Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tired of all this back, and leg pain!!!! Questions........

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello :H
I have been posting here for awhile, but I just wanted to share a bit about myself. I got hurt while working in 2006. I was lifting a resident, and I ruptured my disk. Over the course of then, and now I have had 4 injections. I also have had a discogram, and IDET. I just recently had a discectomy in June. I just recently had a new EMG also. I have nerve damage from my back.

I am still in a lot of pain. I have to say that my leg pain is getting very old ~X( . I have pain that goes down both of my legs all the way to my toes. I feel no different from the discectomy, I actually have the disk bulging, and scar tissue.

My question is, I am going to see my surgeon next week, and I really don't know what to do! I hurt so much. My MRI that I just had showed what I just explained. I am also starting to have some problems in L4, my main problem is in L5. I am wondering, have any of you had a fusion after discectomy? Did it work, did you feel better? What do I do if my surgeon says that there is nothing more to do? My pm doctor is actually the one that ordered my MRI. My surgeon said that I would start to feel better.

I am tired of feeling like this everyday. The pain meds only make me feel drunk, and they don't take the pain away. My PM doctor wants to put in a SCS in, and I don't want to do that until I know that there is nothing more to do.

Thanks for reading! Any ideas would be greatly welcomed!!!!!

• Have you asked about nerve meds..lyrica or neurontin? Before my fusion I wasn't even walking because of the sciatica pain but the neurontin made it almost go away..at least got me up and walking.

• Hi there! Thanks for replying :) I can't take the meds for my nerves, it makes me feel horrible. I am very sensative to meds. I wish that I wasn't! My surgeons nurse told me that it probably wouldn't help much?!
  • Heidi,
    I had a diskectomy and then went on to have a fusion from l4 -S1. I am so sorry you are going through this, it sounds just like me. After my diskectomy, the pain almost got more intense immedietly..after 6 months of trying to be possitive, and being hopeful that it worked,I finally broke down and came to terms that it was NOT better. I found a different Surgeon, one who is Excellent and top ranked in my state and waited 6 MORE months for an appt.In a strange way it was music to my ears that he was seeing it as I was feeling it, Awful. I Had a fusion 9 months ago. they took out the disk that was the problem completely and put in an artificial one..i really think the fusion helped my back, But I have these hip issues and S1 dysfuntion that causes my back to continually be pulled on and that makes it hurt.I still would have gone through with the fusion having known what I know..Just make sure you find a surgeon who Is known to be Amazing at doing them. It is so crucial. I really feel for you.Jessica
  • Thank you Jessica, my surgeon is more on the non-agressive side of things as far as surgery. I have a appt. on tuesday to see what he thinks about what is going on.
  • I had a discectomy at the L4/L5 almost nine years ago. The pain I felt after that procedure was horrible for over a year and sent me in to a deep depression. In June of this year, I had an L4 through S1 fusion. It worked as it relieved the nerve pain in my left leg, and I still have a lot of acheyness. Point is, I felt much better after the fusion than I did after the discectomy. I am currently battling SI joint issues right now, but my lower spine feels strong and the pain greatly reduced.

Hope that helps!
  • Sorry to hear you still have pain. The more I read about people that have discectomys or similar ops I am glad that I was advised to go with the fusion. I am just 9 days post op but can allready notice alot of difference in the pain now verses then. Since the op I have noticed that I don't get the drunk drowsey feeling that I got when I took pain meds before the op but only when I was bed ridden did I take them. I don't know how long u have been taking the meds but if just a few times then maybe ya could try taking as perscribed for a few weeks and see if that feeling goes away like it did for me. Hope ya get pain free soon good luck.

This discussion has been closed.