Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD Hearing Date

PamPPam Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well I finally got my SSD hearing date scheduled for 1.1.11
at 11:30 am then at 2:30 I am scheduled to see a Workers Comp Dr for a impairement rating for MMI. Lucky me i get to be judged twice in one day...

• Correction on the date it is 1.11.11, i'm not awake yet...
  • That's all good. Try not to be negative going in. If you are honest and straight forward I think you will have good results. Remember these people who work at SSD are just like us.
  • SSD people is a lot easier toget along with as Kris said.Its the workman comp people you need to watch out for.

I got my SSD but still fighting workman comp for over two years. I still got a long way to go.

• Jim alot of that depends on who is your work comp coverage. Some big employers and many unions are self insured so they do their own. Most are just insurance companies who really don't care about you. They are primarily interested in making sure the claim is real and getting you back to work so they stop paying.

Same general rules apply. The person on the other end of the phone is just an employee, so be nice. Keep your paperwork in order and be honest. They can't deny you if you do all of this and have a legit claim. Remember, they get a huge number of false claims that they have to wade through to get to the legit stuff.
  • Jim,
    Yeah i know i was forced to return to work in November because my W/C benefits were cut off.
    Their designated Dr stated that i can sit and stand
    he would not listen to me when i told him sitting and standing causes severe pain.So anyway if the next Dr disagree's with me if will give him an ear full.I feel that returning to work may effect my case even though my NS
    told mae that i will not recover without surgery.
    Thanks for the reply's i'm trying to stay positive it just bothers me when people judge others without knowing the facts.
  • Kris,
    Thanks i do understand, I had to hire an attorney because my employer would not help me, i was told that i had severe DJD and stenosis prior to the injury so my claim was denied.
  • Pam

I hope you get you ssd and comp gives ya a fair rating based on your true ability and not just what some dcs says. I get so mad when I hear of people fighting ssd. In my opinion there should be no fight until u are useing money that is not yours. I know I have paid alot into ssd and that is my money and I shouldn't be told when I can use that money. Once my money is gone then ya I think there should be alot of paperwork to get goverment money but ssd is insurance just like short or long term disablity that some employers offer and the rules should be no different with ssd. Oh well just ranting some sorry. I am wishing ya the best.

• SSD is like STD and LTD. For all of them you have to fill out paperwork, get your doctors to fill out paperwork and go to their doctors. In the past 6 months I have gone to multiple IMEs, and spend hundreds of dollars to have my doctors fill out paperwork (because they won't pay but the doctors what something for their time).

SSD is tougher because it is a lifetime award. They need to weed out the false claims that we all know exist. Sure some of what goes on is terrible. But you have to wonder how much of the stories we hear is only one sided. I know several people who are receiving full diability when they don't deserve it. And I am sure I'm not alone.

The real shame is that there isn't some way to get more people doing something. I could work with lots of accomodations and an understand boss. But that is hard to find and there is no protection to ensure that continues.

Somehow our society needs a major overhaul.
  • Hi Kris,
    This is so true, my Primary Care Doc of 8 years won't fill one out because she doesn't feel qualified from what i have been told. My Neurologist is seeing me for the workers comp injury so i doubt he would fill it out. I also know someone whom has been on disability for 20 years for low back pain but it doesn't involve the spine,this person complains because she is not considered 100%.
    The hardest part for me is knowing i need surgery and having no means to take care of myself at this time. I am so afraid of ending up with permanent nerve damage or worse because i had to wait so long.
    I would like to know how health care reform could help those of us who cannot afford health insurance,
    medicaid is not the answer at least not in my state.
  • Hi, I also am on work comp. and just got approved for SSD, on the first try.

I have been told before that if you do return to work in any capacity, it will effect the SSD approval process, so i hope you have a lawyer to discuss this with.

Best of luck to ya.
  • Hi Jim thanks,Yes i do have an attorney, i've had to return to work because i have no income, and no one to support me i have no choice. Thats the PROBLEM with the system, the government forces people to work even though they are unable to and in my case i made an attempt to work and caused further injury to my spine. My attorney is aware of my situation and informed me that she would log it as an attempt to return to work. I haven't had my surgery yet so i am hopeful that my medical records will CONVINCE SSD that i will not recover with out it, my condition will only get worse. SSD may not accept the facts but i have to. I was starting to feel better and went to work every day for 7 months then i re-injured my neck on 6.21.10 and since then i have been in constant pain 24/7. Thanks for listening
    and posting.

• Hi; I'm sure your lawyer already told you, but get as many doctor reports as you can, to SSD stating you are un-employable, with your condition,
    SSD looks at age,education, and restrictions, among other things, just so you are prepared.

I know exactly what you mean about the need to work, for financial reasons. Work comp. will attempt to starve you to force you back. That's their game.

Best of luck.
  • Well i went to my hearing on Tuesday i'm still feeling numb and pretty upset by it! My claim is going to be denied ONLY due to the fact that i worked for four months during the first year. I explained to the judge and both doctors that i had No Means of support and also that i am in need of surgery and i do not have health insurance i was in tears when i was explaining all of this to them, but none of it seemed to matter.Both doctors just sat there shaking their heads. I have waited 2 1/2 years for this to be over, anyway according to my attorney i would have been approved becasue i do have a qualifing medical condition but due to the fact that i earned money for four months i will be denied.What is wrong with this system?
  • Very sorry that it happened that way to you.
    Yups there is a lot wrong with the system, and unfortunally some people who deserve SSD dont get it, and some people who dont deserve it, do get it.

I was afraid that with you working, this would happen, but i completely understand why you had to.
    I was close to be put in the same situation myself.

Is there anyway that you could reapply, and stay off on work comp.
    I'M sure you already ask'ed your lawyer this.

My sympathies go out to you, and i wish you the best of luck, and hopefully you can re-apply, and get approved.

Just hang in there tho and do what you have too, so you can support yourself.
  • Pam that stinks. I understand the need and I even wonder sometimes who you are supposed to know IF you can work unless you try. I'm waiting to see if they will allow me to file for my LTD but they keep delaying. What am I supposed to do if they decide no? I'm already 3 months behind in them paying me. But if I take any job I lose everything.

As Blazer said I'm sure you have talked to your lawyer. Can't they just adjust the dates? If you've been out since then your start date should just move to when you stopped.

Hope things get better.
  • Pam,That is a shame. It is so sad that the system is set up this way. Good luck. I hope you get something to work out for you.
  • Thanks Everyone!
    The judge tried to adjust the dates but was unable to. My attorney had the NERVE to get mad because she is losing money on her flight!Give me a BREAK..i have lost 1.My Health 2. My Ability to Work. I was earning $32k per year when i applied in 2008, so she would have ended up with a nice chunk of change. I spoke to her one time within the last six months and that was for the initial interview, i informed her at that time that i needed to work from 06.09 to 10.09 because i had no means of support.
    I feel that it all come down to this....since i did not have someone who was willing to provide me with a Free life as i do not have at the present time i do not qualify. I went to see a Workers Comp Dr after the hearing, he told me that my condition is not all that special..hmmm. He also said if i stop working my disease will get worse. another point that i would like to mention is how is SSA able to classify a part time position with no benefits gainful employment? I would consider a position of $1500.00 per month with health insurance to be gainful not $1000.00 per month.
  • Pam I'm with you. I don't know how I will be able to go back to work but wonder if I can afford not to. My STD policy is fighting me now. I haven't been paid since October and they won't even begin the LTD claim until they sort out the last few months of the STD claim. My LTD policy includes them providing a lawyer to file for SSD but that is also on hold.

As I look at these numbers I'm beginning to think I need to change my game plan. There is no way I can get by on what SSD and the LTD would pay even if they awarded me the max. So maybe it's time to forget the subtle stuff and get the neurologist to prescribe the meds that will let me work with the pain. And if I had know this 6 months ago I would have stayed with my very good job. Now I would have to try to find a job where I can explain the 6 month gap in employment.

Truly a situation where you can't afford to be ill.
  • is what you can say for a 6 month gap :) You needed some YOU time! Hell, in this economy a 6 month gap may be par for the course with a lot of people.

Best of luck to both of you :)
  • Thanks Connie and Kris,
    I hope it works out for you Kris
    I turn 50 this year so i don't have much time left to find a good job, but i have made the decision that if i have to work feeling the way i do and risking further injury to my c-spine then i must have a job that is worth that risk. I work p/t no health insurance its just not worth it.
  • Thats sad that you unfortunally had a lawyer with that kind of attitude.
    Any chance you can reapply when you turn 50 y/o.
    That appears to be the magic age when SSD starts lowering their expectations for approval.

Most work comp. doctor's are something else. They know who butter's their bread, and they say what the ins. co. wants them to say.
    Best of luck, and i hope things work out for you.
  • Thanks Jim,
    My attorney did suggest that i reapply, i only have have 2 1/2 months to wait. I was also told that i can work up to 20 hrs a week.