Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

backpainzzbbackpainzz Posts: 116
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
HOw many of you that have SCS still use narcotics, I still take hydrocodone 10/325 4 times a day, the cold winter still gives me aches and pains, Im hoping by summer I can be off alltogather. THe pns that is supppose to help with low back pain need adjusting and I see the rep on FRI. This has really been a godsend and no more pain down my legs, I wish the doctors would have put this in a couple of years a go. Rose

• I would be truly thankful if all I took was 40 mgs of Hydrocodone a day. Unfortunately, I take a 120 mgs of oxycodone per day and I run the stimulator 24/7.

• Being on less meds is still a goal of mine too, but I am on a smidge more now than I was when I got my permanent implant - 15 mg roxicodone q 4 hrs and 25 mg fentanyl patch q 3 days. I am no longer on lyrica and require less zanaflex.

• I still need help with pain relief too, but when my stimulator stopped working for a week or so late last year, I realized just how much it was helping!
  • I take no narcotic pain medication. I do still take Neurontin and Celebrex.

• I'm still on meds and have had a bump up, but that is for other pain the SCS doesn't help. Without the SCS, I'd still be in a recliner 24/7 and in a zombie state from zoning out to avoid that pain.

I'd do it again 500%. Never turn it off.

• Cherish, you hit the nail on the head there. It's not just about what you're still taking, it's also about what you're now doing.

I'm still on narcotics, but with the SCS, my meds can actually work. I consider it a partnership between my SCS and my meds. They each have a purpose and when they work together, everything goes smoothly for me. But, if one side of the partnership gets out of whack, everything goes in the crapper.

• Bionic Woman, you hit the nail on the head! I think it is hitting on the right combination of things in my case that has made the difference. The SCS didn't do it by itself, but I'm functioning in life so much better now with the combination of medication and the SCS and neither did the trick by themselves. Every time I see my pain management doctor these days, I want to kiss him (haven't done that, but he knows how happy I am).
  • Thankyou all so much for your imput, I cant believe how much the scs has helped, unfortunayly the pns isnt working quite right. it ony covers an area ofabout 1" to the left, nothing on the right. It was inserted through scar tissue from my previous lamnectomy. Its suppose to cover the size of about a 5" radious arond L4/5/S1, the med rep tried all differant combinations, and my question was could the left side of the lead be dead or malfunctioning? I dont want another surgery, since my insurance went ahead and covered the pns evan though its not FDA approved yet. I keep it on 1.50, bairly feel it but it helps some, maybe in a year or so I may, or when the IPG dies in 9 or 10 years Ill get that taken care of. I was hoping I'd get off my hydro, but if everyone else is still comfortable with it Im going to keep it too, as it does helpwith the back pain, and I still use my ice packs.
  • When was your SCS/PNS placed?