Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion

luvstocooklluvstocook Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I am a 45yrs old having a spinal fusion on Dec.29 at 7:30. I'm glad, happy, sad, scared, sick of pain, an hoping for the best. I have a slipped vertebre L4-S1..My left leg has siatica and NOW i'm expiercing aching in my knee's..that almost unbearable. I feel hopeless on day's cause I was so active I never sat down. Glad I have all of you here.

• I just had a L4-S1 fusion on November 3rd. I am doing very well. Today was my first day without pain meds. I have been down to about 1 a day for a few weeks mostly due to needing to rest and residual (i hope) sciatica. The doc just put me back on Neurontin 300 just once a day at bedtime to see if it helps get rid of the sciatica and nerve pain in my foot. It has been two days and it seems to be helping.

I was in the hospital for 5 days because I couldn't go to the bathroom (ha!).

This recovery hasn't been so bad. I will be back at work in a few weeks (after the holidays). The only reason I am not back now is because I really don't feel I can drive a long distance (I am a sales manager and in a car all day) or that I would have the stamina to last 8 hours.

Hang in there. You will be happy when it is done.

• I had my fusion on the 12th october and like you was scared. I really did worry about whether I was doing the right thing. I am a lot better in terms of pain ,I just have a little at the mo and I'm sure that it is post op pain. I'm really doing well and look forward to normal life soon
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on your surgery, this is your chance to become pain free, and for an excellent recovery!! be sure and stop by the " Back and Neck surgery" forum for more information on your surgery.. SH can be a good friend during your recovery.. be sure and be well prepared for your surgery.. you will need some help afterwards!! please keep in touch! talk to your surgeon if you experiencing new symptoms. he should know about them! Jenny :)