Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A little scared, 6 mo post-op- not sure what to do- help! :\

BrodiemojoBBrodiemojo Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I discovered this site while scanning the web,looking for answers. 10 mins after reading some of the posts here,I believe I'm in the right place :)

I'm 50, mom of 3, for the most part a happy/lucky woman. I was diagnosed with scoliosis and spondylothesis(sp)when I was 14. Despite concerns about pregnancy being too much stress on my back-I had 3 near 10 lb babies and was great! I've been carrying around 75 extra lbs for years without much prob until 2 years ago.

Pain started in back slowly, then down legs, into hips, then numbness down to right toes. By summer 2009 couldn't walk more than 3-4 mins. Got epidural-didn't really work. Tried Tens unit-nada. Neurosurgon did MRI and said I needed a grocery list of things-rods, screws, disc removal, wire cage, bone graft, fusion at L5-S1. Surgery was 6-28-10. I was naive and expected to rally within a couple weeks, like I usually do after surgeries, etc. It took a lot longer, but doc told me I was doing really well.

Problem: About 2 months after surgery, I went to turn in bed one night and had horrible pain out of the blue. From that point on I haven't been able to turn in bed or rotate my hips without scream-out loud pain! It's hard to get out of bed, too. Because of this I haven't slept much. They did get me a hospital bed to see if it would help, but no.

I'm over 3 months of this and getting worse. My pain doc said she thought it was my sacroiliac joints-so we did a medrol pack-(nothing)-then a month ago she sent me for injections into sacroliliac joints-(nothing). Yesterday was my 6 mo appt with neurosurgeon. He said fusion looks good. He seemed stumped on my pain and decided to put me on MS Contin, so I'll be drugged 24/7. I read about MS Contin(morphine) and frankly it sounds scary, addictive and a band-aid fix. I'm freaking out a little because I feel doomed... No one seems to really know or care to delve deeper to find out what's wrong. I just can't keep going like this and don't want to fill the MS Contin prescription. Anyone else have a similar experience or have any idea what is wrong with me?
Thanks in advance.

• I had something similar, probably not as severe, but my hardware would catch on something and cause extreme pain when it occurred. I has some other issues going on at the time also. Have they offered a hardware block to at least rule that out as a problem?

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• hiya brodie,
    sorry hugs sounds like world of pain...
    I had fusion of l4,5 back in 06 i was doing good and then boom~~~wammy ~~i moved wrong of something and world of pain sharp exactly were my hardware(screws would be)
    Called doc he did test check out the hardware
    and sure enough my screws were loose(in my back my brain is always loose) so in he went took out hardware...of course check first to see if i was fused and i was ....
    i was really great..after that, so have that ck first...
    I understand how much pain it is just to take a babystep..but please try to walk and keep moving if you can..pain can increase with no movement..or small exercises...
    your not to far outta of surgery only 7months so dont be so hard on yourself everyones different..
    If you are not satisfied with what surgeon says do get another opinion...
    this is just what happen to me i'm not in medical field at all..
    keep calling doctor ...until you get answers...
    i'm not so hot these days due to trying to do a job that 20yr olds were doing and working way too much...
    i felt so good for years and for a stupid job...i wanted to keep i'm now in pain 24/7
    my neuro has given me the pain patch fentynl and still have not tried...i'm on 20 mg of norco every 4 to 6 hrs..and ativan...so either i have to put this patch on or keep doing the pills...either way i hate pain meds...but without i could take a step without screaming.... i also can't sit in normal chair or stand or walk long at all ....my feet go numb and then legs...
    emg showed neuropathy in legs, last yr diagnosed by few diff. docs fibromyalgia and they are still searching to find out what else is missing ...

tc and keep finding or bugging your surgeon...
    till you get relief or some answers
    gentle hugs..
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Thank you both for replying.I sat with Doc a couple days ago as he looked at CT scan and he seemed to be pleased with what he saw. He was looking at screws and fusion, etc and said progress was good. Not once, however, did he press my back or have me lay down and try to turn to see where the pain was... Of course, I was so filled with thoughts of what I wanted to ask, I never realised he didn't even touch me until I was long gone!

I think I will spend time on here and keep a list of potential reasons for my pain. Hardware catching on tissue, nerves, etc will be #1. :)
  • I had something similar happen..Mine was after my husband and I decided to become intimate again. We were so careful..lol..Or so I thought. I couldn't turn in bed without the worst pain. And it only happened if I was laying down and tried to shift my pelvis to turn in bed. It was excrutiating. I went and saw my surgeon who did an xray. All was good. He felt I pulled a tendon. Well I think he was right cause it finally resolved after a couple of weeks. But wow did it hurt. My husband was terrified to touch me after that..lol. It was a new pain and it went right down my leg..Im not sure what is going on with you since yours has been there for so long. Im sorry you are dealing with this. For me now at 10 months post op I am much better. Still have pain but nothing like before, still careful, still on wt lifting restriction, and I gotta tell ya..I have the squating thing down good!!! No more bending over for me!!