Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Needing to Get Revision (Leads Migrated)

RRraeRRRrae Posts: 85
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I was hoping to get feedback from anyone who has had to get revisions done.....

I have dual percutaneous leads in my lumbar and I just found out (via Xray) that one of my leads has migrated clear down to where the IPG pocket is! :S

I'm concerned because of the fact that I'm pretty sure this lead has been this way for over 6 months .... yes call me stupid, one would certainly think a person would be aware of this....
The one and only program that I've been using works great. The other 2 programs evidentally were shared off of this lead that has migrated, but I was NOT aware that the lead has completely migrated out. I would get a very uncomfortable feeling (stinging/stabbing) when trying to use these other 2 programs....so I quit trying to use them and settled on the one program that works just fine.

If anybody has anything to share regarding getting revision, I'd really appreciate it.

It bums me out that I have to start all over again with the post op restrictions, but more than that, I'm fearing that the migrated lead may have scarred in to where it is, since it's been so long before I realized the predicament I'm in.

I don't know if the Dr is going to cut open the old incision, and/or if he will have to cut a bigger incision to straighten this out. It's really difficult to communicate with his office staff...
So, I was hoping to hear from my fellow SCSer's.

• I don't have any experience, but I hope it won't be too invasive and they can get you fixed properly. These things have minds of their own, I've decided. I have a paddle lead (cervical) and just found out that something has come "loose" in me too. My SCS turned off this morning and wouldn't come back on.
    Good luck!
  • With my two revisions, the doc was able to go back in through the original incisions and did not have to expand them any.

Healing from the revisions was far easier than the original implant. I had both revisions done within 2 weeks of each other and was able to get out and about quite easily. I even went camping at 30 days post op and had no issues.

It's kind of like taking your car in for a tune up instead of having the engine replaced. The mechanic still opens the hood, however the amount of work is far far less.

Since you weren't using the other lead, I can easily see how you could go around not knowing it had migrated. I doubt if even your doc would have caught it right away, since most docs and reps are hard to convince that you "know something isn't quite right". I bet you find your doc is far more inquisitive in the future if you have any concerns or problems.

• Honeysmom, Geez I'm sorry your SCS mysteriously shut down.....I hope you've got that rectified?

And "C" thank YOU B) you have such a wonderful way of putting things in a perspective easily understood!.....yeahhhhh, MY engine is obviously running on only one cylander.....and that is nothing to do with my SCS..... :W .......I think it's called.....'middle aged' yayyy, this is simply too much funnnnn /:)

• I don't have any answers yet. I did go this morning and have the xrays done, but was disappointed that my normal Boston Scientific rep was not there. One of his co-workers met me at the pain mgt doctor's office for the xray and she was going to have my doctor review it and send it to my normal rep, an engineer from Boston Scientific and to my neuro surgeon. She is supposed to get back with me this afternoon as to what they say and she said I would probably need to come back in on Monday when their engineer is there to have her evaluate it. I was so in hopes that they could tell me something while I was there today, but no luck with that. She is nice, but she is newly trained and said she hasn't experienced this with any of her other patients and couldn't tell anything from looking at my xrays. I just hope they will hurry up and figure it out and get me working again! I'll update later when I know more.