Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

futterliebrffutterliebr Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

My name is Ryan I have been a member for a little while now but have not posted anything, I just read posts every now and then to get some information about my back issue. I am 36 years old and I relatively good shape but I have suffered from lower back pain for years and this past Jan I had to do something about it because I could no longer take the pain in my lower left side of back, shooting pains in my legs, and feet falling asleep. I started seeing my PCP who had me go for 5 weeks of PT and prescribed muscle relaxers and 5/325 Percocet's. The PT did did not work so he sent me for an MRI which showed I had a bulging L5-S1 and referred me to a Neurosurgeon. The Neuro looked at the MRI and had me try 2 epidural steroid injection's which neither worked so we started to discuss surgery and the 1st step was to have a discogram. The discogram showed that I had a ruptured L5-S1 and L5-L4. The Dr recommended ALIF for the L5-S1 and leave the L4 alone because I was young and hopefully this would heal. So I had L5-S1 ALIF fusion surgery on 7/31/10. The surgery went well and the leg pains went away for awhile but the left side back pain which is in the SI joint area, is worse than ever! I explained this to my surgeon and he said that this is probably muscle pain and more or less need to deal with this while fusion is taking place. I am in PT twice a week, I have a personal TENS device, this entire time I have been prescribed Pain Medication from my PCP 10/325 Percocets 4-6 times a day, 60mg of Cymbalta and recently started 300 mg of neurontin. I talked with my PCP and we decided that I should start seeing a Pain Management Dr. So I had my first appointment on 11/29, it was a great appointment he spent about a 1/2 hr with me going through my information and suggested that I get a Facet Block he also took over my Cymbalta, Neurontin and prescribed me 20mg of Oxycontin twice a day and 5mg of oxycodone 4x a day as needed for breakthrough pain. I had the facet joint injection on the 21st of Dec. and I feel worse than ever!! I am in severe pain on my left side and some pain across my lower back. Sorry this was so long I just wanted to give you my background and needed to vent a little.

I no longer know what to do about my back pain, I was hoping that the last shot would work but now it is making my Christmas miserable.

Any suggestions on what next to do? Or am I just being impatient and need to give my back time to heal?

L5-S1 ALIF 7/31/10, Discogram 4/22/10, 2 ESI's 2010, Facet joint Injection 12/21/10
60mg Cymbalta, 300mg Neurontin, 150mg Welbutrin, 20mg 2xday Oxycontin, 5mg Oxycodone 4xday as needed.
Physical Therapy 2days week, Personal TENS Device

• A lot of times those injections take a while to "settle in" and start working. If it doesn't settle soon enough though, don't be shy about calling your PM doc and letting him know. He is your pain advocate and is there to work with you to help you manage your pain.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. this is a great place to come and vent and just let yourself go.. we all understnad and go through the same thihg at one time or another!! it sounds like you are famaiar with the forum and have had a good look around.. make yoursef at home!! keep in touch! good lcck with your pain issues! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of support in the forums and a lot of information throughout the rest of the site.

Don't worry about your post being long - the more info we have the more we can help or just support you. More is better when you're new, so thanks for letting us know everything you've been through and are still dealing with.

I'm sorry you're going through all of this, but it's not uncommon. Injections do sometimes take a while to take effect, and sometimes they don't work at all. But I'm sure your PM will keep an eye on your progress or lack thereof if it comes to that. It sounds like you have a good PM that truly working to manage your pain, but for many of us with spine issues, it's a waiting game, going through procedures, getting diagnoses, and finding the path to treatment.

So we'll be here to help you in any way we can although we're not doctors and can't interpret any imaging or read between the lines of what a doc might say. But you'll find many heree that have or had gone through something similar to yourself and that in itself can be helpful - just knowing that there are those that understand what you're going through.

Take care and I hope things get straightened out soon.