Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

not fusing after 6months

miss grumpymmiss grumpy Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi i had a acdf. in june the bone is still showing no signs of fusing im seing the cosultant in feb they used a cage and some kind of bone not from me, without skrews and plates, in other peoples experiance do they just leave you for ever in acollar or what? its so worrying and my gp just smiles nicely at me and says wait to see the consultant.
Tina :< :/

• Tina,

In some individuals it can take longer to fuse than others. The question is how is your pain and feeling sense the fusion? Your hardware is plenty to hold you in place for the time being. Are you taking any type of vitamins? Of course before you do anything like that you always need to check with your doctor. I know at 3 months our my surgeon was a little concerned and ran another vitamin D level, but had more to do with the spasms I am under. So we up'd the amount of vitamin D I am taking, and also up'd my calcium in take.

Sometimes if there is a concern for fusion they will add in a bone growth stimulator. It basically is just a large necklace hangs around your neck and runs 4 hours a day. But then again all of that would have to come from a doctor. Hopefully you will soon begin fusing. Now if your a smoker you need to quit as that does slow it down. Also you might want to up your intake in water and if drinking caffeine you might lay low on it. There is some mixed data on it but you know anything at this point and time might help. Keep us posted on how your doing.
  • hi tamtam, thank-you i must admit my caffeine drinking is prob way too high and im terrible at taking vitamins im going to start really focusing on those issues, i always say i am but im going to stop thinking my life is over and be more positive , thnks gain at least i can say i tried. :)
  • While I am no expert on fusing - only 1 month post op and scared I won't fuse because I was a smoker. A few things I have been doing ... Caltrate Calcium chocolate chews 2x per day for Calcium and Vitamin D; Drinking Yogurt Drinks in morning and eating frozen yogurt after dinner; Trying to eat chicken and meats for protein and lots of broccoli which also has calcium. My 1st Xray showed bone growth which DR said was good - too early to tell any fusion .. just wanted to share little ways to get some extra calcium and vitamins. I am horrible at actually taking vitamin pills too ...

• hi thanks for your tips on getting more calcum and protien in, i used to work in a gym so i should know. im going to really up the protien i think the prob was i have no plate fitted and i was wearing a soft collar for the first 2 months i had another scan on 30th dec 2010 and still no improvement. the collar im wearing now still gives me a lot of movement, im seing the consultant on 21st feb, thats the earliest he can see me, i expect he ll want another scan, cos the one iv just had will be out dated. its getting very disheartening. :S
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry you have to wait so long to see the consultant. Hopefully by then you'll be showing signs of fusing. I've read that sometimes it takes up to a year for fusion to occur. Are you having pain still?

Take care and keep up the good nutrition. They say it really helps. I've even been eating yogurt (something I've always hated lol). Good luck.