Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Iowarobin is awake and functioning UPDATED AGAIN

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. Had surgery Mon and slept of and on. My back was spasming so bad, and yesterday figured it out. The vallium did nothing for my spasms. They switched me to flexaril and seems to be working.
We came up Fri afternoon, so the motel bill was pretty high, but we were warm, and safe, and was ready for surgery.
The surgery has been tough, but I knew that. Been walking, and they took my favorite drip pump that kept me so relaxed. Thanks to all of you for all your happy thoughts. I am hoping that everyone else that had theirs this week are doing well,also,

Take Care,

• Robin that is great. Over the hump now. :)
  • Hope you continue to improve daily!!

Peggy x
  • glad the flexeril is helping those spasms for you

keep healing, take care

• Good news you're on the mend and hope you continue to get better daily. I hope your pain levels are under control as well as can be at this time. You have overcome so much and it's onward and upward from here. Prayers for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Good that you're awake and functioning. That's a milestone, and an important one at that. Good on ya!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Good to hear from you Robin. I'm glad you're on the mend. I'm sure it's a painful recovery but brighter days are ahead.

Good luck
  • I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers hoping that you continue to improve daily and that your surgery is a complete success. :-)
  • Hope you have a speedy recovery Robin, but just don't overdue. Glad the Flexeril is helping. I had surgery Tuesday to have my bone stimulator removed, and he checked a few things out from the double fusion in July. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. LOL Take it one step at a time.
  • Robin,

So glad to see you are on the other side. Welcome back, and thanks so much for the update. Remember, follow doctors orders, rest, relax and heal!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Glad to hear everything is going as well as expected for you.
    Now just rest and take'r easy, with your recovery.
  • Oh Robin, you have been through the wringer these past few years. Heres hoping for a great recovery and on to enjoying those grankids!

Take care,
  • Great news...hope that you have a smooth as silk recovery.

Take good care of yourself!

• Wonderful to hear from you! Let the healing begin!

• so glad to hear that your surgery is behind you. Now it is over to you for follow instructions and restrictions and get plenty of rest to allow your body to recover from this major surgery.

Will be glad to keep having updates of how you are doing when you are able.

Keep healing >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • We got home last night about 9. Mpls rush hour, along with lots of snow and slippery roads, combined with a accident made it a 1.5 hours just to get out of the city. The ride was not too bad. 5 hours total, but we stopped to eat.
    The surgery went off as planned. I had to due the milk of mag and enema did the trick. I kept telling them I was ok, but you have to go before you can go...
    Pain wise, my pain was well managed. The ride home definently didnt help things, but resting today, I am fine. My Mom was here waiting for us when we got home. She has been wonderful and now that she is newly widower, I think it is good for the both of us.
    I did get the minimal invasive surgery, and so I am hoping that it is no time and I will feel lots better. My Dr did my surgery, then his wife had a baby so, he cancelled all appt and stuff. I knew God was looking out for me!! I am pretty tired and hurting enough that I think I will post more later. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. We know that prayer works, cause I had way to many problems that wouldnt have been solved without it...TTL
    Love, Robin
  • I am so happy you got your surgery ! :D

Hopefully now it's time to move forward :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• good thoughts
    robin = Hope it is going well
  • Good for you, Robin. I'm so glad you made it through surgery okay and that you made it home. May you continue to heal well and get a good fusion. Keep up on the stool softeners or fiber -- the pain pills can make things back up. I'm glad to hear your mom is there with you.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Robin, I wish you a speedy and smooth recovery!! Glad you made it home safe and sound, and that you have your mom there to help, and that she has you to take care of. Take care, and take it easy!!!

(formerly known as smiley735)
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Congrats on getting to the other side and finally being home. Let the healing begin! I know I don't need to say it, but just because it was minimally invasive, don't overdo it - it was still spine surgery and you need to take care of yourself.

Glad to hear your ok and on the mend. Be sure to keep us updated.
  • I have been unable to drive for any distance for 4 years now. And we kid my friends about Driving Miss Daisey everytime I need them to drive me to appts, as it is always 2 or more hours away.
    I need to get some hats made that say Driving Miss Daisey on them!!!!
    But as I lay here thinking about my friends being burdoned by me, on comes Driving Miss Daisey. You have to have a sense of humor to endure all these surgerys!!
    Doing better today. Pain is increasing, I think I was moving around to much. Got the heating pad out, and it seems to help. I keep telling myself that it is only 5 days out from the fusion, so I dont get discouraged! Hi to all my friends and heres hoping you are all having good days!
  • Sounds like things are going well so far. I can't believe you rode in a car for 5 hours after only 4 days postop. More than likely the cause for some increased pain today. Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

• I agree with Marianne for your increased pain issues. I hope it starts to back down soon. You know the drill Robin, rest, relax and follow doctors orders to a "T." :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I,m glad everything worked out well for you! I also had the Nuvasive XLIF on 1/19/10. Be very careful! I've had a few setbacks. But I'm also much older. So I guess I don't heal as well as a younger person.
    I'm interested in hearing about you progress. Not to many on the board have had this new procedure.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I didnt know that it was that new. My Dr has been doing them for 3 years. I would like to hear about your recovery, what problems and what was good. If you dont mind. I hope this is the fix for me, as I dont think I can take another back surgery. I asked for you to be my buddy. Thought it would be easier talking that way.
    Am anxious to hear how things went and are. I vaguely remember some of it. Thanks and Happy Holidays!
  • Glad to hear you are home and my continued wishes for good results! Hard to believe it is a week tomorrow already I know I slept alot of it and will probably sleep more, but the time has flown for sure and hopefully will keep doing so!
  • Hi Robin,

I'm glad you are at home and resting. All the rest for a pain free recovery!!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I haven't been on the forums much lately. I sent you a P.M. I lived in Ames from 2 yr. to 8 yr.
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Glad everything went well for you. It's hard not to do that little bit too much, even when you've been through lots of surgeries.

Hope you'll be able to move about a bit more soon and it must be difficult with all that ice and snow. Would you like a bit of West Aussie sunshine and heat - they've forecast nearly a week of 100+ temperatures.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008