Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is it?

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
What is it that causes your lower back to hurt so much in the morning? I have moderate DDD from L4-S1, and do have something going on with the SI joint. Most mornings I can barely move when I get up, have to stretch before even being able to get out of bed. I do have a memory foam topper on my pillow top mattress. This morning was just particularly bad, so the question has yet again arisen in my mind. Is it arthritis?
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    When I was in my Mid-30's after 2 lumbar surgeries, it was difficult getting out of bed in the morning.. We contributed that to scar tissue and the surgery, DDD , spondylosis, spinal stenosis, etc.

Then by my Mid -40's after two more lumbar surgeries, I just figured my spine was getting too old

I think now that I've turned 60, its all of the above, adding on arthritis in a number of joints and just getting older.

It will take me about 10-15 minutes in the morning after getting out of bed before I can really straighten up and move without pain. If I could run into the shower immediately that would really help.

Its hard to stop or slow down the clock, the best we can do is make sure we do all the right things physically and emotionally to keep ourselves the best we can be.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • A lot of factors can go into this. Sometimes I'm sore the next day cause I was extremely active the day before. I own a sleep number bed and unfortunately, the number for my side has a mind of its own, so does my wifes side. When the mattress is firm, it takes me hours to get going in the morning. Over sleeping has a tendency to make me stiff but I'm greedy and I'll take that any day of the week.

See, lots of factors and I've only touched on the stupid stuff.

• I've tried numerous things over the weeks, months and years, but I'm still sore in the mornings. Some mornings are worse than others. Even though I don't have lumbar issues, still have pain there from my OA and DDD. I plan ahead because I now consider myself 'not a morning person', and I feel your pain...literally. :)))
  • The morning is the absolute worst time of the day for me. It takes me forever to roll to the side of the bed, sit up, then slowly stand. I am usually pretty hunched over. Then I walk straight to the medicine cabinet, take my pills and sit and wait. Once I begin to feel some relief, I do my stretches and shower.And so begins each day...
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Mornings are the very worst for me too. I drag myself out of bed (still logrolling), into my robe, go down for coffee while I have the added pleasure of making my hubby's lunch, filling his water thermous including ice, and then, once he leaves, I get to sit down with my coffee. About 20 minutes later, I take my meds so that I can take Wally for his walk about one hour later.

I think this time of year also makes it more difficult with all the weather changes etc.

Plainly speaking, morning just suck.
  • Are you saying I'm old??!!!! ROFL
  • Glad it's not just me, well, not glad, but you know what I mean. Thanks for the replies! Everyone is right, mornings do suck. Hubs asked me what was wrong about an hour after I got up, apparently I was being "snappy and just plain b*+chy"... I still can't get over that Ron said I'm just old.... =))
  • most of these posts have a similar point. I have struggled desperately for a while getting out of bed. We bought a metal bed so that there is a bar to hoist myself up to a semi sitting position and a bed bar fitted to the side of the bed to help me get up but my problem then is that I have to shuffle around for a couple of hours because if I sit down the pain is unbearable and when I try to stand up I can only get to a semi upright position, I can gtet closer to being upright if I keep my knees bent. I still dont have an actual confirmation of my issues but I concur... Mornings Suck!
    Fracture L1/L2, Osteoarthritis of lumbar, cervical spine and coccyx, wheelchair bound, ACDF C3/4 &C5/6
    Discectomy L4/L5
  • I'm 57 and found this getting stuff is for the birds ! My LB, Right Leg and Foot don't get along with me from the first thing in the morn then by afternoon my neck chimes in. Life is ....
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I've learned to make sure that everything I'll need in the morning is above waist level or it's not pretty. I'm lucky in that after strutting around stiff legged and backed for a while I loosen up pretty good though. I can't imagine being that way all day long! And I definitely agree with everyone about the cold weather making it worse.

Kelly, you're only as old as you feel...yeah right, like that helps. If you're like me you feel way older than you are!

• I have DDD throughout my lumbar spine and even if I take a short nap as well as getting up in the morning I do the log roll. Roll to the edge of the bed and using the arm under you slowly bring it up until you're in a sitting position and always hold the bed when you get up off the bed, chair whatever to support your back. It takes me 15 minutes to get up and it's hard when you need to go to the washroom! I use the desk chair handles to drag myself up as it has wheels on it, anything to save my back. Before having the facet joint injections it took at least a half hour to get up!

There's others I think Bubblegum-Eve or others could explain the logroll better..Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • compounded by whatever else ails us. A friend of mine used to have to get up and have a long, hot bath every morning before she could get ready to go to school and teach. And she was forty at the the time. My sis also is very stiff in the morning but eases up as she gets moving.
This discussion has been closed.