Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking shoe recommendation - Easy Spirit GetAhead shoe?

L5S1LL5S1 Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm looking to buy walking shoes for after my spinal fusion surgery. These shoes seem to get high reviews on a lot of the common shoe websites. Does anyone have experience with these shoes?

• Easy Spirits and me don't get along. I've now discovered the 'Fivefinger' shoes. I've learned tricks to get them on, so bending over isn't too much of an issue - for some they may have issue though.

My feet position seem more natural, and since I love walking barefoot, this is as close as I can get without contact with the ground and its risks. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for a great laugh! They look like gloves for your feet and toes! I love walking barefoot too, but it's not good for my feet. I need some sort of arch support and some small wedge/heel to encourage the arch shape as well.
  • L5,

Actually not meant as a laugh, but if they aren't for you, I respect and understand that. I've found for me, I can walk a bit more comfortably. It's just initially a bugger to get them on till you figure some tricks with them. Now when I do get fused too, I will be higher up in the lumbar, so bending shouldn't be to too bad then.

• Sorry, I hope I didn't offend you. Did you chuckle or smile the first time you saw them?

I too have a hard time putting on socks. I actually lie on my stomach and put on my right sock by turning my head over my right shoulder and bending my right knee, bringing my right foot towards my right shoulder.

Good luck with the fusing. You're one of my heroes!
  • Hehehe, no, not offended at all. We are all different in what we can do, or in this case for our footies... wear! I fold (for socks) my leg over my thigh and put them on sideways. Not the most comfortable, but so far it works.

For my Fivefingers, I put the shoe on the floor, stuff my foot in, wiggle it until I seat all the toes, then like my socks, put my foot over my thigh and finish setting them in. Me a hero? Heh, nope, just a fellow spiney going through the many motions, and trying to find "the magic" spot I can live in. I hope you find shoes that give you the support you want and need. Anything that we wear that makes our lives better? Is a big 'win-win' in my book!! :)

• I just bought them a month ago. They are called Bounce. reg 90 bucks, I got them for 49.00 on sale. They are THE MOST comfortable shoes I've ever had. I should have bought 10 pairs! I got them at a good athletic shoe store in my area. I just googled them...they are an Adidas product.
  • Thanks, I'll check them out.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • cgm, I checked them out - I think I want more of a walking shoe, and less sneaker

dilauro, thanks for the links. I've read most of the info on spine-health by now! Right now I need a pair of tried and true walking shoes without trying them on in a store. And also a body pillow recommendation.
  • I have become an avid walker since my spinal fusion in 2007. I walk 5 days a week, 4 miles each time. And when I walk, I do it as fast as I can. With that said, I can say with complete confidence that all walking shoes are different and feel different to different people. I have tried at least 10 different brands of walking shoe, Rockport, Reebok, Sketchers, Ecco, Nike, and on and on. They all feel great when you take that little walk around the store. I wish I had the secret, it would save you money, time, and discomfort, but I don't. For me, Reebok has been my brand of choice. I loved their Trail walking shoe. The problem with them was they wore out too fast. Not meant for walking on streets. I am using another trail shoe with a different sole, they don't wear out as fast. I get maybe 4 months out of them.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I'm with Dick on this being subjective. And most certainly on that idea of what feels good in the store walking an isle might not 2 miles down a road...

I also started walking heavily in 2007. I used to be a Nike fan. Once I started walking 2-5 miles / day I found them uncomfortable and switched to New Balance. I love them. My wife hates them and prefers Reebok.

Like Dick I was killing a pair of shoe in 6 months. But thought they would be good for 2 years. Big mistake. I also learned that if your budget allows it. Get 2 pairs if you are a heavy walker. 1 pair means you wear them all the time and constantly compress them. The rubber flattens out and "dies" sooner. If rotated they get time to breath and expand again. If you can't afford 2 pairs at least don't make the walking shoes your daily wear ones. Only use them to walk if you can.

• I find that Brooks sneakers are great. They are pricey at $120 for a pair. I have a pair I have been wearing for a year. Probably go back to ASICS or Merrells. They are cheaper, I can't spend $120 + tax. every six months. I have a pair of asics that I have been wearing for over a year. I bought them at Kohls with a coupon and paid about $40 for them. I love those too. But bottom line for me ASICS.
  • I have worn only Crocs since my fusion last February. I've only tried the clog version and am not sure how they rate for walking but they are comfortable and have great soles so I don't worry about slipping. I'm on my 3rd pair.

I got body pillows from Walmart. Just the long ones and I also have 2 of them. Being a former stomach sleeper, they have been a huge help in keeping me from rolling onto my stomach while sleeping.

Best of luck with surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery.