Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Major snowstorm - Helpful hints in case of Survival please add...

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Water Cooler
Just a few short miles from me there was a major sudden snowstorm in Southwestern Canada and many people were rescued by military helicopters from their cars or by snowmobile. It was about 250 people stranded and some with no hats or gloves.

Unfortunately, they found a man who left his car and died and he was found 50 feet from his car and he was only 41. This snowstorm has just missed me where I live and hit other cities worse than ever and especially the midwest northern states. We were told el Ninio would hit us with snow like never before. Many people think it can never happen to them but be prepared.

Never leave your car during a snowstorm and have candles, water and protein bars in your car with extra blankets and clothes. Have flares and flashlights and a cell phone with a car adapter and a vest with Iridescence colors at all times while going out especially highways. Newspapers can keep you warm also. Booster cables and know where to put them on your vehicle to get pulled out or to help someone. Last resort your car seats are filled with stuffing and can keep you warm even though you have to rip them apart. It's good to always have a pair of scissors or a knife to cut yourself loose from your seatbelt if need be if going under water.

Any other tips in case of emergency please add. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    In addition to a device to cut your seat belt ... a small hammer, chisel, or shovel like device to break windows is also suggested. In the case of an electrical failure many modern cars will lose their ability to unlock doors, roll down power windows, etc. If this should happen, a way to exit the vehicle sans power for normal door - window opening would be needed. Once upon a time I was certified in emergency rescue and extricaion by the Michigan Department of Public Health. Former Paramedic 30+ years ago. Prior to universal precautions - gloves, etc. We used to decant serum and radioactive isotopes right down the drain. My how things have changed.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Good discussion. One really important thing that many overlook, is water. Have plenty of water with you. The bottles can also be used for "other things" or for collecting snow to make more water if the duration of stay is a long one. Also a can of spray paint works well for writing in the snow to alert searchers of your location should your car be covered in snow or off in the ditch. I also like to pack an extra change of clothing in case one set gets wet, then I have something dry and warm to change into.

• A bag of kitty litter or crushed gravel is good, in case of getting stuck in the snow, just pour it behind the wheels for traction.

I also have one of those portable car boosters, that I make sure is charged and leave in the back. It also has a big light on it, radio and a power adaptor outlet on it.

I always have a couple of blankets, gloves/mittens and toques (winter hats for you non-Canadian peeps, lol). I have a road-side emergency kit (triangles, rope, glow sticks reflective vest and rain ponchos) first aid kit and small tool kit as well. All of this is kept in a trunk organizer, so I know where everything is; an important thing to keep in mind in case of emergency - you don't want to be tearing your vehicle apart looking for something and wasting, in some cases, precious time.

I always put my cell phone in the console compartment. In an accident, loose objects fly everywhere, this way, I know where my cell phone is. If not being used, my GPS is also there as well.

Also, when I'm driving in the "middle of nowhere", I always look for obvious landmarks along the way, or check the residential numbers and names of side-streets along the road. When calling 911, you need to tell them where you are, it's easier for them if you can give a landmark for direction.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Your medications! If you are traveling in the winter or anytime of the year and there is any possibility of being stranded either by weather or life, take a good supply of medications with you. In a situation where emergency crews can get to you, it is a bit easier to get meds, but if you are stranded in your car ...