Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CT with myelogram....trouble with C3????

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone. Its been a while since I posted. Surgery was Nov. 09. During my last follow up, I reported to the dr about pain in my neck and left arm. He sent me for gentle PT. During the initial consult with the therapist, he and my surgeon decided that I couldn't have PT until I had a CT with myelogram, which my dr ordered stat. Miraculously, my insurance approved it in less than 6 hours!

I go for the CT myelogram on Wednesday and I'm SUPER nervous. Could anyone who's had it tell me exactly what to expect? I've not had a spinal tap or lumbar puncture before and I've got some anxiety about both the procedure and the results. I'm not too sure if I can handle another period like my last pre-surgery time (3 years) or the postop period.

I sooooo appreciate any responses!http://www.spine-health.com/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Yahoo/worried.gif

Yvonne :S

• Hi Yvonne,

AS far as the myelogram goes it is a fairly straight forward test. I myself have had four of them with all of them being the same. You will go in to the facility they will have you change into the attire. The doctor should come in and talk to you and explain the procedure. They will take you to the exam room and have you lay on your side. The doctor will use some local numbing medicine then they will insert the needle and add the dye in. During the procedure you will just lay flat and they will tilt the table to move the dye in the desired locations. Once the procedure is over they may take you to a CT scanner and get pics with the dye in place. After that you will be asked to lay flat for a few hours then discharged to your home and instructed to lay flat. You will want to be sure to follow that order of laying flat so you don't get the spinal headache. The following day you can be up and about but shouldn't lift anything heavy for a few days.

It is a pretty straight forward procedure. If your on any medications you might want to check with the facility to see if you should take them or not. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • Thanks Tamtam. It is disappointing to have to do this test after surgery. Its my fault, granted. Still disappointed and really nervous that there is now more damage. Hopefully this is something that conservative treatment can alleviate. That wasn't the case with my previous neck issues.

I never thought I was a punk or a crier. However, when the surgeon and therapist both considered some nerve issues at C3...I cried and yeah, I'm scared. LOL....

Thanks again. This website has been a godsend. I may not have posted in a bit but I check it all the time.