Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Adjustable Beds

sassy411ssassy411 Posts: 199
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in Chronic Pain
The Wall Street Journal did a piece a few days ago about re-branding the adjustable bed to get people to stop thinking of them as a hospital bed. The promoters are calling them "lifestyle" beds.

It got me thinking about being able to sleep with my head raised to keep my nose from stuffing up but not having to tweak my neck all up with 2 pillows. Sounded good to me.

Thoughts?
advertisement

Comments

• Hubby and I bought a Sleep Number bed about 7 years ago, which I love, but looking back I would have gotten the additional bells and whistles with it - the ability to raise the head and foot of the bed either independently or together and the vibrator that comes with the raising features.

I don't mind or have a problem sleeping flat, but there are definitely times when I'd sure love those additional features.

Hindsight is 20/20, as usual, but I still love my bed.

Cathie
  • We did the same about 7 years ago and it's nice, but ya being able to raise the head or sit up would be awesome! I would recommend them to anyone for sure!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    for about 15 years. We just went out and purchased a new one.
    Its sort of a long process since I have to really test out each mattress. I havent been sleeping in a bed for over 2 1/2 years because of my shoulders, so finding something that works is important.

We finally settle on a Sleep to Live. But what we did get was an adjustable frame. I tried that out and being able to lift the head and raise the bed under your knees is a BIG plus.

We dont take shipment for about 4 weeks, but I will report back on how it feels
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • We got the Tempurpedic, but did not get the adjustable frame. I really wish we would have spent the extra money to get what we really wanted, but at the time, it already seemed so expensive. Since the mattress has a 20 year warranty, it really makes sense to get everything you really want to have in a bed over the next 20 years, and that sort of thinking really makes the cost more reasonable.
    Well, in 2029, I will be sure to get the bed I really want!!
  • Last August I bought the TempurPedic (cloud) adjustable bed, and for the most part, have been in heaven for the bed department since! I've found an "almost" pain free position in it now. Feet up max, and head about 15-20 degrees elevated - heaven!! :)

Oh, and I did get the massage package with it too!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Anyone ever hear of insurance covering an adjustable bed! Propping up pillows isn't working and I sleep like dirt.
  • Your Dr can write script for it, and some insurance companies will let you rent or possibly buy a hospital bed. I got one 4 years ago.My insurance sucks and didnt, but I do know of some that have had theirs covered. Check it out. It really helps and I couldnt have done it without mine.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Now that it has been several months since sleeping on our adjustable bed, I really have to say it has helped with my sleeping.

Just being able to prop up my knees at different heights is perfect. Then when I want my head up, its great. I can keep them both up or both down. As an added feature, a massage unit was also included which is a nice little extra.

The only thing I 'wished' we would have done is to get a model that has two separate beds (King size), so each person can control how they want it. I remember Tony (aka backache99, aka Straker) told me that that would be a really good way to go.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i can't get off a flat bed and the VELDA electrical adjustable bed with a combination mattress {box spring/memory foam } all made from the highest grade materials are fantastically comfortable and extremely well made.i highly recommend them to any one with a bad back .if you live in the uk sleep masters and dreams have a massive selection of beds .beware of beds that the frame is made from cheap pine wood you need a steel frame with sprung slats velda and tempur are the best velda being a bit cheaper {tip sleep masters do the velda proflex 30 under there own name and its called the sensa foam revolution and you will save your self about 500 pounds per bed } there are many electrical adjustable beds available nowadays and unlike the old days when they looked like a hospital bed you can now get an electrical adjustable bed that look like a normal high end bed. they even make a wood sleigh style bed .happy shopping
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.