Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

walking difficulty after back surgery

ScottySScotty Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had three back surgeries. Condition caused from playing college football. I am fused from L1 to S1, two clamps with six screws, rods all the way from L1 to S1, and the last surgery had a wedge inserted in my spine to keep me from "walking in the wind". Also had to have rods inserted on the inside of my spine. This surgery entrance had to be made from the front. I have very much nerve damage, calf muscle damaged and causes problem walking. Both feet tingle and go to sleep easily. I cannot hyper-
extend my back. This causes much pain. If it were not for barbed wire, bailing twine and duct tape, I would be in a lot of trouble (kidding). Anyway, walking is a problem for me due to the above.

• I too have a similar problem. I have had L3 through S1 and C4 through C7 fused with rods, screws, plates and bone grafts from my hip. I feel like I am limping every time that I walk. I too have the same problem when I try to bend my back or neck more than I should, It hurts like hell! Dr. told me that your lower back is pretty forgiving until you fuse the L5-S1 vertebrae together along with other vertebrae at the lumbar level. Hope you get to feeling better soon!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I've been told walking for exercise outside is okay but I shoudl ban myself for life from my treadmill. The best option per my doc and PT is a stationery recumbent bike. Since we don't have the room for that I'm doing a "fee per month" to use the one at my PT office (I can go anytime a PT is there but they are not treating me). After that I'm looking for a local health club with plenty of stationery recumbent bikes to use at hopefully $20/mo or less.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I know were you are comeing from I have 6 screws & rods with cages L3-4-5-s1 bottom level did not heal after 18 months have tingling legs & feet all the time will have second srgery later this month not sure the day yet hope this works
  • poodlemama99ppoodlemama99 Posts: 44
    edited 07/22/2014 - 7:32 AM
    I also have 4 levels fused with 8 rods and 12 screws and cadaver bone as discs. I have had 3 surgeries on one bunion and one on the other bunion. Currently I have a flat foot because of all the surgery on left foot. I also have a numb leg on the left to go with the bad foot.
    I still say walking is the best thing you can do, even if it hurts.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002