Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 month after ACDF c5-6

M1ichele35MM1ichele35 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 1 month after my surgery. Still in a lot of pain. I started PT Thursday which is exactly at the one month mark. My doctor did not believe in collars. Which freaked me out to start. Especially when I forgot, and my head goes back a tad to far when I sat down. I had a post op at 2 weeks, and an x-ray, and despite the fact that I smoke. (I have tried quitting many times.) It was doing whatever it was suppose to. My PT asked when my next doctors apt. was. I don't have one. So, I called the doctors office yesterday. The nurse type person said unless I have problems I am good to go. Her exact words when I said "no more x-rays?" was "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Is this normal? I would think that the doctor would like to check it at some point to make sure it is doing what it's suppose to. Yes? No? I have learned from my PT that pretty much everything I feel is normal, and no worries. It just makes me nervous that the doctor does the operation. Does a 2 week post op, and then see ya later. Seems from what I have read that people have x-rays to check a little further along. Any info on this would be great. Michele :/

• I think that's not good, frankly, but not uncommon. I'm lucky that my surgeon follows me for two years for each surgery, so he's mine for another year.

I hate it when someone has spine surgery and is released as "good to go" two weeks post-op. That's a bunch of crap, if you ask me, which in a way you did.

Good luck on recovery and don't hesitate to call that surgeon if you have any post-op questions, problems or issues. They should be there for you for the duration, meaning until you fuse or know you're truly good to go.

Just my take.
  • I would say that is uncommon to just be seen at 2 weeks postop and leave it at that. I was checked 4 weeks postop with x-ray, then 8 weeks, then 3 months. Your PT will be sending reports to your surgeon so basically you are still under his care.

Personally, I would see if you can book another follow-up appointment at 8 weeks postop with an x-ray to check that you are fusing properly. Especially I would want to know this with being a smoker. Does the surgeon know of this?

• My N.S. saw me for 1 year post op. Its now been 1 year and 3 months post op. and I am happy to report I have NO PAIN and NO NERVE trouble. I work full time driving and unloading a semi and have suffered no problems!. I find myself forgetting I even had surgery! I am a heavy smoker and fused 100% FAST no problens!
  • I would be upset and concerned. This is major surgery and to be released a 2 weeks is crazy. I saw my surgeon at 2 weeks and 6 weeks and have another appt at just under 3 months. I would demand x rays to check on bone growth at these intervals. I know I also call and speak to the office if I have any concerns. One of the reasons I am with the practice I am is because of the follow up care. I am however upset that they do not believe in PT until the 3 month mark. Oh well. I hope everything goes smoothly and as well as can be expected for everyone.
  • My surgery experience was almost the same. Had C5-6, 6-7 ACDF on 31 March in Germany, spent one night in hospital. Had follow-up at one week post-op, then they sent me back to my base in Turkey, where all we have is family practice doc. Now I'm about 3 mos. post-op and I'm wondering....what's next?
    My boss is all over me to start running and push-ups and crap again. Shouldn't there be some PT or X rays? Something?
    My doc here has NO idea what she's doing. I went in for an appointment after one month and she asked me what was next...hmmmm.
  • It's sad that NSs pretty much only care about the surgical end of the whole process. My last visit was around 3 months post-op. I had my x-rays done with flexion and extension views. He said that I'm fused and will see me between 6-9 months post-op. I started PT about 4 weeks ago. Now I'm on a home program and hope to improve steadily. I've gotten more information on recovery from my PT than my NS.

Hope your recovery is going well and you will be pain free in the near future! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I am happy to say my OSS and the PA have been great. I have called with questions and always get a return call. Any time I was nervous they would always ask if I wanted to come in and be seen. Which I did. I was having some pain and they immediately took x rays and then an MRI to make sure all was okay. My issues were shoulder area pain, odd feeling in my left wrist, hand turning cold, reddish and bluish. It may just be Raynauds, but still not sure. They think they ruled out TOS and RDS. I am not totally convinced. Just keeping an eye on it now. I went for a 6 month and will go back at 9 months and then at a year. But I feel comfortable that I can go back when ever and how often I would like. It is very important to make sure the OSS or NS is both competent surgeon and has after care abilities.

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/2011 Have Tens Unit
    6 months/ no more bone stimulator/ end plates fused
    Still want to gain more ROM and strength