Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who is the bigger risk?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Health Care varies a lot between country to country. One topic, I keep reading about is that many countries will not provide surgical treatment to someone in the 80's when there is another person in their 40's that need the same operation at the same time.

There is so much validity in that statement. Thats just one of the reasons many larger hospitals today have Medical Ethics Boards that are comprised of Doctors, Nurses, Clergy and Civilians. The charter is to review situations when treatment or lack of could become an issue.

But here is a question. Two people (male or female, for this it doesnt matter), they both have the identical medical problem and the treatment is identical for both of them.

However, only one treatment (surgery) can be performed due to several reasons.

The one person is 75 years old and in relatively good health, except for this recent condition.

The other person is 86 years old and in relatively good health, except for this recent condition.

Which of the two should get the surgery? And Why?
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• This is too deep really. How can you decide who lives and who dies. Do you look to see who has a support system after the surgery? Is one more important to the community? There are so many variables and I've never really been a fan of that kind of system. I understand it's uses, you wouldn't give a new liver to someone that is just gonna go drinking later, but I still wouldn't want to decide who's gonna die.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Its more of a surface area question/response.
    This is not meant to be a thread regarding medical ethics, its more of a black/white factual question
  • First come first serve....... image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
  • Should'nt have anything to do with it.

I agree with Robin!

Walter Payton of the Chicago Bears, needed a new liver or kidney, (i dont remember which), One of the greatest if not the greatest running back in NFL history.
    He refused to use his celebrity status to move to the top of the list.
    Unfortunally he died before he got his replacement.
    Walter was one of the classiest, and nicest, person ever.
    His nickname on the Bears was "Sweetness", and that say's it all.

I'm just using him as a perfect example, for the way humanity should be.
    He was great enough to willing wait his turn, knowing his life was at stake. Everyone else should follow his example.

Sweetness will always be missed by his family and Chicago.
  • Quality vs Quantity. The younger would probably prevail,as,the elder has had more quantity of life.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    provided by several medical professionals when they reviewed that question.

The person who reached 86 clearly has demonstrated that they have a relatively record of good health.
    So based on this, they in many situations have what it takes to leave for many more years. While the person younger (75) may have future medical problems which may create a situation with life and death.

You just have to take that for what it worth
  • Interesting thread Ron. I was going to say the person who has the highest possible success rate. I would have assumed it to be the 75 year old.

Julie
advertisement