Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introducing Myself

cdawson41ccdawson41 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
I just found this forum today and I'm certainly glad I did.

I am 44 yrs young. 16 months ago a young man decided that texting/talking on his phone was more important than watching where he was driving on not running through a stop sign. He t-boned my car and here I am.

I had my first back surgery and thought all was well was feeling better and stronger, then I noticed my leg was starting to go numb and the end result of that is the left leg and foot basically have no feeling in them. The 2nd surgery was a trial run for the spinal stimulator because the nerve roots in my spine are damaged and there is no fixing them. The trial went well so on to surgery number 3 implanted the perm implant. Life was pretty good, it was helping, but the surgery was really hard on me, the recovery was horrid. Around week 7 I started thinking I was on the downhill run and then I got what I thought was the flu. Spiking fevers, chills, didn't want to eat. The incision on my upper back grew to the size of a softball in a matter of hours and the incision on my lower back ripped open and started draining all kinds of grossness. Trip to ER to find out I had a very serious infection. Transported to the city to have the implant removed because I had a staph/strep infection all around my spine, so that was surgery 4.

I'm frustrated because I'm no longer the manager of the 4 retail stores I used to work for, I can't play with my grand baby like I want to. I fight with feelings of being useless. I don't know what the direction is that God has for my life and right now my top priority seems to be to just make it through a day.

I received the paperwork from my PM doctor on Saturday. Lifetime restrictions: no bending, leaning, stretching, reaching, don't sit for more than 30 minutes and don't stand for more than an hour. I now sport disabled license plates on my car and know that I never get to go back to work again.

I'm happy to have found this site where others can relate to what I"m going through and where I have already read some very uplifting stories. I look forward to reading many more both uplifting stores and sad stories and becoming a part of this forum.

I'm the meantime, I am putting on my smile and being grateful that each morning when I wake up God allows me to stand up on my own two feet and walk to my recliner. :)

• Hello - lovely name, yours happens to be my sweethearts name as well.

We all have a sense of uselessness that for myself, has come in waves, from time to time. It is kind of like the sea, about every 7 waves, there is one with more amplitude and it just rolls over.

I know that gaining patience, was something I worked on for a long time. My issues have been progressive, for a long, long time. I have no one to blame, so it is a different circumstance, but we all have some of the same frustrations.

There is a great group here. Welcome - best regards
  • to Spine Health. I think you will be glad that you found us.

4 spinal surgeries in 16 months! Wow, you have had a hard ride. >:D<

You will find a lot of sympathetic people on here who are sharing some of the things that you are going through. The emotional support you can get from talking with others who truly know what you are struggling with, it just wonderful.

Some people here join us for a while, have their surgery or treatment and then once they are recovered, they move along and get back to their life. Others are here for a longer stay, and their experience and advice is very often helpful to newer members.

I would count my lumbar surgery successful, but am still having issues in other parts of my spine, so I am still visiting pretty regularly.

I will look forward to getting to know you better. :D

• I'm so sorry to hear about the boat you're in. What's so frustrating about situations like yours is when you're about to have a procedure and are hoping for a good recovery and a return to a normal life, but instead you're thrown a curveball. Keep counting your blessings - something we all need to do to survive the sometimes bumpy road of back problems. As for me, I've chosen to grin and bear the pain of a herniated L4-5 disk, which is compounded by scoliosis (I'd let surgeon perform a fusion on my dead body!) Love, Essmoe
  • I so appreciate everyone's warm welcome and comments. Today is one of those just flat irritating days for me. With the back issue's and those limitations, one would think that would be enough. But because this was an on the job injury I have lawyers to deal with and that is frustrating and now I'm being told to start the process to sign up for SSDI. I don't know anything about this stuff and its pure frustration to add on this on top of it all. Tomorrow I have to go to the Pt clinic in our hospital again, they want to take the cane away and have me get a crutch instead to help with the balance and ease up the pressure on the right leg. I need to find a big hole to crawl in and hide on days like today. :)

Okay enough of being a baby for tonight. I hope you are all having a wonderful evening.

• So much to sort out never mind all the pain!

I hope that you gradually get these things dealt with and can then take some time to relax and come to terms with all this. >:D<

I am in the UK, so don't know about your SSDI, but there are posts on here that should help you to learn more about it. I suggest that you also start a new thread with SSDI in the title and asking for people's advice and knowledge. You will probably get a lot of help to guide you through.

You can always off load how you are feeling here. No better place to find people who will empathise and support you through.

Take care :-)
  • it's amazing how fast one's life can change eh? i'm glad you found this site. i look forward to seeing you around the boards :)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. we are here for you and know the feeling of uselessness and hoplessness.. being around others who are feeling as you do can often make you feel better... i hope it does!! stop by anytime... someone is always home! good luck to you! Jenny :)
This discussion has been closed.