Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

'Drying Out' of Discs

MinnRickMMinnRick Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
Greetings forum! I have seen in a couple of places and heard from at least one acquaintance about a care provider who told him that a particularly troublesome disc was nearly 'dried out' and that his pain issues would likely soon be subsiding as a result. Now, I can certainly rationalize that discs 'dry out' over time - the degeneration process as I understand it is quite consistent with this verbiage - but what I can't get my head around is how a 'dried out' disc could ultimately resolve to less pain. In a 'dried out' scenario the degeneration process would presumably be complete (or nearly complete), with whatever degree of stenosis having reached its theoretical maximum. Is there a logical extension of this scenario that resolves to less pain? If so, how? Thanks much.

-- Rick

• I don't know, it sounds to me like your friend misunderstood what the doctor said, like got it backwards. Then again some doctors' don't know what they are doing ! ha !
    It doesn't make sense to me. and I have T spinal stenosis and was told I needed to Hydrate with Fish Oil, among other things. Yoga Pilates before surgery (which I am NOT having ) anyway. I have major pain. and Cymbalta Helps alot. For Real.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey MinnRick,
    I can tell you from personal experience that when my discs dry out and collapse the pain does not lessen. Not when it becomes bone on bone and nerve impingement follows. It does get me some more metal implanted.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to spine health.

I agree with the other posters...with me the dryed out discs are the cause/contributor of a lot of my pain. My NS said my vertabra are bone on bone because my discs are 'dried up'. Without the cushioning of the discs the nerves get pinched.
    Maybe someone misunderstood?

Again welcome to our family!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Desiccation. Been there ... done that.

The ultimate goal would be complete hydration

All good now?

See example MRI Report:
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• You could have a situation where the disc is drying out but the patient has no symptoms. Even with some impingement some people don't complain. Yes disc height is reduced. But if that disc has a tear. And the leaking fluid is causing constant inflammation of surrounding nerves. The patient feels this nerve pain. Once the disc dries out then that irritant stops and so does the nerve pain.

Having a bulging disc does not necessarily mean someone feels pain. Even though the disc is a problem. A leaking disc in almost all cases causes inflammation and pain. That would be the only reason that would be sensible to me.
  • curvature of the lumbar spine,L5S1 intervertebral disc space,several small vertebral body hemangiomas on the right aspect of the L2vertebral body
    There is anterior osteophytosis in the include lower thoracic spine particularly at the T11-12
    There is disc desiccation at L2-3 thoughL5 -S1 with loss of normal nucleus pulposis water signal.
    L2-3 disc desiccation with shallow circumferntial disc bugling.
    L3-4disc desiccation. There is hypertrophy of the facet joints and the ligamentum flavum.
    L4-5disc desiccation Shallow circumferential disc bugling. hypertrophy of the facets and the ligamentum flavum