Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to the doctor?

smaarchssmaarch Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
A couple months ago (4 months actually), I fell off a horse and landed on my back. I got the wind knocked out of me and I felt more pain than I have ever felt in my life. The next morning, I was still having trouble taking normal breaths and the pain had not subsided, even with ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I also had muscle spasms throughout my back. I went to an urgent care center (I don't have a regular doctor yet - I just moved here) and a DO said I had a thoracic sprain, gave me a prescription for hydrocodone, and sent me home.
Four months later, I am still having a lot of pain. If I sit or stand for more than 30 minutes, I get intense pains throughout my upper/middle back. I also feel some tingling that starts near my spine and disperses outward (but not into my extremities).
Should I try to see another doctor or a specialist? Or is this still the sprain healing?


  • Smaarch- I would definately ask your doctor for a referal to a specialist and have them order an MRI while they are at it. 4 months is plenty of time to wait. My neighbor see's the urgent care clinic for everything (no insurance) they send her for tests and help her with low cost meds.... Ask your friends, co-workers, hair dresser about MD's. I am sure you will find one that is good for you and will send you for tests.

    I have tingling just as you described. It radiates outward from the center and on bad days enters into the ribs to the front. I was told today that I can have the T-Fusion whenever I can't take the pain any longer. I was in an auto accident last April 7 weeks after my cervical fusion.

    Good luck,

  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    more than reasonable time frame to see improvement.
    At this point, I think you should do some follow up with a doctor.

    Depending on your insurance provider, you may first need to see a Primary Care physician, before seeing any specialist.

    But seeing a Primary Care physician is not a bad start. They can do some initial and clinical examinations. Based on that, they may prescribe medications, a script for Physical Therapy and perhaps some diagnostic tests.

    When that is completed and 1- You see no improvement or 2- The diagnostic tests indicate a spinal problem,
    the Primary Care physician might forward you to a Spine specialist ( Neurologist, Neurosurgeon, Orthopedic, Physiatrist, etc).

    Take one step at a time and make sure you get all the information from the doctors and various tests.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
Sign In or Register to comment.