Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 PARS Fracture

BetsyBootstrapBBetsyBootstrap Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
I had a pedicle screw fixation in August 2009 (even though my doctor told me he was doing an entirely different surgery) and 1 year later a CT scan showed no fusion and a PARS fracture. The pain after surgery is much, much worse than it was before surgery. I wish I had never agreed to the fusion. Now I am advised that TWO surgeries are needed and I won't be a whole lot better after months of recovery. What is the point?
I can't seem to get straight answers from anyone.
What I would really like to try is taking the titanium OUT - if no fusion has taken place, WHY can't it be taken out?

That still leaves the PARS fracture of L5. Has anyone ever had one of those and what did it take to fix it?

• I was diagnosed with bilateral pars defect of L5. I underwent several conservative treatments that did nothing for the pain (chiro, PT, injections, etc) and finally had an interbody fusion with laminectomy and nerve root recompression. The surgery was a month ago today, so I can't yet tell you if it will help with the pain. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • Im in the same boat as sickntired. Im healing from a fusion, it involved 3 levels of my spine and a pars defect.

I think taking the titanium out might actually make the pain you're experiencing worse. Maybe ask your physician for a full explanation of what needs to be done and why, remind the doctor you arent trained in this so you need laymans terms.

After all, it is your body, and he/she is the mechanic. You are hiring them to fix you. Ever hear of a mechanic that does the job without telling you what he did or what parts needed to be replaced or were replaced? same situation, except this is serious business. Its your body. Demand answers you can understand.

Be well! and BE STRONG!
This discussion has been closed.