Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSDI in Missouri

cdawson41ccdawson41 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Water Cooler
I have recently been told by my lawyer to sign up for SSDI. My understanding is that this can be a real headache. Has anyone had experience with this in the state of Mo? I'm considering hiring one of the SSDI lawyers and just letting them handle all the paperwork for me, has anyone taken that route and how did it work out for you? My doctors have already put me on an perm restrictions of no lifting more than ten pounds, no standing for more than thirty minutes, no sitting for more than an hour without position change, no bending,reaching,climbing or crawling. (the last one kinda throws me, at my age in good health I don't normally crawl LOL) They also filled out the form for me so I already have the disable plates on my car. I'm walking with a cane right now but go in on Tuesday to see if they want to change that to a crutch as I drop the cane often and then have a devil of a time getting a hold of it again. I'm kinda worried about starting this on top of the fact that the workman's comp case is not settled yet. So much going on it's driving me crazy and on top of it all trying to deal with this change and constant pain, I'm liable to pull all my hair out.


  • Hello CD,

    And a hearty Welcome to Spine Health!!! SSDI is federal, so it doesn't matter too much by the state you live in. You made a very good choice to get a lawyer. You want to make sure your doctors know that you are filling, as they will be required to submit supporting documentation of your medical status.

    It is NOT a fast process by any means. If you are under 50, it is harder, but NOT impossible. I too walk with a cane, and use to drop that sucker! I've made a lanyard for it, so now it behaves! (G) Me, I think I'll stay with a cane over a crutch, but that is me. I hope your SSDI goes well.

    You do realize there are two areas of social security to apply for right? SSDI is dependent on your income, and SSD is not. Please keep us posted on how it goes. Again, welcome aboard!!

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • No I didn't have any idea there were different parts of SSI. I have no income right now other than the weekly check I'm getting from workmans comp. The lawyer I have right now is handling that part and I really think a lawyer for the SS part is a good idea. Due to pain/meds etc I'm having a hard time keeping up with all of this, it's so frustrating. I knew it was a slow process I had heard that and yes I am under 50, a nice young 44, so that is another reason I thought the lawyer would be a good idea. Thanks for your advice I appreciate it.
  • If you have a lawer for workman comp.They can help with SSD So you wont need 2 lawers.

  • But workers comp lawyers suck as SS or SSDI. That is NOT their specialty!!! You want to get with like Bender and Bender, not a comp lawyer - totally different law there.... in my opinion. If your income is that low, you might want to look at both to see what you qualify for. Make SURE your doctors know you are applying. *HUG*

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi; Brenda is correct. Get a SS lawyer, your work comp. lawyer, will not be able to help you if he specializes only in comp.

    I too am on work comp. and i applied for SSDI, and got approved on the 1st try.
    I applied on my own over the internet, but i also had a SS lawyer who kinda proof read it for me before submitting it.
    Besides your medical history, and work restrictions, the biggie SS looks at is your age, education, and work history over the past 15 years.
    I live just outside chicago, so i really dont know if your state makes any difference.
    It took almost 4 months, for them to give me my approval, but they are still checking my pay records with work comp. so i have'nt received any money from SSD yet. And i also will be getting 1 child dependent credit.
    I also notified my work comp. lawyer before i applied, and he fully supported my decision.

    I hope this helps you a little bit, and feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
    If you post this topic on "health ins" part of this forum you can get better responces from more people who can help you. On this topic forum it's kinda hidden from people who know.

    Good luck to ya.
Sign In or Register to comment.