Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Costochondritis

Hi, I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Fibro, I was told I have costochondritis in Jan 2010. I have never experienced pain like it my life. I suffered 10 months of hell in my ribs, breast bone and sternum.... not sure of the cause.... it effects every area on my left side. I had anti inflammatories and even steroid injections, they work for about 6 months then this winter it has flared on my right side, does anyone else get it there !? PS. I had heart tests ecgs and heart traces all came back fine !
advertisement

Comments

• I used to get it every year or so, and in the beginning thought I had pleuresy because it hurt so much to breathe. It does hurt like nothing else... I've had broken ribs and fractures, had pleuresy too... and NOTHING hurt like Costocondritis... it seems all they really give you is steroids and/or anti-inflamatories...it is supposedly not serious, but sure makes for a lot of emergency calls to the docs!

I'm not sure why but I haven't gotten it in a few years (maybe all the motrin?) but when I did get it it was at the bottom part of my ribs/lungs in the back and right between and below the breast on both sides. My understanding is that it is an inflamation between the lining of the lungs and the ribs and that is why it hurts so much to breathe.

Hoping you get some relief soon!
  • and thought i was having a heart attack the pain was so bad! finally went to the ER cuz the pain was going down my arm, that will get you in quick. they ran some bloodwork, did and ekg, doctor comes in and says i have a blood clot in my lung and they are admitting me. after another scan of my lungs, another doctor comes in and tells me it is not a blood clot, but chostrochondritis..an inflammation of the cartilage connecting my rib to my sternum. may i never have it again..that pain was just awful!

connie
  • I had this back in early December, and it hurt really bad. It was just from my sternum, below my left breast to my side. It was terrible. It hurt to wear a bra, or to lie on that side. It was about a month before it went away. i really don't want to have that again.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • I didn't have the actual diagnosis, but I had that terrible rib/sternum pain for over a month in the fall. I actually went for some trigger point injections in the worst spots, and have had relief since. She used lidocaine and did several areas in and around my ribcage (back and side), and the relief was incredible. The last time I had it, I did massage and physio, but that irritated it beyond belief.

I hope by now it has settled down a little bit!!

Tracy
advertisement