Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More surgery?

Phoebe2010PPhoebe2010 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I hope everybody doesn't mind me posting again, but I am feeling really lost and not sure what is happening.

I had a discectomy/laminectomy L3/S1 in Feb 2010, but following an unrelated op in October 2010, pain has started up once again in same area and also left leg. I have also found that the numbness following the discectomy in February seems so much worse. After walking or doing anything remotely active, my right leg, calf and foot is completely numb.I had an MRI on 18th December and I was called by doctor for results a couple of days later.

It appears that I have re-herniated at L5 and now at L4 too. The report went on about narrowing of this and that but I find it difficult to interpret. There is also 'modest' degeneration of the lower 4 lumbar verterbrae, whatever that means.

I just can't believe that i'm going to have to go through surgery again in less than a year. Feb 2010, discectomy and then hysterectomy Oct 2010.

I asked the doctor if he knew what the surgeon was likely to do and he didn't have any answers for me. Just got to wait to hear from the hospital for an appointment to see the consultant.

I just wondered if anybody could give me an idea of what to expect.

I do realise that my situation is so minor in comparison to most of the folk here, but I'm just trying to understand what might be over the horizon for me.


  • I mentioned about the numbness that I am experiencing and it has got so much worse. Not sure whether I should contact doctor or wait for my hospital appointment to come through. The whole of my right thigh, lower leg and foot is totally numb and now the pain in my left has itensified. Up until a few weeks ago, it was pins and needles and numbness just on the outside of right foot.

    I would welcome any thoughts or advice from other folk that have been here.

    Many thanks.
  • I would call my doctor with any change in condition. Let them decide what is important and what isn't. As far as what they will do..that's up to the surgeon. Depends on how you are herniated and what is causing the pain etc.

    Good luck. Hopefully the hospital will call you in the next few days. If not I would follow up since things get lost over the holidays.
  • I would call the surgeon that did the surgery and inform him/her of your changes in numbness. It is something that they should know. I would ask for his nurse and have her call you back with what the surgeon recommends. Good Luck
  • I now have an appointment with the hospital where I had the surgery, this coming Thursday morning.

    I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Glad to hear! Hoping that you get positive news! Will be waiting....Good Luck
  • Returned to hospital today and met with consultant to discuss my current issues. Was shown MRI which should a large disc bulge at L5 and also L4 and L3. She told me that I needed fairly urgent surgery due to rapid onset of wide spreading numbness but warned me that it was not likely that I would be able to drive again due to the foot drop and weakness in my right leg and foot. This was a shock as I thought that following surgery it would improve.

    Feel really low and miserable this evening. Been told to expect a telephone call tomorrow following surgeon's meeting in morning to discuss my case. They will be giving me a date for this next round of surgery. :(

    I asked whether they would be doing the same op and she said quite possibly.
Sign In or Register to comment.