Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trigger point injection side effect?

dakotaddakota Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Chronic Pain
i have MS and Fibro and have particular pain in my lumbar spine, bum, hips and legs.
i've been getting trigger point injections at my pain clinic. the injections basically go from about my bra line, alternating on either side of my spine for about 5-8 injection, then about 6 injections in my tailbone/buttock area, moving on to about 4-6 more on my hip-on both sides. it's A LOT of injections. it's not something i enjoy, but i really do feel like i get relief, so that's good. my pain level goes from a consistent 6-7 to more like a 3-5 depending on the day and activities.
but, what i've noticed lately is urinary hesitancy. in a bad way. i've had to have emergency caths where i unded up having just under 1000ml *one liter* in my bladder, when most people will have the urge to go at about 300ml. it wasn't that i didn't have the urge, i just can't go. i can sit there til kingdom come and nothing. it's awful when i'm out of town and having to do thing when i'm miserable due to such a full bladder, but i just can't go!
i have an appt with a urologist in a couple of weeks....but i'm wondering if anyone else might have had similar issues related to trigger point injections?
not that i'd stop the injections...i'll just learn how to self cath, i guess *sigh* :(

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm glad that the trigger point injections are working for you and giving you some relief.

I've never had TPIs, but I have had what you're describing with regards to not being able to urinate. It was a long time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. Mine had gotten so bad before I went to the doctor that (I know this is gross, but we have to do what we have to do sometimes) I had to sit in a tub of hot water in order to relax enough to let out the urine. Yes, I had to go in the water and sit in it, but then took a shower afterwards.

What ended up being the problem was a urethra infection for whatever reason, and I had to take antibiotics and be catheterized for about a week until the urethra relaxed and was able to open on its own again.

This is only my experience and what you're going through could possibly be related to the injections, but maybe not - like I said, I don't know anything about TPIs.

I'm glad you're going to the doctor and please let us know what he or she says. In the meantime, you might try the sitting in hot water trick and see if that helps.

Take care,
  • I've had many, many trigger point and other types of injections throughout that whole area and never come across anything like that. Are you, by chance, on a lot of narcotic-type pain meds? I know that consistent use of things like Percocet can cause that problem, as my sister-in-law went through that many years ago. Have you been tested for infections, as Cath mentioned?

Is this type of issue typical of people with MS? I don't know a lot about it, so am just curious.

If it does come down to self-catheterizing, it's no big deal. I had constant bladder issues and ended up with #4 surgery failing; I learned to self-catheterize until things were okay again, and it's not that difficult at all.

Take care, and good luck - hopefully it turns out to be something very simple.

This discussion has been closed.