexus

JoydancerJJoydancer Posts: 463
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had an MRI for brachial plexus today- - a first! Understand much will show on nerve/ligaments/muscles.

Tomorrow I have my 2nd EMG / NCS which thank goodness will be more complete than my first one done by a physiatrist in ortho office who failed to do spine to shoulder area.

I am looking forward to getting tests results of both by the neurologist, who will be doing the EMG / NCS himself and who will have also received the MRI from today - - and no more voids in diagnosis with regard to severe neuropathy in my left arm / elbow / hand / loss of finger dexterity and movement!

• Janelle,

Looks like things are moving forward for ya! Good for you. Please let us know how it goes! Fingers crossed for ya. ****HUGZ**** :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • p.s.
    And you know having those full test results should be the best birthday present for me !! (today's my bd)

<:P Hopefully moving closer to saving my arm/hand and surrender these pain spasms =D> !!!

• Yes, will be hopefully by this time tomorrow eve with a lot more conclusive results (oh pleeeeeaaaaz !)

• Happy Birthday!!!

Sorry, didn't realize it was your B-Day woman!!! Yes it would be nice for sure!!! :)

• Brenda,

Thanks for that hot and colorful BD wish!! Yes, I snuck a birthday in today :X !! The highlight of my day was my MRI on a new state-of-art machine from Sweden! lol 8> Gee wish it was a Swedish massage instead !! ;)

• Janelle,

That link you sent me? Their MRI looked like my Stand up MRI on its side! (G) Hopefully you will FINALLY have answers. I don't see my favorite Neurologist until March 4th - I am on the short call list should someone cancel. :)

If my hubby gets the week before Christmas off, we might be able to spend a night or two up your way again - we could enjoy post B-day, pre xmas din-din at the 'lilRv' :)

• Janelle I think I'm as excited as you are. Have to ask the neuro about a brachial plexus MRI...hmm. My finger/hand spasms are getting more frequent. What an intense pain, but thank goodness it is only for a minute or two at a time.

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
  • Yes, pleeeeeeeaazz results - - no more puzzle pieces ! :W

Re: Pre-Xmas /BD dinner

Oh, that would be nice! Not sure if hubby has to work week into Xmas and remember you mentioned about possibly doing trip for Jacksonville.

I may be having the elbow/hand surgery depending on what the brachial plexus tests show. I have been scheduled 2 mos. out for a Dec. 23 surgery - - heck of a Xmas present....hey!!! lol! ugghhh :( I got to get some better ways to celebrate don't ya think - -
    MRI for my BD and surgery for Xmas :S Wow!! What a life :<

• Hi, Kris! Thanks!

Yes, I sure hope this is more conclusive now. My hand surgeon has been on and then off on elbow and wrist nerve/ligament surgeries, depending on the resulting diagnosis over past 5 months OS and NS and 2 Neuro's!

Hand surgeon does not want to put me thru those surgeries if the nerve compression is primarily major source C-Spine, yet the double-crush syndrome does not get easily diagnosed with arm neuropathy and damage.

So much weighs on this MRI brachial plexus and new EMG/NCS and Neuro's assessment.

Re: Episodes

I have now had 5 major episodes of disabiling pain off-the-chart and deep aching upper arm, elbow and hand burning and fhe fingers not functioning (lasting 12-14 days) beginning with knife-like pain in scapular-shoulder blade.

I've progressed to having elbow okay, just aches and sensitive, no strength in wrist, fingers numb pinkie & ring finger worse, pinkie in curl down, ringer, in partial curl, no coordinated strength hand functions. Top of hand loss of sensation.
    Arm = atrophy showing, narrowed in size overall arm; ridge on underside of arm, 6 inches "atrophy ridging", Hand = palm smaller, no muscle tone in palm, thumb basal muscle totally diminished. Big changes since 1st episode = June (7 Mos.) :O

Kris, how many episodes have you had? Wondering how much deterioration / dysfunction you are experiencing?

Thanks for the happy BD ! :)

• Actually if he gets that week off, we would be up your way around the 18-20th ish - then up to Jacksonville (really a camp just north of St. Augustine). Ohhh add to it then, a pre-surgery victory din-din!!! :)

Like before my spiney twin, we'll play it by ear! :) Until then, I await your results. *HUGZ*

• It happened again last night. I was at an HS open-house last night and it happened as I walked down the hallway. I've had may 6 episodes. Before last night they only lastes 2-5 mins total. It's a complete lock-up of my index finger. The finger pulls/curls under to the point of being painful. It's such an intense pain that it almost doesnt hurt...does that make sense. I think partly I'm in such a panic because I have no control.

I'm concerned and will call my doctor this morning because it happened yesterday when I took a cutting board out and put it on the counter top. Then yesterday it happened twice without any identifiable cause. After the incident at the school my forearm remained tight. I was so afraid that it would happen again that I left early.

Right now I feel an achiness in my forearm near my elbow. I'm sure part of the problem is he won't be able to tell anything unless he can see it happening and do an EMG. My fear is that each episode is causing permanent damage. I would like to think it is coming from my elbow and the fractures I just had there. But my shoulder has been worse lately and I know it was hurting alot when this started. Grrr.

If you wouldn't mind ask your doctor if he could recommend someone up in NY. I'm afraid that my neuro is more experienced in brain injuries and not spine issues.

Hope your tests go well today. Funny how we can look forward to getting poked with needles :)
  • Kris,

Sounds like your symptoms are muscle spasms / disability and not as much nerve (burning/pain).

Yes, the nature of neuro-muscular = radiculopsthy/neuropathy seems to be very much progressive and we certainly witness more dysfunction/disability with each phase of deterioration. It's devastating seeing what happens when the nerve/muscles are "dying". @) (believe that is the truth, the descriptive words of "compression", "entrapment" describing the compromise of the nerve/muscles but truth is our arm/hand and fingers dying and we are not only witnessing it, but trying to function and support a vital part of our body and see and feel first-hand as the limited source of life to our arm/hand /fingers is no longer able to do. :(

And no soft-speaking about it - - it irs devastating!!! :jawdrop:

Re: Neurology - Neurophysiology

I am finding there is a big gap in the field of neurology and neurophysiology. There are few neurologists actually appropriately and fully treating patients (diagnostics & treatments) for people who have neuro-muscular dysfunction. In the vast field of neurology, there are specfic areas of study and treatment and I am finding few who are skilled, qualified and practicing in neuro-muscular disorders and in evaluating, diagnostics, assessment and treatments for neuro-muscular disorders.

Re: Few Treating Neuro-Muscular Conditions

You need to be seeing a neurologist who is experienced and skilled in neuro-physiology to hopefully receive an adequate and full comprehensive examination, assessment of diagnostics and tests, and who is able to know in depth the nerve and muscle disorders / conditions and adequately and accurately access treatment.

Re: Gap - Neuro - Spinal Surgery & Neuro-Muscular

There is much that goes wrong with nerve and muscles and we have lack of dedicated, skilled, practicing physicians treating it fully and appropriately. Sadly many of the nerve/muscle disorders don't get fully understood and treated by those to choose from: orthopedics and neurology, that being: orthopedic physician/surgeon, neurosurgeon or a chiropractor, when a neurophysiologist is not found - - a real big gap!!!

There's a vast range of disorders with pain/dysfunction in the spine and other parts of the body that is neuro-muscular and needs treatment and surgery of bone/joints is not the answer!

Re: Neuropathy - Radiculopathy = Needs Skilled Neuro-Physiologist !

So, that being said - - I recommend that you find a neurologist or physician who is trained, skilled and practicing neuro-muscular physiology. And it takes scrutiny in finding one that is fully skilled and treating neuro-muscular and beyond just doing an exam neuro-testing and emg/ncs tests!

Kris, there is a link of Neurology associations I have and as well checking with Neuro-Physiology specialty searches I'm doing, will let know what
    I find. I'm going to PM you a link for the Neurological Center I am going to, run by a DO with full neurology degrees and certification and dedicated to neuro-muscular disorders and diseases.