Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two surgeries in less than 4 months

sidthekid87ssidthekid87 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Spinal Stenosis

My name is Rick and in August of this year I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and DDD.On September 9th. a Laminectomy was done and for awhile I was doing pretty well. Around the middle of November the nerve pain in my left leg returned with avengeance. Another MRI was done and it showed protruding disc at L3-4. I went back to the neuro and he said this can and sometimes does but only in about 5-8% of the people who have a Laminectomy. Lucky me, the damage is right below where the laminectomy was done. Has this happened to anyone else out there? Surgery is scheduled for Jan. 6th. in Pittsburgh.

• overall are you in less pain than you were before the lami? or more? I too had a second surgery 6 months after my lami back in 2k. I know its no fun, its no way to live, especially in pain, guarding and continuing on or not.

Good luck with the 2nd run, I hope it gives you the relief you are looking for. Afterwards be sure to get strong. That was my biggest mistake through all of the surgeries Ive had. Physical therapy to build up supporting muscles is one thing but maintaining them and guarding yourself against future injury is the best proactive action.

I'm not a health care professional but I have been through a lot with this spine surgery stuff. I just offering advice to you from someone who has been though it. Currently I am recovering from a 3 level lumbar fusion, 8 screws, 2 rods and other misc. hardware. Its no fun, but I'm noticing more and more results daily. do what you can with the smaller surgeries because if you ever need fusion there is really no going back after something like this. Best of luck to you and stay strong!
  • this happened to me as well. i was feeling good after my laminectomy in 2005, but by the time the middle of 2006 rolled around i was having the same kind of pain again, and it seemed more severe. i reherniated and wound up having another surgery in 2008, this time a 2 level fusion. i asked the surgeon why they did not fuse in the 2005 surgery and he said, as you pointed out, that very few people reherniate.

perhaps a reason this happened to you is because you're a penguins fan! :O L) =))

let's go flyers!!!!!

in all seriousness, welcome to the forum, i hope to see you around the boards - even if you like the penguins. :D
  • Thanks fused 78 for some good advice. As far as the pain goes it's worse in my left leg than before the lami. I have very little low back pain this time. Before my legs felt very weak, this time not so much. Thanks again for your response.
  • Hi babyruth,
    I had to laugh when I read your post about this happened to me because I'm a Penquins. I predict an eastern conference final bewteen these power houses. Of course I see the Pens winning the cup this year. Are you going to watch the wintter classic? It should be interesting.
    As far as my back problems go I'm hopeful that this second surgery does the trick. I have a great Dr. and I very confident in his abilities. Thak's for you posting and for giving me a good laugh.
  • hey rick ... remember you heard it here ... i'm predicting 4-1 pittsburgh (winter classic)