Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What's your experience with the Cold weather and Recovery! Does it bother you????

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start a thread on how you are all feeling with the COLD weather?? I know the weather really bothers me. My first fusion was in the summer and this one was almost 9 weeks ago and what a difference!!! The cold goes right through me and hurts!!

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10

• Yes, for many (all?) of us the cold weather is a total drag. I've never been fond of winter, but now with 2 fusions in my lumbar, well, I just hate it! My heating pad, recliner and I are very close.

I try to think of winter as my hibernation time and appreciate the beauty that can come with the season: seeing everything covered in snow, or those frozen rains that cover everything with sparkling ice. Of course I like to admire this while in the comfort of my own home! This doesn't always work, as I always get into a depression funk at some point each winter.

I just got a new car (used, but new to me) and it has automatic start and heated seats. When I have to drag my but out in the freezing cold I can atleast start it from inside and in a few minutes its warm. The heated seats are awesome. This small luxury makes a huge difference for my pain, as its becoming more and more uncomfortable to drive.

The only real good thing about winter is that it does come to an end! Try to stay warm, it will get better.

Take care,
  • Yes - cold weather stinks! So does sudden temperature changes and barometric pressure changes. My PM doc told me to expect pain from that since I'm a walking barometer with metal in my back.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I curse the winter daily. For me it brings on flare up after flare up in my pain. I feel every cold front that is moving in days before it actually gets here.

I do not have to watch the weather reports(it's rare that I watch TV)to know when the weather is changing. My body tells me. It screams at me!!

My pain has really spiked this evening.

Thank goodness Spring is just 3 months away!!

Stay warm everyone
    Patsy W

• I used to love winter. Snowmobiling, Clearing driveways with my restored Ford 8n loader, and sledding with the kids. My career as a construction electrician demanded I work all winter outside some years, and I loved not having to look at 4 walls all the time.

Now that I had the fusion nov.30th, I obviously can't do any of these things. But to make it worse, when I do go outside and try to walk, the cold makes me shiver so bad that I hurt.

I can't relax when I walk outside because of the ice everywhere, and during the holidays I didn't dare go to the store to walk for fear of being run down by rude shoppers all the time. Not to mention the half mile walk on slippery parking lots just to get in the store.

And now that the holidays are over, I can't get to the stores without driving, and being on all the pain pills, am leary about the winter driving anyways.

This has been a miserable winter indeed.

• 8} I have never been a huge fan of the cold. Funny thing is I have always lived in Rhode Island. Love the changes of the season, and like seeing the snow. However since my operation a few weeks ago. I have been freezing my butt off. The house has a wood stove, and it is generally 73-74 in here. I have become a big fan of the small fleecy lap blankets. 1 in very room. Thank god my new-used car has a remote starter. I am glad I am not the only on who freezes their butt off. Not to mention with the dips in warm, and cold lately have been causing some pain. I just thought it was in my head. Thankfully..I see I am not the only one. Keep warm all. 75 days until Spring!
  • Winter is especially hard, not just from the the double fusion, but I crushed my wrist a few years ago and I feel the ache in that along with my back. My daughter & I got Heated Throws we can wrap around us while we're watching t.v., which helps. By this time next week our temperatures are only in the teens with possible flurries here in Oklahoma.
  • :S Ihave a question. I had my c5-6 fused. Since my operation. If I move a certain way. I get a extremely bad pain in my right shoulder. It is not the same movements everytime causing the pain. At first it was only happening every few days. Now it is happening several times a day. I am 3 weeks after the surgery. Is this normal? My insurance company has been calling once a week to check on me. The nurse type person who called thought it was not to be expected. I just hate bugging my doctor.
  • I live here in RI as well! Hope your recovery is going well! Keep warm. :)

• Well, Im 1 month post op, had my first appointment after the big ordeal yesterday. ive been out in the cold a few times since the procedure and I will say shivering is VERY unpleasant! it shakes my whole body and muscles affected by the surgery. Even a stroll out to the car is pretty bad, but good thing we warm the car up for a while, and turn on the heated seats before I hop in so its not too bad. This being my 5th surgery I have experienced the pain the cold brings on ( Im here in wisconsin, this morning it is only 7 degrees with lots of wind) the shivering is the WORST! and secondly when your significant other is cold blooded/handed and feels the need to stick her hands up your shirt to warm her hands up on your nice warm bare chest. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! the shivers and pain alone from that are enough to make me reach for a bottle of pain relievers. now that I fused and Im in the mindset to make some money I think after we are married and I have a bit more money saved I will look into relocating. I grew up here in Wisconsin, all of my family is here but I just don't think I will be able to handle winters here year after year. I know there are much warmer, cheaper places to live.