Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Many Questions

mike3767mmike3767 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had surgery in April of 2010 and have had neck pain for the last 6 months. I had an ACDF of c-5 & 6 and the fusion is perfect. My neck pain is directly in the middle of my neck and starts at the base of the skull and down to the middle of my shoulder blades. I've been to PT and have had shoots doen through the front of my neck both sides by the jugular vein (not sure the med term) about 1 month ago with no relief. On December 29, 2010 I had facet injections in c-4, C-5 and on Jan 2, 2011 my pain started back and is progressivley gotten worse. My questions are as follows:

1. Along with the neck pain, I get bad headaches. Is this muscle related or nerve related?

2.I've been taking 10mg percocet 2-3 times daily. I'm 35 years old and wondered if my pain doctor will put me on pain meds the rest of my life or will he continue to do facet injections (which haven't worked) or will he use me as a lab rat and do different injection sites or procedures?

3. Is there anyone out there that has had the same thing happen to them and found that they have scare tissue, more herniated discs, etc.?

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I had a 3-lvl ACDF in Oct. 2008 (C4-7) and am now experiencing problems above my fusion at C2/3 and C3/4. Both are severe arthritic facet joints, left side worse than right at C2/3 and right side worse than left at C3/4. In the past few months, the pain in the back of my neck, mostly on the right side and down into my shoulder, has gotten pretty bad.

I saw my surgeon on Jan. 2 and they'd like to do facet injections, but because of my type of insurance, the cost would be too much for me financially. I also don't believe they'll help because the facet injections they did in my lumbar didn't even touch the problem and my cervical facets are so bad I have a hard time thinking injections will do anything but waste money.

So for me, they're going to just treat it with anti-inflammatories, lidoderm patches (if my insurance will approve them), pain meds, muscle relaxants and perhaps some PT. I'm not seeing a way out at this point either.

What does your doc say about your headaches? Have you had another MRI to see what's going on? Since you're getting facet injections, I assume you have facet problems, not disc problems? Or do you have both?

My surgeon mentioned adjacent disc problems that come with fusion, and mine was a big one with three levels done. You just can't win for losing with cervical problems sometimes.

I wish you luck and can understand your frustration and pain.

Take care,
  • I get those in the mornings. An ice pack on my neck really slowed them down. I take a Soma at bedtime now which seems to have eliminated them . . . knocking on wood.

If I feel one sneaking up during the day, I use the ice pack, works well for me.