Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What mattresses do you like?

SteveCSSteveC Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Sleep Problems
It's time for anew mattress, our current one is way worn out. I've tried the sleep number and didn't like them at all. I tried a couple from Sleep's which claimed to have been designed by an MD sleep expert (whatever!).

What mattresses do you like? Did you buy from a national store/brand? Did you take advantage of the alleged satisfaction guarantee? (Sleepy's charges a mere $175 for an exchange plus any price difference!)

• I have a Stearns and Foster, which I got from Macy's - I have a firm with a pillow top. The pillow top is nice and soft and moulds to your body, and then it's so firm and supportive underneath. I have no trouble turning over in this bed - which I think a lot of people complain about those sponge beds (latex or whatever they are). It also is very comfortable on my hips - other beds when I wake up, I have terrible hip pain. It's about 2 x what regular beds are - I got mine for $1600 - TOTALLY WORTH IT.

By the way - I would never buy a bed from Sleepy's - had a very bad experience with them, and then I googled reviews of them - I'm not the only one who's had trouble with them.

Good luck with the bed hunt. Comfy dreams!
  • combination mattress its a sprung and memory foam unit and its on an electrical adjustable base it very good .i found the temper too hard
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Steve,

I have the TempurPedic "Cloud" adjustable bed. Once I found what position to sleep in (I can't sleep flat), I've slept much more peacefully.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I recently purchased a Sterns and Foster Deerfield Inn Luxury Firm Queen. I need a firm bed and while this does not have a pillowtop, it does have some foam (VRT technology) that allows a bit of conforming to the body. I've had pressure point pain and now that is gone. It took a little getting used to the softness on top but it has been good. I did get the low boxsprings which lowers the height of the bed 5" for the high bed was hard for me to get in and out of. Not cheap but I think it was a good investment.
  • After a long, long time of looking, I finally purchased a Sealy Embody Insightful. It is a latex mattress which means you don't get the heat up you do on some of the memory foam ones. Quite firm and it fits me very well. Also, there is no transmitted movement when your partner rolls over.

I purchased form the Healthy Back Store Outlet near me (Washington, DC) and it was heavily discounted versus the regular stores ($1000 versus $1650).

So far, so good.
  • Hmmm i just posted about this on another thread. I just picked up a 3 inch memory foam toper for our firm matress and it works great,

If its good density memory foam then there is no heat or whatever issues, this could be used over any matress to make the diference. No way i am paying $1000 bucks for a matress when i already have 1. They have 3 inch topers 4 inch topers. Key is cheap 1 made in china thats not real memory foam will be a waste of money,

You have to find what density foam is for your body weight. Lot of stores have cheap memory foam aint worth a penny,

I should of done this years ago geting one, i dont feel the pressure points as i did before,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I found a great mattress topper at Plushbeds. I didn't really even know what a latex mattress was though at first. I didn't have the money to afford a latex mattress, but after I did a little bit of research EDIT I ended up getting a latex mattress topper, and I absolutely love it! It's not too hot, and I love how it shapes to by body curvature without me feeling claustrophobic. It's really comfortable.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz
  • A mattress topper is great *if* you have a decent mattress underneath it. Our previous $500 mattress should have been replaced after 5-6 years. The lack of motion transfer and the support in this mattress make it worth every penny (to me.)

The problem I had with the Tempurpedic Memory Foam mattresses was sinking into them and it being near impossible to move. Very comfortable, but only if you are a still sleeper. I move all over the place.
  • I love to do research and I needed a mattress so of course I went to search the internet for some answers. I found a site that helped me compare all of the brands of mattresses at http://www.mattressreviewguru.com/. It offers great advice for those that don't know what to look for in a mattress. Hope you get what you are looking for.