Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Long will it take?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,742
edited 12/21/2015 - 6:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This has been a question asked by so many members here.
There is no golden rule, but here are some articles that are must reads:

Recovery from Back Surgery
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Completely depends on age, the shape you are in, and the operation. [approach etc]

I am 29 years old. In Excellent shape other than the back problems and recently [Dec. 28th 2010] had a fusion at L5 -S1 and a disk replaced at L4-L5.

Because of the exceptional condition I was in physically and my age, I was told full recovery within 3 months. Most people usually take 5-6

Part of the reason for the fast recovery was because I chose to do an Anterior/interior entrance. They did everything from the front and never had to cut a muscle, just shove everything out of the way.

Unfortunately this approach is extremely painful afterwords, or at least has been for me, but the initial back problems that they went in to correct in the first place are almost un noticeable.
  • I wanted to have both of these done but my surgeon said they could only fuse L5-S1 going in thru the back and to do the disk replacement they would need to go in thru my front. He was worried about flipping me over on the operating table so opted out to separating the surgeries on two separate dates. Fusion first and disc replacement second.

My fusion surgery is on Feb 14th
  • In my case, it took a good two years for the pain to subside from my 360 degree fusion at L-4 to S1. I was told it would take three to six months, but that was way too optimistic.
    Mind you, at the time of my surgery I was 43 and in good health generally. There should be no reason that I could not have recovered sooner. My pain management doctor says my case is, sadly, pretty typical. A two-level fusion with instrumentation is a big deal, much more invasive than many surgeons will let on. Be prepared for a lengthy recovery if this is the type of surgery you are facing.
    I recovered much more quickly from a third surgery, a so-called extreme lateral interbody fusion (XLIF) that is much less invasive than the previous fusion surgeries. However, I have had to endure a good two to three months of pain following the XLIF as well.
    I'm finally doing much better, albeit it with some flare-ups when I overdo it.
  • I am surprised at just how much the recovery peroid is down played. I had a L4 to S1 360 with rods. I was told 3 months to 6 months. I am 56 and in pretty good shape. My surgery was also on 12/28/10. It hurts. All the time. But it's a different hurt. I am guessing it will be between 1 and 2 years, before I'm somewhat back to normal.

The Dr's. must be schooled in th 3-6 months time line. They must know that 3 to 6 mons applies if you are 24 and in perfect health and you had a perfect operation. I would rather hear that my recovery will take another 15 months than to think I am not progressing normally. So if any Drs read this please be honest. It would eliminate a lot of worry out here.

On another note, Does anyone else have problems bending forward like when you put your socks on?...almost impossible for me.

Thats when you hear me say Ouchy!.. or something like it.
  • I had a L3-S1 on Dec 6th 2010 I am at the point now where I have good days and bad days. The mornings are always really bad it is hard to move my legs when I wake up. When that passes usaully after an hour sometimes I can go through a day or two and feel really good with very little pain. The problem is I do to much on the good days and I pay for it ten fold and suffer for the next week. I am hoping for all days to be pain free in the very near future. I am 32 and in good shape an health.

10 surgeries to fix leg and knee over last 10 years
  • I had a diskectomy,PLIF L5 - S1 and decompression with Autograft, rods and screws, 2 months ago. The first couple of weeks were awful- severe pain and I could barely move. But the sciatic pain that was incapacitating me before surgery was completely gone. At 1 month, the pain was reducing unless I bent my body even slightly or sat up in a chair completely straight. I found that leaning back a little or lying down reduced the pain a lot. I am not using a brace. At 3 weeks I tried to drive but had difficulty getting in and out of the car, but more pain just trying to sit upright in the car seat. 1 week later, pain reduced enough that I could drive. Most of my pain is in the area where the bone was taken from my illeum (bone top of the pelvis). At week 7, the pain majorly diminished. I take pain medication only about once or twice a day (tylenol arthritis)
    only if I need it. I have really felt a major change this past week which completes my 2 months.
    The most difficult thing now is since I am not in a brace, remembering not to bend. It does take about 4-6 months for the graft to complete. It is frustrating that I still can't do physical things that I want to do, but it is so much better being able to walk and be free of that severe sciatic pain that went all of the way down my leg. Glad I had the surgery.
  • I had an L4-S1 A/P LIF on 3/2. I have tension bands anteriorly and rods and screws posteriorly. I also had an L5/s1 lateral recess decompression which was a re-do from an extensive decompression procedure two years ago. I was hospitalized for 5 days. I had the double blessing of a superb surgeon and very generous pain management so the only time the pain was really awful in the hospital was the first night after surgery.

On return home, pain was well-controlled w/ Norco. My surgeon predicted I would be off of pain management by three weeks after surgery. It wasn't quite that fast, but nearly - just about 4 weeks. After that, I took tylenol 2-3 time daily. I haven't used anything at all for about two weeks.

I started working half-time (from home, propped up in bed) at 4 weeks.

At 9 weeks, I am essentially pain-free, I walk every morning for about 45 min. At my 6-week follow-up, my surgeon cleared my to go back to the gym, albeit with some pretty narrow activity restrictions.

At this point, I am delighted with the outcome and have no regrets. I feel like my doc gave me my life back. Sometimes when I dwell on it, I even get a little teary - I feel that much gratitude.
  • Info in my sig

At 13 months doing very well. Fully fused and doing pretty much what I want. Not to recommend it, but I quit PT early (too strenuous at that time)and just started to do as much as I felt comfortable doing each day. 60 years old and not 100% pain free everyday. But, mild and tolerable w/o any pain meds. Some days no pain at all. Best decision I ever made. The right diagnosis and Dr is critical. I was off narcs at 3 months. Five to six months is to soon to judge success for many. I would say it took nine months to really start feeling good. I still have a lot of arthritis in spine, so it is not going to ever be painless.

Ken
  • I had a discectomy at l5-s1 in June 2010, same level fusion 7 days later, hardware replacement 4 weeks after fusion due to infection. And am now 5 weeks post op from an anterior fusion on the same label worked on all three previous times. Recovery takes time a relatively long time because the bone has to grow and become healthy. Four surgeries in less than a year have taken their toll on my body, and the sciatic pain is still there. I am 33 years old and was in very good physical health. I just want to encourage you to know that taking it easy is Essex tail for a while and following the doctors recommendations is key. I began to feel better the first week and being very driven I tend to over due it to fast. I was released from the hospital the day after the last surgery, because I was walking a couple of hours after surgery and was feeling great. The first three procedures were done by the same surgeon from the posterior, but Dr.EDITED performed the last one, he is an amazing surgeon and very caring. All that to saymthis your recovery is going to depend on your ability to be disciplined and follow directions, along with keeping your head up and not falling into depression while you recover. You can do this, just be ready to invest time and effort and not expect a quick fix.

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • Hello~ I am glad to find this site. It is helpful to know that others are going thru some things that I am. I had a fusion done on 3/25. Prior to surgery I was having leg pain for years, not realizing it was actually my back. In Nov. the back pain started along with the leg pain. Went to Dr, pain management then surgeon. Had the epidoral done, did not help at all. Before my surgery they had said approx. 3 months out of work. After surgery, they said the back was worse than they thought. They fused my spine, I have 3 rods,and they had to take out my ligaments, which was a surprise. Immediatly after surgery my leg pain was gone! I started PT a few weeks ago. The pain I am now in is bad. My mornings are awful, I feel like my legs wont work, I literally shake with pain for the first hour. When the meds kick in, I start to feel better. If I lay in bed too long, it is worse.So, even though I am so tired, I have to get up early. Then at night I get such bad pains in my leg. It goes from my lower back, down my right side of butt,the back of right thigh, to knee. It is a burning, sharp constant pain. So I basically have a 2 hour window of feeling "not that bad". I take flexeril and percoset. They had me on vicoden which helped more, but they wanted to wean me off the narcotics. I have a bone growth stimulator that I use every night for 1/2 hour ( I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere here) and also a tens unit. I feel like I have a ball in the center, lower part of my back. It gets worse when I walk. It is so tight there,and the "ball" feels as if it gets in my way of movement. The PT says that I am very tight in my back, and she started massages that HURT! She says that I am having alot of leg pain because my nerve is either twisted or scar tissue. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I am due to see the Dr next on June 22 and return back to work on June 27th. I am extremely nervous about going back to work and not being able to make it thru the day. I drive an hour to work. Does anyone else here have alot of pain while in a car? I have a pillow pet (dont laugh..lol) that I use as back support, but the car is like torture. After about 10 minutes I can't stand the pain. I only attempted to drive once to see how I did. It was a 10 minute ride and I wasn't even off my street yet and the pain was almost unbearable. How in the world am I going to return to work and also drive an hour there, an hour home? Is anyone else out on disability and how long have you been out of work? My fear is that I work in PA and I am under FMLA (family medical leave act)and after 3 months of being out, you are terminated. They would have to re-hire you, but not get your current position and lose all health benefits. Is anyone else in the same or similiar position? I'd love some feedback. Thanks so much for "listening"
    ~Cindy
  • Hello~ I am glad to find this site. It is helpful to know that others are going thru some things that I am. I had a fusion done on 3/25. Prior to surgery I was having leg pain for years, not realizing it was actually my back. In Nov. the back pain started along with the leg pain. Went to Dr, pain management then surgeon. Had the epidoral done, did not help at all. Before my surgery they had said approx. 3 months out of work. After surgery, they said the back was worse than they thought. They fused my spine, I have 3 rods,and they had to take out my ligaments, which was a surprise. Immediatly after surgery my leg pain was gone! I started PT a few weeks ago. The pain I am now in is bad. My mornings are awful, I feel like my legs wont work, I literally shake with pain for the first hour. When the meds kick in, I start to feel better. If I lay in bed too long, it is worse.So, even though I am so tired, I have to get up early. Then at night I get such bad pains in my leg. It goes from my lower back, down my right side of butt,the back of right thigh, to knee. It is a burning, sharp constant pain. So I basically have a 2 hour window of feeling "not that bad". I take flexeril and percoset. They had me on vicoden which helped more, but they wanted to wean me off the narcotics. I have a bone growth stimulator that I use every night for 1/2 hour ( I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere here) and also a tens unit. I feel like I have a ball in the center, lower part of my back. It gets worse when I walk. It is so tight there,and the "ball" feels as if it gets in my way of movement. The PT says that I am very tight in my back, and she started massages that HURT! She says that I am having alot of leg pain because my nerve is either twisted or scar tissue. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I am due to see the Dr next on June 22 and return back to work on June 27th. I am extremely nervous about going back to work and not being able to make it thru the day. I drive an hour to work. Does anyone else here have alot of pain while in a car? I have a pillow pet (dont laugh..lol) that I use as back support, but the car is like torture. After about 10 minutes I can't stand the pain. I only attempted to drive once to see how I did. It was a 10 minute ride and I wasn't even off my street yet and the pain was almost unbearable. How in the world am I going to return to work and also drive an hour there, an hour home? Is anyone else out on disability and how long have you been out of work? My fear is that I work in PA and I am under FMLA (family medical leave act)and after 3 months of being out, you are terminated. They would have to re-hire you, but not get your current position and lose all health benefits. Is anyone else in the same or similiar position? I'd love some feedback. Thanks so much for "listening"
    ~Cindy
  • Hi Cindy- I am sorry you are still in so much pain.
    I am at the 5 month point after L5-S1 fusion with rods and screws, facectomies and removal of 2 disks. I am finally pain free. I had excrutiating pain in the car the first couple of months. I also couldn't sit upright in any chair. I finally was able to drive during the 3rd month but I had to tilt the back of my seat as far back as I could to still be able to see out the front window. During the 4th month, I was able to straighten the angle of the seat back a little more upright each week. In the house, I used a recliner chair or lied on the couch. In bed, I lie on my side with my legs bent. At 3 months I was able to sit upright for longer periods of time at restaurants and finally a movie theater. The butt and leg pain that was debilitating before the surgery, was gone from day 1 post op. But the back pain from the surgery (and a lot at the area where bone was taken from my pelvic bone for the fusion) was worse than I had expected. But it is all gone now at 5 months. It became tolerable after the 3rd month. Finally, I don't have to take meds for pain anymore. It takes everyone a different amount of time to heal. It takes about 9 months for the fusion to complete. You didn't mention what type of work you do, but make sure you don't lift anything more than 5-10 pounds, don't twist and take breaks frequently from sitting. See if you can start off working shorter than 8 hour days the first week or 2. If you have a job where you have to sit most of the day, maybe you can bring a chair to work that the back reclines a little.
    It will get better, it just takes time.
  • Thanks so much for replying...My Dr just upped my meds. The pain down my leg is pretty bad. I am wondering if you had the bone stimulator and/or tens unit...also did you do therapy? I am supposed to return to work the 27th..can't see that happening right now. I work a desk job and sit most/all day. At times I feel somewhat better and seem to forget how bad it can get..but it is not for long. Tonight I am in agony. The pain just wont quit.Throbbing,stabbing,burning. Thanks agin for replying it means alot! =)
  • No- I did not have a tens and did not do therapy besides using heat and pain meds. I spent as little time sitting upright as possible and was real careful not to bend. Hope your pain eases up soon. Just take it easy. You will start feeling improvement now week to week but it takes several months.
  • No- I did not have a tens and did not do therapy besides using heat and pain meds. I spent as little time sitting upright as possible and was real careful not to bend. Hope your pain eases up soon. Just take it easy. You will start feeling improvement now week to week but it takes several months.
  • Please allow me to "tell" my story and then feel free to comment/offer suggestions:
    Male 54; Athletic entire life
    2006= Herniated disk L5S1, discetomy
    On July 1, 2011, felt same symptoms as had in 2006. Went to the doctor( same one) on June 3, 2011, MRI was taken.
    Went back to doc on Monday, June 6, 2011, where it was diagnosed that I had blown out the same disc. Doc said it was bad and 2 of his partners that I know both agreed, that basically we needed to do an emergency surgery, so on Thursday, June 9, 2011, I had the surgery. According to the doctor it went well. I have my post op appointment on June 20, 2011, so I am left wondering about several things:
    If you don't get your pain management remotely in control, the pain is absolutely brutal. Today was best day yet. I am on Nordol 1 x every 4 hours and was told to take Advil in between those dosages (which I hate because my stomach can't handle it). There have been times that I have doubled up on the Nordol and also taken Lortab. My biggest concern is that the main pain I had going in to the surgery, I still have: basically the hamstring area into the glute. It is more painful than where the incision /fusion took place. I have read where this is not abnormal, but the doctor told my wife, that I should come out of surgery pain-free in that area. Well I'm not and that has her pretty upset.
    I have been told no work for a minimum of three weeks and will have to wear a back brace for 3-4 months.
    Thanks for allowing me to vent, I never thought this surgery would be so tough
    one thing for sure is that I do not want to go through this again! By the way, if you are fortunate enough to have someone lovingly take care of you.....let them know!
  • Female, 63 yo L5-S1 fusion, facetomies, discetomy
    Jan. 2011

My problem was L5-S1 with pain in the thigh and glut- severe sciatic pain. Along with the L5-S1 fusion, I had both facet joints at L5-S1 removed on both sides which freed up the sciatic nerves. I was pain free in the leg and glut from the minute I woke up from anesthesia. But the incisional, entire low back and bone donor site from my pelvic bone was extremely painful for several weeks. I don't know how your doctor can think you can go back to work in 3 weeks. I couldn't even sit up straight, drive a car or walk more than a little bit for 3 months. And forget even slightly bending. I was taking dilaudid for pain the first month. I don't think you should still be having the pain in your buttock and leg. Ask your doctor if you possibly have impingement of the sciatic nerve.
    I have had several surgical procedures in the past but this was my first back surgery. It was the worst recovery pain imaginable and took the longest to get back to a normal life. I needed help with almost everything the first month. I started feeling pretty good during the 4th month, but still got pain if I bent over. I am 5 1/2 months post op now and feeling great. No pain at all.
    Hope your pain resolves soon - but don't rush trying to get back to a normal life and work. Hope your doctor figures out why you still have the glut and leg pain.
    Linda
  • Thanks Linda,
    It does feel like nerve impingement (sciatica), which is disappointing. At least it should be something I can rehab or get some type of relief, even though that may be a temporary thing. I absolutely refuse to go under the knife again, unless life threatening.
    Going back to work is a lofty goal, when reading so many others stories, but I think possible. I can move around quite a bit and there is no shortage of help. Plus I am a high school administrator and we will not have students until 1st of August. However, I am prepared for the long haul.
    I am so thankful for your kindness, but honesty. Hope your recovery continues to go well.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,742
    You are still so very new in the post-surgery phase.
    Recovering from back surgery takes time. It is very true that many of the newer lumbar surgical procedures are refined to the point, you can return to light work duties much sooner than before.

The sciatica pain you are talking about is probably the after math of the surgery. Healing from nerve damage takes a lot longer than the actual fusion or non-fusion procedures.

Give this some time.....

If the pain increases, then I would suggest talking to your doctor
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ya know ya gotta keep your head up! As bad as it hurts it will ease up. I have had four back surgeries and the leg pain and cramps are starting to get better. It just takes time. Stretch your legs in bed, it helps.
  • Hi, I'm 41, worked out 5-6 days week, very in shape, toned
    4/18 I was hit in a car accident, pcp diagnosed whiplash
    Went to chiro, he said he felt bulging disc, a few days later I began
    To get pain in neck, shoulder, upper chest and down arm
    Numbness in pointer and middle finger. Next MRI, MRI WAS Misread and
    Report faxed to my pcp showed no findings
    Pain became worse to the point I got the pain
    And numbness 90% of the day. Pcp gotme an appt
    With neurosurgeon, they had me pick up CD
    of MRI. herniated disc c6-c7, they explained
    The "jelly" inside of disc was pushed out and
    Hardened compressing root nerve. As the numbness
    Illustrated it was completely compressing nerve
    And the pain was unbearable at that point they
    Scheduled surgery for 4 days later out of fear
    For possibility of permanent nerve damage.
    The surgery was through back of my neck and
    Was to only shave the disc to release pressure of nerve
    When I woke up I had pain at incision site but
    All of the other pain/numbness was 95% gone
    I was up walking around hospital and released the
    Next morning, after a few days I was getting around well. Saw
    Pcp a week after surgery and she removed steri strips
    And checked incision for infection. All good. I felt
    Better everyday, maybe over did it. On day17
    Post surgery I woke up with all the same pain I had
    Before surgery, maybe worse, after crying I called
    Neuro office, I was told it could be swelling, scar
    Tissue could be compressing nerve, and that it is not
    Uncommon for pain to dissapear immediately after
    Surgery and come back within 4-6 weeks. They
    Added flexural to the percocet I was already taken
    And told me to ice it (neck) and take motrin 3-4. Hoursafter
    Percocet. I'm now at day 20 post surgery and pain
    Comes and goes down arm not getting the finger numbness
    Days 17, 18 & 19 the pain was horrible and continuous, day 20
    Today it came and went. I stopped everything I
    Was doing and stuck close to bed couch and short
    Walks. I've tried completely relaxing myself and also
    Keeping positive thoughts.called neuro and left message today.
    I've NEVER had any surgeries for any spinal injuries
    Never had any problems before car accident, I just
    Want my life back and when I think of the prospect
    Of having more surgery or that more stuff came out of disc
    and Hardened, i want to cry, any suggestions or insight
    Would be greatly appreciated.

• I am so sorry to hear of your pain after surgery. I feel your pain. I had my surgery 3/25 and felt like I was improving, and the past few weeks going backwards. I can't drive yet, being a passenger is painful so I only go for short rides. I want my life back also, I know how you feel. When I go to therapy I feel like I am 80 and I am 44. I am supposed to return to work this Monday and am scared to death that I will return and then fail. I have to drive an hour to work..how will I do it?? I go to Dr tomorrow afternoon to see if he releases me. My problem (besides the obvious) is that my work says I have to return by then, or I lose my position that I worked so hard for. FMLA ran out. Unbelievable that I have to go back when my body won't let me. I wonder what Dr will say......good luck to you, I hope you feel better sooon. I wish I could say more to make you feel better, but at this point I don't know what else to say except try to think positive.
  • Hello,

Wanted to share my experience and also benefit from other's experiences on the post-op recovery.

About my lifestyle:
    • Active person but not a regular exercise person.
    • 159 lb,5'8" and late 30's
    • Management Consultant with working hours of about 15 hrs everyday 5-6 days a week
    • Extensive flight and car travel on the job.
    • Married with 2 young kids

History:
    • Radicular leg pain (Sciatic) in May'99.
      [List=I]
    • MRI revealed disc herniation (slip disc) at L4-L5
    • Complete rest with static traction for 3 weeks
    • The pain was gone and resumed normal activities
    [*] Back pain with radicular leg pain in April 2010
    [List=I]
    [*] MRI reveals a disc herniation (7.8 mm) at L4-L5 with mild spinal stenosis
    [*] Static traction 6 weeks with complete bed rest
    [*] Pain was gone and resumed normal activities

[*] Back Pain with radicular leg pain in March 2011
    [List=I]
    [*] Tried chiropractic and intermittent traction
    [*] Got better after 20 sessions (April 2011)
    [*] Relapsed due to my coughing due to allergies (May '11)
    [*] Updated MRI reveals a disc herniation (8 mm) at L4-L5 with mild spinal stenosis and minor scarilations at L5-S1
    [*] Gotten worse through the month of may to the extent that I was not able to sit/stand/walk even for 30 seconds.
    [*] Tried cortisone in 3rd week may without relief
    [*] Doctor's advised surgery as the only resort

Condition few weeks prior to the Surgery:
    • Radiating pain from low back and down the feet
    • Resting horizontally on my back relieved the pain almost instantaneously.
    • If I stand or walk for about 30 seconds, the pain increases rapidly and the worst pain is felt on the outside of the left foot top. The pain is as if someone is crushing my feet or like a truck has run over my feet.
    • If I still bear the pain and continue to stand, within a minute the left leg became completely numb with increasing intensity in pain.
    About the Surgery:
    • Surgery done by one of the well known surgeon in Dallas, TX on June 9th 2011.
    • Per Doctor's view the surgery is considered success.
    • Pre-care and post-care went as expected for the surgery
    • Just had to say overnight at the hospital. Was released to home the next day (6/10)
    • Have been provided with a brace and have been advised to wear it all day and remove it if needed at night. (I am wearing it continuously per the experiences of one of the members' experience)
    • Decided not to push too much towards an accelerated post-op recovery and have decided to just go with the flow i.e. listen to my body and not to over exert at least for the first month or so.
    Post-Surgery progress (almost 2 weeks now):

Positives:[/u]
    Felt a visible relief from the back/leg pain right after the surgery.
    Still on prescribed painkillers and stool softner, but the dosage has been resuced only 1 for the night from every 6 hours during the first week. (Gradual reduction)
    Mostly resting on bed during the last 2 weeks.
    Seeing gradual improvement on my movements:
    [List=I]
    After the first few days of the surgery, was able to walk/stand/sit for about a minute after which the tingling sensation starts with a dull low intensity radiating pain on the left leg.
    Over the last 10 days, I am seeing increasing mobility and movement. I am able to walk for about 2-3 minutes (and believe could push few minutes, if I don't stop just about when I sense the beginning of the dull pain on the foot).

[u]Concerns/Questions:

[list=1]
    [*] Is there anyone with a similar progress projections like me? Is my progress too slow/ normal?
    [*] Would like to know how long it took for others to walk/sit/stand continuously without pain for at least 15 minutes?
    [*] My doctors seems the progress thus far is satisfactory but didn't provide where I am in terms of percentile of progress compared to other patients with similar condition.
    [*] They are also assuring me that once I start the physiotherapy (starts 6/22), I should seem more progress on mobility. How true is that in the experiences of others?
    [*] Sometimes when I look at my body, it looks a little crooked (like an "S"). Some days it is very visible and other days it is not so much bent. Is this common in other's experience?

Would appreciate all comments/experiences/inputs. I do believe that healing is always two-fold.
    1) physical - which the doctors have taken care.
    2) Mental - Forums like this provide answers and experiences of other folks in similar situation which provides a lot of positive assurances and perspectives that potentially could calm the mind and thus help the healing the process.

I hope to benefit of the 2nd plane of healing through this forum.

- SC
  • Went to doctor on Monday for first post op. appointment and it was very encouraging. Doctor said it went real well. As for the pain still on right side, he prescribed neurotin.
    Told me to walk as much as possible. I asked him about going back to work and he said when you can drive, but not on pain medicine ( no kidding). He also said no more than 15 minutes driving at a time. However, we were planning on a trip next week about 6 hours away and told him we would break the drive up. He still said no.
    When onto to say that the next 6 weeks are critical.
    I went to work for 2 hours this morning( wife drove me!) Sitting was very difficult and when I got home I was exhausted.
    One other thing, I am already on 2000 mg's of Depakote a day, so with the neurotin, I have plenty of seizure medicine in me, but the combination is making me really drowsy and tired feeling.
    Overall, good report!
  • Last night while trying to sit down, I heard a pop in my lower back. Today I have some swelling and pain about 4 inches wide where I presume my fusion took place. I 've been taking advil and pretty much stayed in bed to try and get swelling to go away. Has anyone had this happen? I don 't think it would be scar tissue popping because there is swelling. Would appreciate any suggestions.
  • On a positive note, at 4 weeks post op Monday from c6-c7 shaving to
    Remove compression of nerve, although it got better and all pain returned
    17 days post op, then weird pains everywhere with tingling arms
    Legs back both arms and back of head. Good news pain has diminished
    To a tolerable level. Still having some muscle spasms and pain in Right arm
    When using computer but it's alot better, so it seems you can be pain
    Free after surgery a d pai. Returns a week or two after, nerves go crazy
    And it begins to then heal slow but steady:-) so have some faith, I believe
    Healing is part science/medicine and part faith/believing, don't underestimate
    The power of prayer and positive thinking.
  • Post Deleted, Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 06/29/11
  • 3 weeks out. Numbness and pain gone from shoulders and arms. Had headaches before and have had two since.

Slow, slow, slow. Been in a car four times for 15 minute trips. Hurts and wears me out to where I must get in bed for the next day and a half. Began having pain yesterday at the base of my neck where fusion is. Sharp debilitating pain in my head I am not sure why it's happening. Incision sites (hip graft and neck are sore but pain is subsiding there). I walk with a cane due my imbalance and inability to see peripherally. Went to store and rode the cart but felt insecure due to my inability to turn head. I see doc this Thurs, 7/7/11 for my first post op appt. What kinds of questions should I ask him? Scheduled to have tens unit for neck and PT soon.

Is this a normal trajectory for healing? Help.
  • yes it is...but on a good note, the turtle won if you remember...I had a couple levels fused and I though it was never going to end...I am 7 months after and finally I can do most things about 70% as well as I could a couple years ago. I am going skiing this winter and I am 57. No pills at all. Eat good food, and wait it out, you will be fine.
  • Had the same thing happen during sex. Waiting on the surgeon to get back to me, but the PT said she could feel something and it probably wasn't a loose screw or scar tissue. Somewhat worried but having very little pain. PT said scar tissue loosing up usually gives relief. This raised my level to a 2-3 on the pain scale. No drugs.
advertisement