Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

painful legs 2 weeks after fusion

LisaRachelLLisaRachel Posts: 286
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi my fellow spineys :)

I was wondering is it normal for my legs to feel sore? When I take a hot bath the pain is better, it feels like my muscles are tight! I have been walking as much as I can but then get too tired.

• Hi Lisa,

I personally went through the painful leg issues! In the beginning of the recovery when I woke up my legs felt as if they were on fire and very tight.. They are getting better now but at 2 weeks they really did hurt. I'm almost 8 weeks now and my legs only really bother me if I do to much!

Take each day as it comes and be patient it will get better!! :) Have a Merry Christmas!!!

• I underwent a 3/4, 4/5, 5/s1 PLIF on december 7th. I too have been having leg symptoms but mine seem to be related to the slow bowels from the meds and the surgery. I wonder if this could be your issue also? Hope your recovery goes well.

• You can talk to your doctor about this.

I came out of my big surgery with a left leg that I could barely move. My doctor said that part of it is the positioning of the legs on the operating table. The second part is whether he had to do work on areas that contained nerves for that area- my doctor and I agree that my situation might be some of each.
  • I had severe leg pain/numbness after my fusion, and was not able to move my legs at all for many weeks afterward. I had to use my feet to bring my legs into a bent position while lying down.

HB which side is your thoracotomy? It is more common to have problems from the down leg when being in a lateral position for the surgical procedure.

Lisa, what does your doctor want you to do as far as activity? Are you walking?

• LisaRachel, I had sore legs, not numbness, for about 3 months post-op. The muscles seem like they are always in contraction. It eventually worked itself out, I guess it's part of the healing process. Lots of unknown....but there is a lot of what "normal" emcompasses I think. Give yourself some time. I'm just now feeling 90% and almost pain-free all day, everyday at 7 months post-op. But I still have my days if I really push myself or don't listen to my back. It'st a long process...you'll get there. Happy Holidays. mel v.
  • Thanks for your comments as always!
    My cousin who has CP phoned me yesterday to talk, she told me about a hot pool I could go to at her rehabilitation center 2 nights a week. I'm going to start this in the new year. I know this will take time! I just want to start getting off all the narcotics but right now I can't.

HB - I'm so gald to see you posting so soon after your surgery!

I have been limping due to my hip pain so, I'm sure that throws all my muscle's off. My surgeon said I did not need physio!! But I think I do! I feel so stiff I'm walking like a robot around my apartment. so, I think the hot pool will help.

The pains in my legs suck! but I'm glad to see it's normal..

Love to all,