Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2.5 mos postop Microdiscectomy Muscle Spasms

kbroeker14kkbroeker14 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hey all
I'm about 2 and a half months out from my microdiscectomy and it seems like my symptoms are coming back as well as new ones. Has anyone who has had this procedure had muscle spasms in their legs? I also get them in my back too were everything tenses up for a few seconds then relaxes. Very weird. Any other stories would be great :)

• I'm 4 months post a second L5-S1 laminectomy and still getting the muscle spasms in the legs and back as well. Leg spasms aren't painful, back spasms have been very painful at times. They are S-L-O-W-L-Y going away/becoming less intense.
  • I had mine done 12/22, almost 3 weeks ago. I have been getting irritating muscle spasms, really twitches. They are finally dieing down. Best thing I did was get back in the pool and walk a mile.
    I've also been getting deep tissue massage to work out all the muscles that tightened up in the initial herniation. And stretching daily 2-3x.
    Massage has been the best thing, if albeit expensive. The magic pills won't actually fix anything, you need the tightness worked out with a combination of stretching and manipulation. If your disc made anything in the hip tighten (as mine did) it can start muscles in there tightening on the nerve as well leaving you with the feeling of previous symptoms. a.k.a piraformis syndrome I swear ortho docs forget we have muscles attached to the bones!
    For the stretching I read to pump your calf when you're doing hamstring stretches. It forces the nerve to move in the space and hopefully not adhere to anything. It seemed to help. The full list of stretches I've been doing:
    Hamstrings, lying on back with rope around foot, and using stairs, gently lower body with oppsite leg don't lean unless your doc says it's okay.
    Glutes, laying on back crossed leg, same thing on stairs front leg turned 90 and lower body.
    Piraformis, just look online for stretches it's too complicated to describe here. However it helps!
    Splits, Careful here! I'm a gymnast so I'm already flexible by most standards
    TFL, one knee on floor, opposite foot with leg at 90 and foot on floor, tuck your butt under and slowly lean forward.

I also have baclofen, it's a non narcotic anti spasm medication. You could ask your doc about that. For me it kind of worked, however they start you low working up on dosage until you reach an effective dose. Unfortunately for me, the effective dose (20mgx3/day) made me sleepy.

So yea
    Stretch, Swim, Walk, Massage, Repeat
  • I am 4 weeks out from a PLIF L5-S1 fusion and the muscle spasms are my biggest issue. While I get them in my legs, the back ones are the horribly painful ones that will drop me to my knees in pain. Valium has helped with them, and the NS said there are other muscle relaxants we can try if that stops being effective.

I have been in PT since week 2 and that is all we have worked on and I am starting to feel like we are making some progress as the spasms are usually shorter.

My PCP also has me eating a banana a day to make sure my potassium level doesn't drop which can make the spasms worse.

I would personally be very leary of doing an exercise program that hasn't been endorsed by a medical professional this early in recovery.
  • heh that's not exercise :)

But yes definitely check with your doc. I sometimes forget being trained in such things gives one a different perspective. Either way still getting some spasms here, but lessening as my massage therapist is finally able to get to the deep muscles!!
  • At almost six weeks post fusion (Failed ALIF that became a PLIF) I continue to have problems with muscle spasms but they are definitely improving. I only take the muscle relaxants at night so I am not awakened by them. My Physical Therapist spends most of our time doing deep muscle massage on the knots in my muscles and I do the stretches at home religiously.

I live in Wisconsin so there is no way I am walking out side in this snow and the track at our Y is concrete which really aggravated my legs so I started walking in the water and I love it - I can do twice the length of time and distance without any pain.

• 2.5 months out and I'm still getting the spasms, they seem a little worse lately. Only in the calf it's driving me nuts. Might be getting and injection again next week to see if that calms it down.
  • Same here, had L4-L5 microdiscectomy back on 2-11-16. very tough to not do anything post surgery. have done treadmill, and modified workouts clearly not killing myself. Now, just over 3 months have excruciating lower back pain that moves all around waist area. Im hunched over and 10+lbs heavier!  Im popping 800 Mg's of ibuprofen and Tylenol. This is very frustrating since I am a golfer, crossfitter and recently yoga . Any suggestions would be helpful!!
  • BrattyBBratty South dakotaPosts: 8
    Any improvements? I am 4 weeks post op from microdiscetomy. I still have tingling and occasional spasms. Best thing for me is 3-4 walks daily about 15-20 minutes per walk, then ice for 15 minutes. My back pain came outta nowhere! One morning i was fine and that afternoon couldnt walk! Cant wait to get back to golfing and cycling!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Hello Cnris_Oser65 !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.