Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what to do

mrfixit643mmrfixit643 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have 3 herniated discs and 2 are pressing on my spinal cord causing me great pain and numbness in my are and leg.I have had a disc removed about 8 years ago.I would like to know my options if any other then surgury.

• That will be up to you and your Dr. I wish you luck.

• There are lots of non-surgical options that I suppose your doctor would suggest. Physical therapy was very helpful for me. Hope you will investigate your options with your physician.
  • I'm a slow typer, but here is a good starting point to some good information; http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc
  • Thank-you for your information.The web site you gave me helped a great deal.Thera are so many different options it is hard to decide what is best to do.I thank-you again for your help.
  • Since my last post,things have gotten worse.My pain is getting to the point where-as I am not getting much sleep now.It seems that no matter how I try and lay my head,the pain is bad enough that I must move every 5-10 minutes.On average I get maybe 3 hours sleep because of the flipping and flopping around.If anyone has any suggestions,it would be great.My family doctor did a strienght test and I only have half in my left arm compaired to my right.It will be at least 2 months before I can see the surgeon.Does anyone know of anything I can do other then eat pain killers.They do get rid of the pain for awhile,but I would rather not have to depend on pills to live a some what normal life.Any options that I could try would help.

Thanks Fred
  • It's too dangerous for anyone to suggest exercises or anything else for you to try because if you have something touching your spinal cord, then you could do more damage with certain things you might do.

My suggestion would be to call your surgeon and tell them about the increasing symptoms. They might speed up the process to get you in due to your additional problems.

Good luck and let us know what happens, ok?
  • I had similar issues with severe pain, weakness and numbness in right arm. MRI showed severe spinal cord compression. Pain got so pain had to sleep on ice packs and pain meds did nothing. I could not get an appt for the one neurosurgeon at my local hospital for weeks so called another hospital a little farther away from where I live but very reputable. Explained my symptoms and MRI results - they saw me in 2 days and surgery was 10 days later. When the NS took out my 2 herniated discs they said my spinal cord was actually dented in and I was very lucky - if I had fallen or something I could have been paralyzed for life. Don't mean to scare you but don't mess around with spinal cord issues - call that NS back and see if they will see you sooner or find another would be my best advice ..
    I was doing Physical Therapy initially and it was my therapist who thought something was more seriously wrong and suggested an MRI - within 10 hours of my MRI my primary doctor called and said stop all therapy and no activity at all etc...
    Good luck to you - keep us posted and here for you ... and in no way am I pushing surgery at all just sharing my experience ...