Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SteveCSSteveC Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My PM doc does a procedure called IDET:

IDET is a procedure in which the physician places a catheter under fluoroscopy (X-ray)guidance into the disc. The catheter is positioned along the outer aspect of the disc at the location of the tear within the disc. The catheter is then slowly heated to treat the tear. The heat is meant to destroy pain receptors at the location of the tear and remodel the outer layers of the disc tissue, healing any tears.

I don't have a torn disc but do have a bulge...wondering if anyone else has had this procedure and if it worked for them? I have an appt with the doc next week and will discuss more with him then.

Thank you!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    IDET was thought to be the best new thing in the 90's and may WC companies considered it as a good treatment for disc problems and a good alternative to surgery. However the short and long term efficacy of IDET was not as they had hoped and it has fallen out of favor with many doctors.

Do you research and if you have a spine surgeon you are treating with get his/her opinion. I have my PM and my Orth Spine Surgeon working together. My doc recommended a treatment the PM said it was too early to consider, etc. So perhaps a consultation with a spine surgeon can help you decide on viable and effective treatment options.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • There are many proven and safer techniques for disc bulge and low-back pain than IDET.

IDET is kind of history now and its pretty rarely used. For bulges, best results are achieved with PLDD - laser disc decompression.
  • Thanks guys....I was hoping it might be a non surgical option. I'll ask my doc what he thinks, I am sure he would have mentioned it if he thought it was an option.
  • Thanks guys....I was hoping it might be a non surgical option. I'll ask my doc what he thinks, I am sure he would have mentioned it if he thought it was an option.